Crazy noise on new to me 06 Jetta

Chevybrit

TDI
Jetta 2006
On the drive back from purchasing a used jetta i became paranoid that the noise that was described by the sales guy as 'normal used tyre noise' was in fact something far more serious.. horrifying ideas of a knackered torque converter or worse???
I wanted to just ask Y'all ....
Having just driven trucks for the last few years maybe I'm not used to it.
Sounds like a Tardis starting up to escape an imminent Darlek attack on the highway ....:confused:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Look up on YouTube the two following searches and let us know which one it sounds more like, if any.

-DSG DMF rattle
-TDI worn cam

The two are common on these cars. The auto transmission on these cars are very reliable and have no torque converter. But the original dual mass flywheels are weak and will make a nasty rattle. Sometimes they'll take our the engine or transmission if they fail. The other is the camshaft, the camshafts are prone to failing and wearing down the lifters. Busting a lifter will make a nasty racket.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I do not understand your noise description, but I too am interested in the source of noises heard while driving an 06 TDI. I do know that failing to rotate tires can affect the tires tread shapes such that road noise from them becomes different. I also know that some cars transmit noise to the cabin differently from other cars. I once had a 1995 Ford Windstar that was much quieter than its replacement, a 2005 Honda Odyssey. My daughter's 2000 Toyota Camry has less road noise than my 2006 TDI Jetta.

This is an interesting question to me. I recently completed an overhaul of my 06 TDI manual Jetta that included: New CV joints, one new front wheel bearing, new brake rotors and pads front and back, new thermostat, new cam and lifters, new timing belt, new water pump, new oil pump, new door lock and something else I can't remember right now. Since doing so, I have been paying a lot of attention to the sounds I hear from the car while driving, and speed related noises, in addition to engine related noises.

I hear various speed and road surface dependent hums and growls, the sources of which I am uncertain, and due to uncertain memories, do not recall whether these noises were previously there or not. I am wondering whether or not there are rubber containing or other suspension parts, the performance of which degrades with age such that their replacement would make appreciably significant interior road noise reduction worthwhile. As such, I would appreciate hearing from any of our group that has found specific part replacements to have had any noticeable impact on interior road noise in this model VW.

Chevybrit

TDI
Jetta 2006
Thanks for the comments ... Not really a Noob Had golfs, Caddy's and passats in the UK I was more concerned because normally driving a truck the ride (in the Jetta) was much more harsh and noisy.
Pretty convinced its the tires as all need replacing
I have an audio file of the noise but i can't upload it here and Ytube either as its not a vid.
It was more of a Whoop Whoop Whoop increasing with the road speed ..
Will update when i swap out the tires