1984 Toyota Truck, Willow Creek, CA, $6000

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
1984 Toyota pickup, extra-cab, four wheel drive. Blue/blue. 1997 VW (1Z) TDI 1.9 turbo Diesel. Conversion completed 8 years ago by me. 265,000 miles on truck, ~203,000 miles on engine. ~35,000 miles on the swap. Stock 5-speed Toyota manual (original G52 transmission), manual Warn locking hubs. 29-30 mpg consistently at 6000'. Smog exempt. $110/year registration fee. Custom transmission adapter plate more precisely built than ACME or others. Lifetime warrantied Trailgear transmission/transfer case mount. Recent carrier bearing, and there's a new spare I'll throw in. 4wd works very well. Very smooth shifting.

Just about everything on the truck has been rebuilt or replaced, used but maintained. It drives very nicely, albeit firmly, on 9-way adjustable Rancho 9000s, 4 years old now but with a lot of life left in them. BFG AT 31x10.50s take it about anywhere you want to go.

Pros
Torque. PP520 injector nozzles, Frankenbuilt chip tune, 2.5" exhaust with resonator only, K&N cone intake filter, aftermarket intercooler. Estimated >130hp and >250 ft lbs tq.

Healthy fuel injection pump.
Timing belt water pump etc. good for at least 50,000 more miles.
Modern JVC stereo with CD/USB/Sirius/Pandora/Aux input and Kicker 6x9s.
Heater works, and heater core was replaced with new 8 years ago.
Rear disc brake conversion using Cadillac rotors and Sky manufacturing adapter kit and Summit racing proportioning valve.
Newer seats from a mid-90's truck. Small tear now on driver's side seat.
Sliding rear window.
Aftermarket Grant GT steering wheel.

Campershell (aluminum) with sliding window and working shocks.
Lumber rack that works well and looks good with removable rear crossbar. (Shell and camper don't mount together but could be modified to do so.)
Steel rear bumper with 2" trailer hitch and working pigtail.
All lights and switches work.
Boost, pyro, and oil temp analog gauges.
LED CEL light and glowplug light. (Long glow plug timing programmed)

Peugeot fuel filter housing featuring manual priming button/valve. Large, marine-grade Fleetguard fuel filter with (unconnected) filter wear indicator and heating element. 4 new extra fuel filters.
Viton fuel lines throughout.
Strong 2kW Hi-Torque starter.
1800lb Marlin Crawler clutch.

3-4 year old very nice aluminum radiator.
Bombproof custom motor mounts.
3 year old tie rod ends.
Land Cruiser dual chamber brake master cylinder.

Cons (maybe features, depending on viewpoint)
No ebrake. Have mechanically controlled line lock, just haven't needed to install it. (Use 4-lo and 1st gear.)
No horn. Electronic disc thing at steering wheel need to be replaced. Horn is new and installed, but only later did I discover why it wasn't working.
Typical rear fender rust spots.
No ABS (new front pads going in soon)
No airbags.
Paint fade and lifting on hood. Only tailgate and rear quarter panels have very small dents.
No AC. Heater switch needs to be left on all the time for coolant flow. Fans, defrost, heater, vents work fine.
No coolant temp gauge. I know the truck well enough to know if it's hot or going to overheat (never has even come close). I have VAGCOM and use it if needed to monitor temp. It's never come close, even over Buckhorn Summit/Whiskeytown heavily loaded mid-day in July.

Despite a new rear main crankshaft seal in May 2019, it still has a small, irregular oil leak. While the engine was out, everything else I could see was examined and addressed as warranted.

Small water leak at top of windshield.

Some extra parts come with it, as do all of my records and receipts since taking ownership in early 2009.

Right now it's running well will remain my daily driver. Mileage will increase.

Selling because I need a safer and bigger travel rig and work truck that my wife can also drive comfortably. Wish I could keep it, but I can't. This truck rips and has many many more miles left in it. I'd drive it anywhere on a moment's notice.

Email works best. Plenty of pics available via email, I just don't have them hyperlink-able.

https://s825.photobucket.com/user/tr...?sort=3&page=1

https://s825.photobucket.com/user/truckeebiofuels1/media/Toyota%20Running/ToyotawithtankNoc2011_zps9e605401.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Any way you can host somewhere other than photopissbucket?

Can't get any pictures to come up?

GLWS!

CptJackSparrow

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
This is a sweet truck. If I wasn't so wrapped up in buying carl's blue B4V in Florida (and if you were willing to lower the price a bit) I would be over there in a heartbeat.

I need a car for personal use, though. the B4V will be return better dividends in the long run.

Luck on selling the truck!