outside mirror rattle fixed

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I have been living with an annoying rattle from the passenger side rear view mirror so I finally decided to do something about it. The problem was not delamination of the mirror from the backing, which is often the culprit.

I popped out the mirror by hand (after adjusting it so that it was pointed inwardly as much as possible) and the black piece of trim that basically surrounds the central mirror pivot mechanism was loose and could move enough such that it was contacting the mirror shell. So I found a piece of about 1/16 inch thick pliable foam/padding, the kind you use to prevent foot blisters, which is what I had available, and managed to press it in between the black plastic trim and the mirror shell. It's in there snug and the rattle is GONE.

My old bluegrass music cassette tapes rattling around in the door pocket were also making a racket but I placed them in a bag in the back seat. Hot Rize, Paul Adkins and the Borderline Band, Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers :D. . . .

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
My driver's side mirror was flipping & flopping, so I followed a YouTube on removal, but the mirror came off the backing in the process, so I super glued it back on, and reinstalled, and now it is solid as a rock.