PD Reprofiled Stage II Chrome-Plated Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
We had three engines last year on a strict diet of Mobile 1 TDT 5-40 that had ring issues. Two of the same also had cam issues The worst of the three was a full highway driven 06 BRM with 70,000 miles. The #4 cylinder had seized the rings, ruined the piston. Oil changes were an over-kill at 4,000 miles on a change. No leaks, no apparent engine problems. Driving habits were reasonable. Cylinder head was in good condition, except for the cam. Oil pump was slightly worn, but was giving good oil pressure. Basically, there was no good excuse for the failures.

As for the Castrol, we are far from alone in our assessment of that oil.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
*EDIT* Due to a vendor's misinterpretation of our intention, we are going to CLARIFY what we mean about what we mean by "life expectancy"...

VW's engineering fault with the cam bearing support that is difficult to overcome. The cam follower (lifter) bore cuts a radius that removes up to 1/2 of the cam bearing support on the the #2, and #4 bearings, with the #3 bearing support losing about 40% of the total bearing surface. This leaves the lower cam bearing, which is the loaded bearing, with the two ends of the bearing unsupported. The reduced support causes extra wear on the center of the bearing shells.

In order to correct the engineering, stiffer shells are the only solution within the parameters of the head design. It has not been practical to pursue alternate bearing designs, so we accept the wear potential. This is NOT an INCREASE in WEAR from the stock design. The cam bearing modifications were made to improve oiling to the CAM FOLLOWERS, with some expectation that wear to the lower bearing shell would be reduced.

Anyone who has removed a cam from a PD has seen the exact same wear pattern in the lower shells. Although the modification for redirect for the oil in the cam bearings is appropriate, and does DOUBLE the oiling to the cam followers, we have limited ability to correct the lack of support for the lower shell. The only thing we can do is provide correct oiling to the bearing. It is a fault in this engine that, at this time, has to be accepted.

As for our CAM Profile and Longevity:
]
As of this last week, we have received a report of a cam and bearing set that has gone 275,000 miles with no symptoms of wear. THAT IS OUR GOAL and WE ARE ACCOMPLISHING OUR OBJECTIVE.

*END EDIT*
I thought I would give everyone an update about our cam bearings. We have so many out in the field now, what we can say that is good... we have a bare minimum of complaints. The design of the bearing support does not aid in the life expectancy. However, we do see that the major goal of the bearings; moving oil to the cam followers, is effective. Between the cam bearing mods, the cam mods and the use of proper oil and break-in, we feel we have improved the lot of the PD's.

Most recently, we have added tooling to our shop to take care of an occasional concern with warp in the cam journals. It does not happen as easily or readily as it has in the ALH or AHU, but we have found that the higher the motor is driven, the more likely the wear to the cam bearings. We will continue to work out solutions for issues.

Last edited:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
We had three engines last year on a strict diet of Mobile 1 TDT 5-40 that had ring issues. Two of the same also had cam issues The worst of the three was a full highway driven 06 BRM with 70,000 miles. The #4 cylinder had seized the rings, ruined the piston. Oil changes were an over-kill at 4,000 miles on a change. No leaks, no apparent engine problems. Driving habits were reasonable. Cylinder head was in good condition, except for the cam. Oil pump was slightly worn, but was giving good oil pressure. Basically, there was no good excuse for the failures.

As for the Castrol, we are far from alone in our assessment of that oil.
BRM's are known for cam issues no matter what oil.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have a chromed BEW in my BHW- about 2mo old. I am happy with the new cam. FE seems a little better and torsion value has a much wider range of tolerance. My torsion is at -4.9, where as the original ran best at about -1.0 max.

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
I've got Frank's chrome plated stage 2 in my BRM.

I'm not sure why but after installing BEW injectors with r783's, GTB2056 turbo, & Franks stage 2 cam. The key way in the hub assembly failed and the cam was allowed to spin freely. The cam & injectors are still in pristine condition. Any ideas what could have went wrong? I don't want to steal this thread, Send responses to me pm or on my thread

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I've got Frank's chrome plated stage 2 in my BRM.

I'm not sure why but after installing BEW injectors with r783's, GTB2056 turbo, & Franks stage 2 cam. The key way in the hub assembly failed and the cam was allowed to spin freely. The cam & injectors are still in pristine condition. Any ideas what could have went wrong? I don't want to steal this thread, Send responses to me pm or on my thread

What keyway? The keyway in the CAMSHAFT? Who did the work?

Bill

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Bolt for the camshaft sprocket wheel was not properly tightened. Seen it happen before...

Btw you probably have a bent valve or two.

Also the cam was not spinning freely, once the key way broke the cam would have stopped spinning, but the crankshaft would still be in motion. Thus the cause of the bent valve(s) and damaged lifters.

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Cory,

When it comes to '505.01 certified' oils, there are some that we wouldn't want you using in a PD engine; Castrol, for example. We wonder how they established that rating.

On the other hand, we really don't know what you mean that Schaeffer 9000 5-40 '..is no longer 505.01 compliant.' They never were 'certified'. Based on what I've seen of some of the certified oils, that doesn't bother me a bit. I am far from alone in my belief that 'certified' does not always mean what it implies.
Seems that Schaeffers has dropped 505.01 from their "meets or exceeds" section in their May 2013 spec revision for 9000 oil. Frank, how relevant is that for you? Has their oil changed in formulation for them to do this? I want to make sure I feed my BEW properly.

Supreme 9000 SAE 5W-40 is formulated to meet and exceeds the following manufacturers’ specifications and requirements: Military Specifications MIL-PRF- 2104G and A-A-52306A, API Service Classifications CJ-4/CI-4/SM, CI-4 Plus Global Specification DHD-1, JASO DH-1 and DH-2, Mack EO-O Premium Plus- 07, Caterpillar, Caterpillar ECF-1-a, ECF-2 ECF-3: Cummins CES 20081; Detroit Diesel 7SE 270, Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K218, Detroit Diesel Series 2000/4000 Category 1 MTU Category Type II, Navistar, ACEA E7- 10, ACEA E9-10, Duetz, Mercedes-Benz MB228.3, MB228.31, MB228.5,
MB 229.1, MB229.3, MB229.5, Volvo VDS-4, MAN 271, MAN 3275, MTU Oil Category Type 2, Renault RDL-3 Scania LD-F and LDF-2, Inveco, DAF and Volkswagen 501.01, 505.00

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I have not changed my opinion of Schaeffers. I also haven't changed my opinion of other oils that we approve or disapprove.

I will ask the company directly what their reason is for the change in wording.

One of the things I knew was an issue with them in the last year was California notified them that the label designation for the oil weight symbol was smaller than standards allowed. The fine for non-compliance offered by the officials was, in a word, ludicrous. I do know that labeling changes were made to comply with that ridiculous ruling.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
We have great news to report...

Just received a report of 250,000 miles with no cam wear issues. We have had NO cam failures.

Anyone with our profiled cam and mods is receiving a retroactive 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.