Hit a Deer

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Took out the front grill,Right head light,2 of the lovers in the bumper,Put a dent in the drivers side pillar,part the windshield is attached to, scratch on the rear quarter panel and a scratch on the windshield. Thought the deer was going to be on my lap when it hit the windshield. It also looks like the pillar is bowed out just below the small dent on it. Might be a hard time putting in a new windshield. I haven't opened the hood yet since the insurance people will have to look it over. I don't think the hood will close once it is opened. Also looks like the hood latch area is pushed in close to the radiator. No one was hurt and the deer ended up in the ditch dead of course. Poor thing. I try hard not to hit them but this one was coming down a hill and was on the hi-way before I saw it.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
it happens... just be glad you weren't in the bug... or the big bear!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
alphaseinor said:
it happens... just be glad you weren't in the bug... or the big bear!
Bug looks like it hit one right now with the front fenders off and cracked windshield. The Big Bear is to noisy for a deer not to hear me coming.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Lefty said:
Bug looks like it hit one right now with the front fenders off and cracked windshield. The Big Bear is to noisy for a deer not to hear me coming.
don't drive it near Austin... the further south you go, the dumber (and more imbred) the deer get!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
alphaseinor said:
don't drive it near Austin... the further south you go, the dumber (and more imbred) the deer get!
Funny thing, There is an Austin Colorado which is just 9 miles down the road from where I hit that deer.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Antsrcool said:
too bad theyll probably total your car or it will be close.....
I am thinking $2000 maybe $3000 tops to fix it. Parts from 1stvwparts.com including Rear view mirror, head light assembly, front bumper cover, Hood, Grille Assembly, Lovers and windshield total $945 plus shipping and then the Auto body guy to paint them. Of course those are discounted parts and not MSRP. If they total it I will buy the car back and fix it my self and just drive with a flat black hood and bumper for now. I am not counting the replacement of the windshield or other parts nor am I counting the door frame and paint missing off the rear bumper. But $3000 still sounds right. Of course they have pro's to tell me what the real cost is going to be. Will let you know when I get a quote.

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Antsrcool said:
i thought the window post was bent as well?? thats where it gets pricey
Well it has a dent and looks bowed outward but I didn't hear any air coimg in from it when I drove home. This is the frame around the drivers door, I thought or posted it as the pillar but it was just the door. Not sure if there is damage under the Rubber framing around the windshield or not.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Last edited:

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
wow! sorry about the damage, but that is the least damage that I have seen from a deer strike! I live in PA so you see them too frequently on the road. Too bad, lot of people die that way.

Good luck on the repairs!!

Rick
ps: for those who have a good stomach and are not eating, check out what it looks like when you hit a moose! www.zenwaiter.com/moosephoto.htm

Last edited:

imnotted

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Did it hit the windshield on the driver's side? It doesn't look like the A-pillar is bowed out so much as the windshield is pushed in on that side, though I don't know how that happens without breaking the windshield...

maverick06 said:
ps: for those who have a good stomach and are not eating, check out what it looks like when you hit a moose! www.zenwaiter.com/moosephoto.htm
Hmm...for some reason I feel compelled to buy a snowmobile calendar...

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Bummer Lefty. Really isn't as bad as it could be. I have seen far worse deer hits and it could've been an elk.

alphaseinor

TDI
See the Majestic Mjoose!

anyone who's been in an accident in a grand am knows that's not that bad!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
imnotted said:
Did it hit the windshield on the driver's side? It doesn't look like the A-pillar is bowed out so much as the windshield is pushed in on that side, though I don't know how that happens without breaking the windshield...

Hmm...for some reason I feel compelled to buy a snowmobile calendar...
The Deer flipped over and the whole body hit the windshield right on the crack of the windshield and the post(pillar)in the one picture. That crack has been there for 1 year and is sealed up from a glass repair guy. You might have something about it being pushed in. never thought about that. I really thought the Deer was going to be on my lap.

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
NY Eve 2001, on my way home from work late afternoon and 4 deer come out at once. I hit the brakes in my 00 jetta TDI. The first one cross just in front of me, the second one leaped and missed my front bumper the 3rd one hit chest first over my front Driver side fender and it's head smashed down on my hood and its antler put a hole in my windshield before it shook its head and bounded off.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the 4th one coming right for my door, It had to have jumped over the car, because it was right there and then it was gone.
Cost me about $2400 for new hood, fender, windshield, wiper assembly and a few other bits and pieces. Insurance paid.
This is the 3rd deer I've hit. Sheriff Deputy came along and killed the first one years ago, The last one I hit I was in a deuce and a half. It hit the front bumper at 40 MPH and twisted itself in the air and fell dead by the side of the road where it lie for abut a week. Damn field rats!!