Techtonics Tuning Exhaust Install Pics

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Dr. Pup and others with TT exhaust systems:

It's been a few months since you installed the TT exhaust system.

Are you still happy with it?
Did it really improve power?
Did it change fuel economy in any way?

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing

S

SkyPup

1- Real Happy! No rattles, no leaks, no problems.

2. Torque is pushed up a couple of hundred rpm and horsepower is pushed up alot on the top end. Turbo response is improved too. I would imagine EGT is reduced too by up to 200 degrees. The stainless steel downpipe is still quite shiny and has not oxidized to a lite brown-tan color meaning that the steel itself has never gotten over 1,000 degrees. Even that huge catalytic convertor has not oxidized and it is the hottest part of the system, so most of its operation I imagine is 700-850 F.

3. It is a no brainer with a turbodiesel that an exhaust like this is an improvement. Fuel economy is not detectably improved, however with all the mods it has not decreased either.

4. This system is a plus for any modified TDI, on a stock TDI it is a waste.

S

SkyPup

BTW, these TT pipes are 2.5" diameter on the inside!
You can easily slip the OEM 2" units inside these monsters with room to spare. The difference in flow is much greater than any TDI could even handle with propane fumigation, and I could not imagine a "hotter" TDI setup (unless Mickey installs a VNT20 on his in the future).

Simply get an engineering textbook and calculate the total air intake from the turbo into the combustion chambers (with 17 pounds of boost it is over 110% what a non-turbocharged diesel engine is at ambient atomspheric pressure). Now calculate the total exhaust flow through the turbine and out the huge CAT into the huge TT setup.

Let me know if you find that the TT setup cannot handle the exhaust flow! I know otherwise.......

scott w. kauffman

I am also very happy with the TT exhaust. I installed mine before it was chipped and did notice a difference. I do alot of aftermarket parts installation. This without a doubt was the best made and easiest thing I have ever put on a car. It fits like a glove. Scott

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Latest prices are $295 for aluminized steel or $495 for stainless.

Will aluminized steel survive road salt or should I bite the bullet and go stainless?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Aluminized exhaust systems will NOT survive salted roads. Normally factory-original exhaust systems stand up very well compared to aftermarket ones, but the back muffler on my car is threatening to blow apart from corrosion. I shall have to do something about it pretty soon. Meanwhile, the search for a 2 1/2" stainless cat-back exhaust for a B4 Passat, which does not cost an arm and a leg, continues. Every B4 cat-back system that I have found doesn't meet at least one of those factors ... and Christi has been looking too.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

99TDI JETTA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPup:
Here is a pic of the OEM "choker" exhaust system, which actually works pretty darn well ,but is no match for the Techtonics straight through system. The original inside diameter measured with a vernier caliper is 2.0 inches, the new Techtonics Tuning system measures exactly 2.5":
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
SKYPUP,
YOU SAY THE LESS RESTRICTION IN EXHAUST THE BETTER, SO WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON A 3" EXHAUST. IF YOU COULD TELL OF A GOOD ONE TO USE ID APPRECIATE IT.

{Fixed the quotes and took out the pictures from the quoted area.}

[This message has been edited by Peter Cheuk (edited March 22, 2000).]

S

SkyPup

3" is overkill for any street TDI, although it would be great for a full race TDI with a VNT20 that could flow alot more cfm through the engine. There is absolutley NO possibility of your 1.9L TDI engine flowing more exhuast than what a 2.5" pipe can handle. Besides, 3" will definetly NOT fit underneath the A4 unibody without massive customizied cutting and welding.

99TDI JETTA

SKYPUP,
THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. I JUST FOUND THIS SITE A WEEK AGO AND IT IS UNBELIEVABLE. MY JETTA IS BONE STOCK I GOT IT A MONTH AGO. THIS SITE IS THE BIGGEST HELP I HAVE FOUND TO AID ME IN WHAT MODS I SHOULD DO FIRST. WHEN BUYING AN INTAKE DOES IT HAVE TO BE MADE FOR A TDI OR ARE OTHER APPLICATIONS USEABLE. ALSO IS THE TT EXHAUST A BORLA MUFFLER WITH TECHTONIC PIPES, IT WAS ALL A BIT FOGGY. YOUR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

S

SkyPup

Actually that cat-back TT system with the Borla straight through muffler will fit all A4 1.8L Turboniums and VR6's gassers.

Type in "TT" and search this Performance Forum for all the information to read and hyperlinks to follow.

MaxTork

If the best TDI exhaust is the least exhaust then why have one at all. It was said that the car isnt very loud after all so why not simply run a straight pipe where the muffler and cat are? Might not be legal but I'm not scared. I dont mind a car being loud as long as it is not obnoxiously loud and it has to sound good.
Does anyone have a wave file to post of a hopped up TDI? I'd love to hear it!!!

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
The Techtonic's Tuning System is less exhausting than the OEM system, allowing the engine to run with more energy!

TrydntruTDIer

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI & Want 2015 Golf Sportwagon
Skypup, I just got my Wett Chip installed and am very happy with the increase in power.
I've ordered the TT Exhaust and a K & N Air Filter. What difference in power and Torque do you think the addition of these two items make? Also where is this screen that everybody is talking about taking out with the addition of the K & N? Thanks

TrydntruTDIer

TDI
Skypup, I just got my Wett Chip installed and am very happy with the increase in power.
I've ordered the TT Exhaust and a K & N Air Filter. What difference in power and Torque do you think the addition of these two items make? Also where is this screen that everybody is talking about taking out with the addition of the K & N? Thanks

TrydntruTDIer

TDI
Oh yes, I have a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckbrush:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>