Cold weather hesitation with BD

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
Hello - I have been using B20 for a year and 1/2 in a 2003 Jetta Wagon. I live in Michigan. The other day I put in a full tank of B20 (winterized to zero). Two days later, I stopped by to add B50 (Ultra low sulfur 15 bbm) about 1/4 tank of that. I am sure they said that was winterized to zero as well.

The temp yesterday was in the 40's, however tonight it got down to 32-34. We went out, parked the car out in the cold (snowing). When I started off in first it seemed to hesitate, didn't have any power, same in 2nd, third, but 4th was ok at slow speeds.

I really started to notice it while getting onto the freeway - and going up hill, it really started to loose power. I made it home luckely ... about a 30 mile drive.

Can anyone share their experience with this? Is this a classic example of non-winterized fuel?

When I got it in the garage, I thought I would take a look at the fuel line (as if I would know what to do or know what to look for
- and I saw a fairly long air bubble about 1.5 inch - I am pretty sure small air bubbles are fine, but nothing this big - could this be the issue or is this typical? I just got the fuel filter replaced about 2000 miles ago.

If it is the BD what should I do? add an additive or isn't it too late.
thanks for you help.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Key word in your entire post was GARAGE. After leaving it parked in your garage and starting it back up again, did the symptoms persist???

If they did, you can be sure it wasn't the fuel.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
a large air bubble in the line from the filter to the pump can be a result of the filter being partially clogged from unwinterized fuel. As the fuel warms up, and the filter clears out, see if the air bubble disappears.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
The garage isn't very warm - but probably above 40. still have a good sized air pocket in the fuel line (see photo). I haven't driven it today.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
B100 or winterized fuel performs the same until it gells. At which point you go nowhere.
Significant performance loss would only result from a fuel restriction, not chemical diffrences. The bubble is evidence of a restriction.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
The dealership said that the air bubble in the clear fuel line is normal. They told me to use One Shot diesel additive. so I put that in - but the car is still hesitating/stalling over 40 mph. push down on the pedal and nothing happens. Geez - you would think they would winterize B50 at this time of the year!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
When did you last change the fuel filter? Your symptoms could be caused by a clogged filter.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
changed fuel filter about 2000 miles ago - It runs fine for about 10-15 min. in this cold weather, then it starts hesitating - mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear when you are pressing down on the gas pedal.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
how true... should I say turbo pedal? or that rectangleish thing on the right that makes the car go

except mine isn't goin'n very far
in our 10 degree weather.