No cruise control, with cruise light on

gotdiesel

TDI
'02 jetta, '03 Jetta Wagon
03 Jetta auto. With cruise switch in on position and dash cruise light on, speed will not set at any speed. Could it be a problem with the brake pedal switch. I could understand it if the cruise would not kick off when you hit the brake but in this case it just will never set. No one has messed with the ECU but there was a glow plug light (has reset). Used an OBDII and there were no DTC's. Had the recall brake switch installed a couple of years ago.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
yep, sounds like brake lights. If the brakelight switch was dead you wouldn't be able to get the car into drive.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
WrEkkED said:
yep, sounds like brake lights. If the brakelight switch was dead you wouldn't be able to get the car into drive.
Are you serious ? A burned out tailbulb and the cruise control stops working ? What an idiotic design.

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
It is not just one burned out bulb but all the of the big side brake lights burned out. It is a kind of cool design for idiots like me who do not do bulb checks often enough.

gotdiesel

TDI
'02 jetta, '03 Jetta Wagon
Used standard bulbs, and since I can't figure out by looking at the little diagrams on the fuse panel which one is cruise, i checked them all. They all appeared to be good. (my Jettta doesn't have a fuse in the #5 position). Any way thank you all for your help I think I'll just let it go for now, we rarely used the cruise anyway.

dicers

TDI
2005 Golf
My upper brake light at the top of the hatchback ('05 Golf) is burned out, and my cruise doesn't work either. Could this light cause cruise to fail?? They want $95 for that light assembly!! They didn't have this in stock anyway so I thought I'd ask here before buying one.

nocebl

TDI
2004 GOLF TDI
dicers said:
My upper brake light at the top of the hatchback ('05 Golf) is burned out, and my cruise doesn't work either. Could this light cause cruise to fail?? They want $95 for that light assembly!! They didn't have this in stock anyway so I thought I'd ask here before buying one.
Please can you tell us who are " THEY"
Let me guess - stealership.

dicers

TDI
2005 Golf
Yes of course the dealer. I'm looking for an alternative source, but it doesn't look promising. Most of them are American websites, and by the time I pay for freight and brokerage fees, I might as well buy it at the dealer.

dicers

TDI
2005 Golf
And by the way, how do you get at this third brake light? I don't want to just start pulling at the plastic "shell" all the way around the back window until I break something. I have a MKIV Golf.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Dicer, a Bentley service manual would do you a world of good.

nocebl

TDI
2004 GOLF TDI
As JB05 sugested Bentley and VCDS are must have things when you own a VW. Try to troubleshoot burned brake light bulbs. If that doesn't work you have to check for bad cruise control module.