Dyno Graph....

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Okay folks,

Here's was some of you have been waiting for... I put the graph together with the best of each of the chips runs...

I can tell you, with no reservation, the Upsolute chips have the most bottom end... They are quite good there... Based on the graphs, you will see they all have similiar HP numbers, just the Upsolute chips come on earlier...

The 01 chip is the "smokie" chip... The 02 chip is the "less smokie" chip... Not too much difference though, there is a bit wider torque band on the 01 chip above the 250 number....

Temperature of the day was around 87 degrees and I waited for the IAT to drop below 100 degrees between each run (as measured by the OBD-2 software)... I ran the car up to speed without using boost and then stepped into it as I got to fourth... All tests were run in 4th gear... Stock wheels with 38 pounds of pressure, K&N Cone air filter, Amoco 50 cetane and Redline plus 85 fuel enhancer.

Sorry about the size of the image but I thought everyone would like it big enough to read...

Also, the graph does not really show you how much more drivable the UP chips are....

[This message has been edited by Gary Miyakawa (edited August 15, 2000).]

S

SkyPup

Geez Gary -> your NB really rocks hard!
That is some outstanding work, thanks so much for getting it together for us, in fact I am downloading your graph as a keeper to my TDI folder.

140 HP and 250 lbs of torque is excellent in anyone book, especiall from a tiny four cylinder 115ci turbodiesel. I bet a V-6 GM or Ford small block would have a difficult time matching those torque levels. Those results are similar to my own "seat 'o de pants" dynometer
. But you have done it right for all to see.

We are all grateful for your chip comparo on the dyno, maybe now the naysayers will have 'Nay' to say!

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Outstanding work Gary...and thank You! I'd be curious to see where the stock chip would have fit on this graph. Upsoluted TDIs are undoubtedly the most wicked turbodiesels on North America highways. Wooooohooooooo!

------------------
Warp 9...Engage!

valois

Banned
Gary, I want to thank you for your efforts on this, wow! close to 150hp and 270 ft/lbs of torque,
I have to agree with you the torque is very much in evidence around 1700-1800 rpm,
when it's possible to break the tires free while rolling on dry pavement.
Steve had mentioned that his car coasts longer I have noticed this but
it's not as accentuated on the 98's
they were already like this,
I believe it has to do with the timing maps.
The car feels like a tractor in the lower gears,
not that it's not smooth, but just that it has tremendous power.

[This message has been edited by valois (edited August 16, 2000).]

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Thanks Gary for your invaluable pioneering research!

Your phone call to Rene (with a preliminary update of the 3 chips) was icing on the cake and just what we needed to hear.

You should have also warned us about the major whiplash, lower back pain, and fast moving speedometer symptoms associated with this upgrade.

Nice to hear from another TDI Pioneer!

S

SkyPup

Gary, all the torque curves seem to max at about 2,000 rpms, were they that way prior to adjusting the VNT actuator?

When I added the TT exhaust it raised the torque peak about 250 rpm or so, it wasn't until I did the VNT tweak that i got back the lower torque. Also the TT exhaust really opened up the top end holding on HP alot longer (600+ rpms) than the OEM choker exhaust pipe setup. Did you notice this change in your dyno graphs from previous runs? Or was the change evident in the dyno results. How about in the seat o' de pants dyno, how did that correlate?

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Skypup,

I didn't notice much (if any) torque loss with the VNT adjustment with the Wett chips... The Garrett chips did loose some bottom.. I can't image what the Upsolute chips would be like if the VNT-Tweek did remove some of the bottom... Jeez... They pull like a freight train NOW (with the tweek).. If would be fun to remove the tweek and head back to the dyno but at $100 per hour... I'd rather spend the money in other goodies!!!

Gary

S

SkyPup

Gary, have you talked to VW Derf about archiving this dyno work? This needs to be done for reference when future inquiring minds wonder what everyones been up to!