BioDiesel Road Trip

mcwig

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Myself and a few others are going to be taking a road trip in my TDI later in May. We will be driving from MN to Austin, Tx (to attend a Wind Energy Conference) and will be starting out with a full tank of B100.
Does anyone have any suggestions for where we could purchase more B100 along the way?
The route would be along I-35 all the way. Ideally we would probably refuel somewhere in KS, and in Tx, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
Chris, look here:
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm

There's only one place in Texas, but lots in Iowa and Missouri, essentially the biodiesel capitals of the US right now (well, California is up there too). Hm, oops, just checked - looks like several of the places in Missouri are just B2. Maybe call some of the others to see if they sell B100.

Unfortunately, the place in Texas is about 4 hours away from Austin.

mcwig

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Mike,

I guess I should have mentioned that I already looked there and didn't see anything listed above B20.
You are right though, I should probably call some of them and see what they say.
I was hoping someone might be able to save me the trouble.

BTW, I enjoyed reading through all your posts in the "Hybrid Diesel Will Outperform Fuel Cells" thread from a while back.

Chris

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
mcwig said: MN to Austin, Tx...along I-35

Hmmm. Iowa State operates a BioDiesel demonstration factory just a few miles from I-35 in Ames. It's probably sooner than you need to refuel...but it might help.

If you are interested email me and I'll check with a faculty contact I have there.

The map referenced above shows a location in Nevada (quite close to I-35).

Heart of Iowa Coop -- 22703 600th Ave, Nevada, IA 50201; (515)-382-5461; 20% year round

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
I head out Friday myself....running from CT to Norfolk VA. I am currently holding ~14 gallons of BD (~10 gal of B90 in tank and a 5 gal container of B100 on the garage floor).

My best bet looks like a stop in Easton MD. Anyone here frequent the station on Rt 50 east of town (an Amoco w/ B100 I think)? I plan on calling ahead, but perhaps a regular customer can chime in.

This stop will take me a whole 22 miles outta my way....assuming we take the Eastern route as I overcome the objections of my navigator calling for us to avoid the DE/MD route altogether. Any familiarity here with Hwy 13 from Wilmington to Norfolk via the Chesapeake Bridge? Is it above bearable or will I wish I had taken the route thru Baltimore/DC/Richmond instead?

Last question: is it foolishness to consider road tripping with a 5 gal container (or two!) of BD in Jake's trunk? I do not plan on being rear-ended, but then one can't really control that eventuality....experiences anyone? Legal issues?

Thx,

Thomas

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
The trip down through De. and Md.'s eastern shore is a lot nicer than the route through Baltimore and DC. Trust me on this.
The bridge/tunnel/bridge between Md. and Va. is nice, too. Puts you near Norfolk.
Don't worry about carrying BD in your car. It doesn't smell bad at all, and is not considered to be a flammable substance. It is combustable, but the flash point is 300 degrees fahrenheit. Not dangerous at all.
If any spills, just clean it up like it was a kitchen mess. Vegetable oil is nice stuff.
The Easton Amoco is run by a nice guy. Their B100 was $2.69/gallon last month. I think they keep normal gas station hours, but calling ahead is always best.
He gave me some BD stickers and window decals when I was there. Very cool!

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Brioscoot, Thx kindly for the info and, after I print out this thread, for the written documents to convince my less adventurous passenger that the eastern shore is a good ride and the right ride for all the right reasons!

This works out, it will be the first BD from a regular pump for me and if I can catch your buddy again on the return trip, I'll top it off even though I'll only be down what? 4, maybe 5 gallons?

T

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
CT --> VA --> CT --> 1060 miles round trip

stopped at Easton Amoco for fill up + 5 gal container

nice fella, but pricing was a bit to swallow ($2.69/)

ran with BD95+ most of trip, then topped off with ~5.5 gal at a BP diesel pump (label said 40 Cetane? hmmmm). got the BP about 1/3 of the way back on the return leg giving me a tank of BD~63 for the rest of the ride.

avg mpg ~45.4, avg speed ~74mph (not including three separate 20-30 minute bouts with serious traffic back-ups plus some short 80-90mph runs on NJT and the Hutch/Merrit Parkway)

Jake performed flawlessly

T