Acceleration in city and/or bumper to bumper driving?

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been driving the car like an old turd. I did some reading which claimed that the vehicle will actually get better fuel economy in the subject situation if I give it 80 percent throttle until I reach my target speed.

The 80 percent throttle thing worked out better on my MK1 focus Zetec.

What is the situation here and if the 80% throttle thing applies does it also apply to an 01m?

Thanks.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
In city traffic, it’s not quite as simple as full load up to cruising speed. You need to look ahead and plan some. If full throttle acceleration means you are on the brakes shortly after, then it’s a bad idea.

So basically look ahead and plan. If you know you’ll likely be on the brakes or coasting soon, accelerate more gently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes - you need to get smart about acceleration and braking to get best possible MPG - look ahead as far as possible - at least the next light.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks....if there is no one in front of me though then what about the 80% method? Often, I am stopped at a light and there is no one in front of me.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
If you can look ahead and it seems that you can get to your cruising speed and remain there for a while, you should accelerate briskly and shift early.

But every now and then, let it wind out for a bit to keep the turbo clean. My highway on ramp routine, at least a few times a day, is short shift first second, then wring it out in third to cruising speed (70mph, give or take a few), ten drop it into 6th. YOur turbo will thank you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
80% throttle only works well if you can do it and then keep it on cruise or steady state for some time. This pretty much rules out city and bumper to bumper traffic. In town drive like you have no brakes. Try to catch all the lights green. Time them by slowing slightly so you just don't run up on a red light and have to stop. Accelerate and brake as little as possible. Maintain a steady speed whenever possible.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Right here. If you are getting on the interstate or other long stretch of road and staying on it for some time, accelerate at 80% throttle to quickly get up to speed. Then maintain as needed for as long as needed. 80% throttle does you no good if you are just going to stop again in a short distance. 80% throttle will just waste fuel if you have to do it repeatedly.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Right here. If you are getting on the interstate or other long stretch of road and staying on it for some time, accelerate at 80% throttle to quickly get up to speed. Then maintain as needed for as long as needed. 80% throttle does you no good if you are just going to stop again in a short distance. 80% throttle will just waste fuel if you have to do it repeatedly.
How about a scenario where I can get up to speed but I am interrupted by traffic that can't possibly be avoided in about a mile?

Drive like a slow turd still or is the 80% ok?

Thanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Drive normal. There is no need to drive like a "slow turd". No one is going to be able to hold your hand for every driving decision you will have to make. You must decide what needs to be done for the conditions at hand. You may not have all the info either as the traffic situation is fluent and constantly changing. Do what you think is right and adjust as needed. But if you are buried in traffic jack rabbit starts will only cost you. Your auto trans isn't helping either. It sucks fuel more than a manual would.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the car is driven gently for a very long time, you will want to floor it to redline a couple of times every once in a while. (I use the metric of once per hour of engine operation.) This will keep a large slug of fluid from collecting in the bottom of the intercooler.

Cheers,

PH

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Drive normal. There is no need to drive like a "slow turd". No one is going to be able to hold your hand for every driving decision you will have to make. You must decide what needs to be done for the conditions at hand. You may not have all the info either as the traffic situation is fluent and constantly changing. Do what you think is right and adjust as needed. But if you are buried in traffic jack rabbit starts will only cost you. Your auto trans isn't helping either. It sucks fuel more than a manual would.
No one is asking anyone to hold their hand. :confused: Just wanted to know more about it.

Anyways, here is the thread....

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tdi-better-mpg-hard-acceleration-29184.html

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nothing there you haven't been told here. By holding your hand I meant you will have to make decisions based on your driving conditions. They vary all the time. Unless you constantly drive for better economy you will probably see little difference. It takes very little normal driving to upset a weeks worth of good driving.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing there you haven't been told here. By holding your hand I meant you will have to make decisions based on your driving conditions. They vary all the time. Unless you constantly drive for better economy you will probably see little difference. It takes very little normal driving to upset a weeks worth of good driving.
Your post seemed condescending to me in that I was just asking the same thing as others might want to know. It's obvious to me that no one can sit in my seat and modulate the pedal based upon traffic at the moment. I was just looking for some guidance.

Thanks.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
01M,

Be aware that there is a setting in VCDS that controls the way the auto shifts. The default is "adaptive", the CCM changes the shift points to the
way you drive. The "cruise" setting has fixed points. As I've suggested previously, you might want to try shifting the auto to control the revs better to suit driving conditions, and to occassionally hit higher rpms to keep the
intake, egr, and turbo cleaner. Cleaning your intake and entire EGR system
will reap more FE benefits at this stage than anything else. The auto is particularly prone to clogging in my experience.

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
01M,

Be aware that there is a setting in VCDS that controls the way the auto shifts. The default is "adaptive", the CCM changes the shift points to the
way you drive. The "cruise" setting has fixed points. As I've suggested previously, you might want to try shifting the auto to control the revs better to suit driving conditions, and to occassionally hit higher rpms to keep the
intake, egr, and turbo cleaner. Cleaning your intake and entire EGR system
will reap more FE benefits at this stage than anything else. The auto is particularly prone to clogging in my experience.
Thanks for doing letting me know. I am using a variation of this idea to have "bad" tank runs where I "cut my losses". Having a good time.

Appreciated.