ABS pump cycle

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Should I be concerned that I hear my what sounds like my ABS pump cycle for about a second every time I turn the ignition on in my vehicle?

I just started to notice this a few months ago and never noticed the "pump cycle" before. Not 100% sure it is the ABS but something is cycling at every start behind the dash area in the engine compartment.

Vehicle: 2003 Golf, GLS/TDI, with ITT Mark 60 ABS, no ASR or ESP. No codes, ABS mil or performance loss with braking.

I do have aftermarket Stoptech big brake (huge) front calipers and rotors if that makes a difference. And GLI rear calipers/vented rotors as well. (I like to stop:))

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
I think all ABS modules do a self check with each start-up. Ours on our mini van is very noticeable because it usually happens just as we start backing down our steep driveway! You might want to flush the system with fresh fluid if not done recently, then make some panic stops on gravel to give the system a good work out. That should work fresh fluid through the valves and expansion chambers of the ABS module.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Fluid was flushed an year ago but have not done many panic stops.

Does anyone else get the noise I am describing? Wondering if it is something that's on its way out or just normal?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They all do something when you first start moving, but it is not really noticeable from the driver's seat.

I would verify for sure it is actually coming from the ABS if you can.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Thank you oilhammer! After having an assistant turn the key while I put my hand on the ABS pump, no noise from under the hood.

It seems to be coming from under/behind the dash itself. As soon as I get the time, I will be removing the lower covers and taking a look.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a clue of what might be making a noise that sounds like a pump cycling or maybe an electrical vibration from under the drivers side dash every time the ignition switch is turned?

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Thank you oilhammer! After having an assistant turn the key while I put my hand on the ABS pump, no noise from under the hood.

It seems to be coming from under/behind the dash itself. As soon as I get the time, I will be removing the lower covers and taking a look.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a clue of what might be making a noise that sounds like a pump cycling or maybe an electrical vibration from under the drivers side dash every time the ignition switch is turned?

Anything not stock on the vehicle: like a radio or aftermarket starter ?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

HVAC door operator maybe?

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Anything not stock on the vehicle: like a radio or aftermarket starter ?
Aftermarket stereo head unit, among other instruments/gauges and VW upgrades from other vehicles - GLI interior, FIS cluster, etc. But would not think they would cause this noise.

HVAC door operator maybe?
Manual HVAC

The only good thing about this noise is it is consistent and seems not to be affecting any operations or functions, yet......

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Time to think about removing one item at a time and see if the noise comes back when you go to turn the ignition on as an elimination process.

The only thing I can think of beyond that is that perhaps you have a lift-pump that is powering up and making that noise.

Last edited:

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Well I feel like an real IDIOT!!!

A while back I removed my windshield wiper arms to have my windshield replaced. (don't have to worry about rain much here in Kali) Do I need to say anymore? At some point I must have hit the right stalk down one notch to intermittent - and there is my "motor cycling noise..."

Hope you all got a laugh, thanks for your help!!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
lol.. i needed a good chuckle today. This sounds like something that could easily happen to me too. Lol. Glad you figured it out and it wasn’t bad.