700 Mile club Who's in?

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

772 miles one time. 51.5 mpg on that tank. Running 75-80 mph with a/c in JUN. Chickened out on joining the 800 mile club 'cause my low fuel light had been on for quite a while.
I forget how much I put in the tank on filling up.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

anyone know what the Cd for the NB is? I am hoping to get into this club with this tank, while wearing my roof rack...
I filled my first tank of Diesel Supreme and so far so good.. 150 miles and barely off the full mark... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

flex94

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 03, Platinum Silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

My low fuel light just came on today: 700.2 miles on the trip counter.

I'm shooting for 750 on the ride home.

Mike

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Finally did it ... 702 miles.. only drove about 20 miles past the fuel light. put 14.7 gallons in.. i think that about 47mpg. 60% freeway and 40% city. this car has really jumped after hitting 20000 miles. i have a rocketchip and sprint injectors. gotta love it...next is 800 miles..

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I'm in the club, based on one leg of a long road trip at Xmas. Bethany, Missouri to Santa Rosa, New Mexico. 754 miles. On fumes the last 10 miles. (Thank you thank you thank you, TCA truck stop) Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas did not collect any road use taxes from me that day.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I'M IN.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif ...710.8 miles on 14.68 gals vented...low fuel light had not come on yet...now working on 800 but that will have to wait for a road trip...

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Hey New Jetta...be careful you don't run out! ...by that last calculation and assuming you have a total of 16.5 Gals in your vented tank...you'll only hit 798.923 miles on that tank /images/graemlins/wink.gif The 700 miles mark is novel...800 great...900 amazing...but so what? I just had 880.4 miles and 17.403 Gals (a 2 fill up average and I don't vent) for 50.589 MPG ...the MPGs are the fun numbers! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ...just my $.02

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
(snip) The 700 miles mark is novel...800 great...900 amazing...but so what? (snip)

[/ QUOTE ]

__. True, it's not a big thing but a tank that lasts you for many days means less time spent at the fuel pump. The *big thing* is the great economy that we get! I love my TDI.
-

Jake G

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Black
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

For the first year or two I owned the Jetta I would check the mileage every time, add additve, drive conservitive, etc and the best MPG I could gather was 49 with an average of 47 or so. After that I started to drive like a mad man and would only check mileage every couple of months. I would get 43-46 or so accelerating full throttle and a speeds over 90 MPH.

So in the last few months I have force myself keep it under 75 mph and accerlate "normally". To my suprise, I am now getting 50-54 MPG. With ventectomy my best todate cruising range has been 866.4. I have driven 70-75 miles with the low fuel light on.

Jake

hotneutron

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: 13 Touareg /Ex: Jetta 99.5
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Finally I'm IN. 724 highway miles on 14.3 gallons vented. Tire pressure 35-37. Cruise at 70-75mph, sometimes 80mph. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

728 miles vented in my 01 Golf from NYC to Cleveland, OH. That was 50 miles after the low fuel light came on. Filled 14.34gal after the trip.

--Matt

TDIGUY03

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI BLK/BLK (SOLD), 2015 Golf TDI SE, 2011 Golf Sportwagon TDI (Traded for 2018 Atlas)
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I AM SITTING AT 1150KMS (718 MILES) AND NO GAS LIGHT YET. GOING TO TRY TO MAKE THE 800 MILES

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Whoo Hoo!

I am in the 700 mile club with 2 out of my 3 diesels! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went 705 miles on one tank in my 'other' diesel.. of course
the tank holds 34 gallons, but still, I got just over 22.5 MPG over the 700
mile drive, which I feel is not bad for a 7100 lb 4x4 SUV with 305 HP. It has
a 6 speed manual tranny, and stock tires. I know I can do better too.. I have seen
as high as 24 MPG over shorter trips..

The 'super turtle' as I call it, has a little more wind resistance than the TDI!!

I put in just under 32 gallons... I was really worried the last 50 miles though!

Drive ON!

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Last tank was 791 miles on 15.6 gallons of B30! Roughly 50.4 MPG. Oh, I had my PSI Powerbox on the whole time, too. Now I've got a switch on my dash to turn the powerbox on only when I want more power. We'll see what that does to my mileage!

Welcome to the 700 miles club! Hope to welcome you to the 800 miles club soon!

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

712 miles with heavy city driving at the start and finish of the tank. Not a record by any means but very nice when the sign was $1.53 for diesel and $1.98 for unleaded. Since it is a PD that is not fully broken in yet I am pleased. 800 miles per tank should be no problem in the future.

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Great job with the PD. what did your mpg's come out to? and how much of your tank was city driving?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Now that summer temps and fuel has returned, and possibly because the tank was mostly Amoco Premier (the remainder was BP Diesel Supreme), I puttered from MI, to central IL, to central OH for a distance of 702.4 miles before the "feed me" light came on. At 716.1 I did put 15.6 US gallons in of BP Diesel Supreme.

Not bad for an automatic, 95K miles on it, driving through thunderstorms, using the AC for about 60 miles, loaded with hundreds of pounds of tools and supplies (and 3 people for part of it).

jetwrench

TDI
2000 Golf, Silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Since the Golf's ventectomy, it has been averaging 710-720 miles before the low fuel light illuminates. That is with mostly highway driving at speeds averaging 75-80...

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I'm in with the last tank. 715 miles, 15.1 gallons. I had a RC2 thrown in the car at Hondo's, so that tank had a couple of 5th gear blasts to 4100+ rpm, and many miles between 75 and 85 mph. I'm trying to keep it under 65 mph for this tank to see what it will do. 335 miles so far and it's not to the 3/4 full mark yet! There were over 200 miles on it before it moved off of full.

CorradoSteve

TDI
02 Jetta
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I'm in the club with my last 2 tanks. 732 from San Diego - San Luis Obispo - Santa Barbara - Carmel, filled with 15.4 gallons. Then 728 from Carmel - Napa Valley - San Diego, filled with 14.8 gallons. Both legs included stop and go traffic through mountains so I know I can do better.

billsbuddie

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF, GLS, TDI, 05, Reflex Silver
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Not there yet, but will be shortly. I have only had my NB for a month and have made several changes, TB, new tires, etc. Last tank i went 631 and could only put 13.1 gallons in the tank, vented. Be there soon if I don't chicken out. I hate to not have a full tank in a car when I drive, comes from driving in the winter. I can't remember the last time I ran out of fuel. By the way I have no mods or make no adjustments in my driving just for good mileage. I go about 4 miles over the limit on the highway and in the city, and I love to get away from a stop sign quicker than the rest. I have really enjoyed going thru the gears and letting them wind out a bit.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I said:

Now I've got a switch on my dash to turn the powerbox on only when I want more power. We'll see what that does to my mileage!
Well, I got 52.3 MPG. I wrote down the numbers somewhere... but I remember the MPG. I like the switch to turb the PowerBox off... it also turns off the smoke

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I am feeling very positive about this tank. I am at 409.0 miles at the halfway mark. Snailed it home in the right lane of 309 N. @ 55MPH to build on this. I felt like it was a brisk walk. My Golf is right out of the box and the best range to date is mid 650's with routine driving being about 65% city and 35% highway.

PhDwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf & 1998 Jetta - Both Sold :(
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I all have to say go Michigan!!! I recently took a trip to East Lansing, MI, where I will be in grad school this fall and filled up at a Speedway in Dewitt, MI. I got over 50 mpg and traveled 717 miles on a tank. I vent but not till it's completely full. This is the first time I've been able to achieve 50 mpg and 700 miles. I'm thinking it had mostly to do with the quality diesel I got in MI. I drove thru Detroit(a lot of stop and go and crappy roads) on to Buffalo, NY with the A/C on half the time. I was very happy with the performance. The diesel I get in Buffalo would never give me those results.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

Still on the same tank from my last post and now up to 721.1 with the light just about to come on.

Implemented some of the advice I have read on this board and OMG!

ie.

Consistent shifts between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm's
Max. cruising speed 55 to 60 mph
Neutral coasting in downhills, etc.
Windows up, a/c on

I have about a 30 mile ride home, I am going for 750.X !

LONG LIVE THE TDI!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
700 Mile club Who\'s in?

I missed the club by 2.5 miles
697.5. I was going to Maryland's eastern Shore after Hurricane Isabel. I Knew I could break the 700 mile mark with no problem, but I was going into an area with alot of damage and some parts without power. I stopped at a truck stop in Delaware. to fill up. I really didn't want to take the chance of running out. So I filled up. Now thinking about it, I could have just drove down the road a couple miles and turned around
. Though, My mind was on my parents waterfront townhouse and what the hurricane did.

Hey Tickbait... you should come out to the Nestor's Wednesday Nite weekly GTG in Quakertown. ScubaSteve and I go to this one.