Anyone else happy with dieselgate?

wuzilla

TDI
2012 JSW
Driving mine in this morning. Snowing + bald tires, so should be fun!

The car has been sitting for a couple of months in my backyard. I opened up the hatch a couple days ago to prep the car, and poured a gallon of water into the headliner and rear tray (from the hatch leak they could never fix). The windows were fogged up on the inside (from the creaky and leaky sunroof they could never fix). The spare-tire well is rusting (from the above leaks). The front suspension creaks and clanks (needs front-end work). And the last hwy trip, I averaged 38mpg (due to the last software update). All on a 2012 with 50k miles (and I still have an extended warranty). So yes, relieved is an excellent word to use.

Taking the cash and paying off a lot of high-interest student loan debt. This has been a nice windfall to say the least!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.........yes, thrilled, impressed - even relieved - could summarize this sailor's buyback offer reaction.

....the 2036 software flash has not affected my fuel numbers, - at 47,555 odometer, I'm still under the drivetrain 5 year/60,000 protection.........

Hopefully I'm OK until late 2017 - when the buyback + the $1000 dual card amount
will remain essentially equal to my original 2013 sales price................

ez sends

vestal

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
yup, super happy. walking away with 13k in pocket. no plans to get a replacement car which will save me tons of money. just going to have my motorcycle and the metro.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
And the beat goes on.....people stating what a great deal the buyback is, then complaining about having to put on a new set of tires. We'll be doing that this year, and it's a good deal because we won't be turning the car in until Dec. '18. I'm just doing the maintenance by the book*, and it's still a fantastic deal.

*NB: We'll probably go a few thousand over 80K, and I'm not about to do the DSG service, but, yeah, everything else.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I'm happy with it overall. I can keep my car until late 2018 and will get ~ $22000 for it assuming I don't put a ton of miles on it. But even if I do more mileage, there's not much of a penalty.

My car is currently on winter tires, but the all seasons were getting bald. So I used my $500 dealer goodwill card and bought a new set of Continental Purecontacts for the wife's 2014 Jetta TSI. I took her old factory original tires to Walmart and got them mounted to my alloys, so the total cost for "new to me" tires for my car was about $60.

Her factory Continentals still have about 2 years of life left on them so it should work out fine.

Also, if I mess up the interior or damage something, it's not a problem. This year I put the Christmas tree inside the car whereas previously it's always been tied to the roof. It's nice to not have to care if your car gets beat up!

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I used the $500.00 VW card plus a bit extra to put a new set of Continentals on about a year ago.A little less than 20,00 miles ago.

fucanay

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Our 2014 Jetta Sportwagen was very nearly totaled in June, $16000 in insurance repairs later, it still wasn't the same. The door didn't fit quite right and the window would get stuck. We were lucky to even get to do the buyback. I think we actually ended up with slightly more than we paid for the car. So I'm happy.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Rico567;5215110[B said:
].......we won't be turning the car in until Dec. '18.....[/B].

Rico, I'd also like to wait.

What point in the buyback procedure would be best to stop. I've received
the buyback offer (but have not forwarded anything - like the signed/notarized package)

Your advice here appreciated.

best, ez

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
We got $23k for our 2012 that was $23k OTD 3 years ago. Expecting to get $29k for the 2014 Passat that was $22k OTD 6 months ago. After payoffs we should have $20 k to put towards our 2014 Touareg which was $41k OTD so will refinance about $21k on the 3.0L TDI of which I am hoping we will get in the neighborhood of $10K plus for VWOA to fix it.

$10,000 for a 2014 Touareg TDI 3.0 with 20,000 miles. Yes, we are happy with the scandal but the time, hoops, and delay are a bummer but in a few months will be all over and barely a memory!

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
An interesting thread. With few exceptions, the conclusions that may be drawn are:

1. I got a fantastic deal.....

2. Which really helps, because I bought the wrong car inthe first place.

For your 2nd point I would say it might more more circumstance has change for many people. Was the right car at time of purchase but not currently

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
I enjoyed the hell out of my car, because of the additional power and economy the cheat provided.

I drove it 80k miles in just over 2 years

My job changed, I don't need the mileage, and they're giving me nearly all my money back.

Yes, dieselgate has made this the best car owning experience of my life.

"best car owning experience of my life."

agreed. as long as I make it to Jan 19th around 5:20 pm that is ha

fan of fanboys

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan
This is definitely a two-part question.
First off I am very happy with the offer. I bought a TDI to start saving money to go back to school. Fast forward to now, the first one was flooded and replaced with the '15, I put 50k miles on it, graduated in December, and am ready to get back into an SUV. My offer is about the same as my out the door price in June '15, so I drove basically for free.
Second part, the process of the buy back... we'll leave it as less than thrilled.

ha and that is why I did not mention the buyback process

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)

Rico, I'd also like to wait.

What point in the buyback procedure would be best to stop. I've received
the buyback offer (but have not forwarded anything - like the signed/notarized package)

Your advice here appreciated.

best, ez
Sounds like you're where you need to be....as long as there's no expiration date on that offer. I haven't even bothered to go that far. I've registered the car on VW's web site, but have not uploaded the documentation yet, figure I'll give them plenty of time to debug the system and get the initial rush of people eager to get that money out of the way. I'll probably do what you've done in summer of next year, then apply for an end of 2018 turnover date....probably just before Christmas, so it won't interfere with any of our holiday plans.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I don't know if "happy" is the right word for it

We bought our Passat new in 2013, and we paid the TDI premium expecting to keep the car for the long haul, like we did with our previous TDIs. Because we owed some money on the car we traded in, we ended up with a longer note than we normally would have taken (66 months) in order to keep the payment psychologically reasonable.

With only 22 payments remaining by the time we return the Passat, we're going to end up with a nice down payment for the next car after the balance of the note is paid off. Since we're going CPO this time around, we're going to end up with a lower monthly payment and a much, much shorter term.

There are few other factors involved with our car, so I'm happy to get out from under the ticking time bomb that these era Passats have been proving to be. I'm not happy with situation, but I feel like I'm being made whole, so I'm okay with it.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Since I was one of those that dumped the car when Dieselgate happened, I thought that the $3,200 compensation for "eligible seller" was acceptable.

Of course it's hard to truly know what hit I took on the value of the car when it all happened.

TDI_SC

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I would of been a lot happier had the TDI been more reliable..it was not.

My 2 previous gasser VWs were a lot more reliable, a 1991 Jetta GL 5 spd and a 2001 Passat 1.8T.

This TDI was fun to drive but problematic due to its complicated emissions system. My opinion is it only makes sense to own one if your state does not do emissions testing and you can delete the stuff.

As far as the buyback, I broke even due to my high cost of ownership. At least it wasn't a loss. Break even for me financially. The buyback for me was a bail-out. Took over the wife's 2012 S60 T5 and bought a 2013 used XC90 as a family hauler/landscaping/weekend warrior ride.

Working on the happiness.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I guess overall it is a good deal. I didn't really need a new car. It puts us further behind of getting the car paid off.

Originally paid 26k with taxes it was 27,500 Still owe 10500 on a 2013 that is out of of 36k warranty at the end of this month.

Get 28k for it so basically got full purchase price back

New VW All Track SE:

32,500 MSRP -
-1750 discount
+1844 taxes

-1000 loyalty bonus
-500 vw gift card
=31095
-17500 proceeds of buyback
-500 VW VISA card

net cost of new vehicle=13095

So basically a 2500 Charge to go from a 3 year old car to a new one with the additional feature of all wheel drive. I would say that i worth it.

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
I cannot say that I am happy that VW deceived the public the way that they did (although as an engineer, I'm impressed with their methodology). However, given that my 2009 Jetta had 178,000 miles on the clock and was starting to show its age, I made out very well. I was able to buy a newer vehicle and not take on much dept.

What I do find amusing is the general lack of outrage from some of the other VW owners I met. They are disappointed and some worry about the future of the planet because of this :D lol. But I think that if this had been an American company, the level of anger, driven by the media, would've been far greater.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
But I think that if this had been an American company, the level of anger, driven by the media, would've been far greater.
If this were an American company it would have played out completely differently. Think about it - there is relatively little political pressure to go easy on VW; maybe from elected representatives in the states where VW has a plant, but that's about it. If one of the Big 3 did it, the whole thing would have been massaged and spun before it even made it to the media.

And the outcome would have been completely different as well, IMO. I think they would have paid fines and been ordered to bring whatever vehicles they could into compliance, but I'd guess that the rest would be granted an exemption of some sort, and there would be no buyback, as the company - backed up by powerful people in the government thanks to the US auto industry's deep pockets - would claim that it would bankrupt them and significantly damage the economy. There might be compensation for lost value, but there might not.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Im perfectly happy with the process, punishment for VW, and buyback amount estimated.

I will be paid more than i have into a very comfortable and useful car. Comes at a perfect time when its time to start thinking about a higher passenger count type of vehicle.

I havent married myself to unbelievable and unrealistic expectations out of a bureaucracy, and am therefore pleasantly surprised when i hear something after 2 months instead of 5, even if its a request for more documents i dont have. Heck the longer they take the more money comes direct to me and not my lender.

I didnt run out and buy a replacement vehicle the minute the scandal broke and subsequently spend the next 6 months bltching about 2 car payments and how im owed for that personal decision.

I havent vindictively compromised my own position while hypocritically acting in bad faith on my own after bltching about VWs bad faith.

I havent sifted through my house for incidental crap marginally related to a vehicle to claim im owed money on that too.

All these above things are just more grains of sand dumped into ones swimsuit. Too many TDI owners have forgotten patience is one of the principle keys to being happy. When the car gets bought back in april or whenever, i will feel satisfied that justice was done by me, the consumer.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
If this were an American company it would have played out completely differently. Think about it - there is relatively little political pressure to go easy on VW; maybe from elected representatives in the states where VW has a plant, but that's about it. If one of the Big 3 did it, the whole thing would have been massaged and spun before it even made it to the media.
And the outcome would have been completely different as well, IMO. I think they would have paid fines and been ordered to bring whatever vehicles they could into compliance, but I'd guess that the rest would be granted an exemption of some sort, and there would be no buyback, as the company - backed up by powerful people in the government thanks to the US auto industry's deep pockets - would claim that it would bankrupt them and significantly damage the economy. There might be compensation for lost value, but there might not.
Now this is some truth.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
I'm stoked on it to be honest. I never bought the car knowing it was considered so green. I work on diesels and the wife wanted a new ride so I told her look for a little diesel. We ended up purchasing 9/15 right before the news broke about this entire thing. The dealer included a 100k/5year bumper to bumper and now we are getting 6,700 (if calculation is correct) back!?!!?!? I'm sitting here trying not to be to stoked on the entire deal in fear some random event will happen and take all this amazingness away. Just hit 30k on the ride and stoked on it.

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
Buyback was great for me. I had a lemon 2011 JSW. HPFP Twice in the first 40K, AC pump/condenser, Headlight corroded, door connector corroded, air bag connections, Lift gate switch, parasitic drain on battery, Radio died taking my 6 cd's to the great buyback in the sky. Headlight and tail lights out but bulbs good. Random lights and warnings.

Love VW, but their QC sucks.

So for now I will have my 91 Vanagon to tide me over.

Paul

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Happy with the idea? Yes. Happy with the implementation? no.

I drove a car for almost 7 years, it has 54k miles, and i'm getting almost 19 grand for it. Basically drove a car for 7 years, paid maybe less than a grand into any oil changes and repairs, and i'm getting away paying 5 grand in total use of car payments into it.

So basically comes out to about 1k a year for use of that car.

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I'm really not liking this process, but I feel lucky I will be getting more than my car is worth. I bought one of the first TDI fakers in 2008, so I've been ready to buy a new car anyway. I got my use out of the car, and getting over twice what it's worth will be nice. I'm frustrated with the process, and paranoid to drive my car anywhere. That is stressing me out. I was going to by another VW, but my A/C stopped working for the 4th time in 2 years, and VW is being slow to process my claim, so I decided I'm not going to buy another VW.
Looking at Honda Civic or a Subaru Impreza, but they both seem a little boring compared to how much I liked my Jetta. Oh well

Rick!

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I sold back my 09 Jetta, with 78,000 miles. I got this car from Chris Farnham at a great price, plus Cash for Clunkers, and a $1300 tax credit. But after 7 years, and having retired, I wanted a bigger car/SUV. I got one, a BMW x5 diesel.

My Jetta had been very reliable. But it was still on the original battery, needed new summer tires, new winter tires, a 80,000 mile service including DSG service, and I was concerned about the early "all in one housing" exhaust system. And our common fear, possible HPFP failure.

After Cash for Clunkers and the tax credit, the car efffectively cost me $19,500 in 2009. I got back $14,875 from VW on the buyback. Can't beat that deal with a stick.
Same here; 2009 Jetta, $27K list price, $22K after Cash for Clunkers, $1600 tax credit, $11.5K buyback today at 161,000 miles, took 10 minutes, spent the $500 cash, used a few hundred on the service card, the check is already deposited as they had it ready, I'm happy. :)

Anybody need a set of barely used Blizzaks on Rials with pressure sensors?

Q-Ship

TDI
2009 Jetta, U Boat Grey
If this were an American company it would have played out completely differently. Think about it - there is relatively little political pressure to go easy on VW........
if you think there would not have been political pressure to go easy of GM or Ford, you are dreaming. There would've been a media driven feeding frenzy. You must understand that most of the moonbats who write, produce for the MSM would never own a US brand vehicle and see US corporations as inherently uncaring and evil and their products as inferior. They would be calling for the scalp of any US CEO they could target and Democrat Party pols would be demanding hearings, etc. Most are also incredibly ignorant regarding who makes what and where. I live in moonbat central (Maine) and it is hilarious to watch the reaction of a new Volvo owner when you ask them how they like their Chinese car.

A little history - Ralph Nader made a fortune and his reputation by making false claims about the Chevrolet Corvair. To be fair, GM didn't help themselves by their reaction, but the damage was done. In 1993 Dateline rigged Chevy pickups to explode in an expose of supposed safety defects, all at the behest of Byron Bloch, who has had a history of targeting GM. If I remember correctly, in 1981 ABC put a number of Jeeps through evasive maneuvers to cause rollovers and in one instance they had to do it over 400 times to get 8; and the steering wheels were turned at a faster rate than a human could do it. I can't remember any similar test being done with a Land Rover or Toyota J40.

Conversely, Audi unintended acceleration, "nothing to see here folks, move along." Never mentioned in any contemporary road test.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
if you think there would not have been political pressure to go easy of GM or Ford, you are dreaming.
Did you even read my post? That's exactly what I said - that there would be significant political pressure to go easy on Ford or GM, which would have resulted in a much different outcome: one that was far more favorable to the automaker and less favorable to the consumer.