Techtonics Tuning Exhaust Install Pics

S

SkyPup

Here is a pic of the OEM "choker" exhaust system, which actually works pretty darn well ,but is no match for the Techtonics straight through system. The original inside diameter measured with a vernier caliper is 2.0 inches, the new Techtonics Tuning system measures exactly 2.5":

Here is a pic from the huge OEM VW catalytic convertor on back:

Here is the hookup to the cat-back through the center support:

Here is a shot of the super nice straight through Borla stainless steel muffler with 2.5 inch inside diameter with a rated flow of 644 cfm (over twice what the turboed TDI is capable of generating!
):

Total cost for the entire stainless steel system shipped and installed was $529.00. An aluminized steel version is available for about $305.00. My 98 NB TDI will soon have this same system installed on it with Techtonics wicked upswept "Baja Bug' stinger exhaust tip. BTW, the Bug is a diesel rocket too, set up the same as the Jetta!

Simply a most impressive and first class system that will last for the next million miles producing outstanding torque, horsepower, and economy.

Don't boost me up Scotty! There are intelligent turbocharged Volkswagens down here after all!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 11, 1999).]

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
How does it sound? Too bad TT doesn't make an exhaust for the A3 Jetta TDI. I'd buy one in a minute.

S

SkyPup

They do make the same setup for the A3, it is much better than the one AutoTech has available. Call Techtonics, it is the same one that fits the VR6 that fits the TDI. Simple....

S

SkyPup

Don't you know it sounds real good????
That's any easy one to answer for sure!!!

BTW, the turbocharger takes out approximately 40% of all the sound waves by chopping the pistons pressure pulses into millions of tiny waves, eliminating most of the exhaust sound typical of nonturboed engines. This system would most likely be street legal without any muffler at all, just a straight pipe would be adequate for most areas. The exhaust gases pour out like water from a hose, not in big blasts of pressure on a non turbo engine, it is a smooth exhaust flow like the Paddle Wheel Queen on the Mississippi River, flat no wake.

Osiris

Veteran Member
TDI
New Jetta, 1999, Black/Beige
Skypup,

The OEM exhaust pipes are downturned, your new one is straight. In the last picture, is that the bumper on top of the pipe? I know you shouln't be worried about melting the bumper, the exhaust gasses are much cooler than gassers. Do you think you will have to clean the bumper more often from soot collecting there?

S

SkyPup

I could have gotten the "hidden" downturned endpipe but opted for the visible straight through design. It does not rub or hit anything and yes the temp is indeed mild. So far no soot visible, never have had a soot problem before and will keep an eye on it for now. If I ever want to change it over to something else, it would be a very simple thing to do. Actually, removing the muffler entirely and replacing with a straight pipe is a definite option.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Skypup, now I'm envious as hell. My A3 can't be turned up like your A4 can be (turbo boosted), and now you have your kick booty, bad A$$ Techtonics exhaust. What next, Propane injection? Your car is rad, rad, RAD!!!

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Gee whiz, what don't you have on that machine. How much does it add to the sound, I would not mind a bit more, but have to be
able to travel and not get too much. Also
the cat is gone right??

Ryan Daiber

Excellent exhaust mod. After my OEM exhaust finally broke loose in my Golf td, I got a custom system made, using 2.5 diametre aluminized pipe for the cat, without the middle-box. I used a stainless backbox by Vibrant to keep the noise at a minimum, and a single stainless 4 inch turn-up pipe by DTM. The whole ass-end of the car gets sooted everytime I drive it and I love it!

Ryan

dzlfrek

SkyPup,
You mention that the TT exhaust will handle more than twice the maximum output of the turbo. Does that mean it is possible to attain 140hp and 235ft/lbs with Wett chip and turbo ajdustments?

S

SkyPup

Hmmmm, I thought that is what I previously stated, that if not more. The TT exhaust is not the limiting factor in the cfm flow through the entire engine, that is for sure. One thing a turbocharged engine hates more than anything is a restrictive exhaust system that creates more back pressure, back pressure and excess heat are evil in a turbos mind, the TT setup lays that worry to rest.

S

SkyPup

The ducks are on the floor of the barn since I just ordered some new decoys and have not had time to put weights on them yet. They can't fly as fast as the TDI though!

My catalytic convertor is OEM stock and still on, it is the SUPER LARGE can in front of the middle cross member, the Techtonics is a true "cat-back" system, everything behind the cat is new. I would not recommend taking off the cat for any reason except full closed circuit road race, it is not a major contributor to any back pressure.

Here is the scoop from Techtonics Tuning whom I spoke with last night (phone 503-843-2700 talk to Randy Roth):

The A3 TDI's have a 50mm catalytic convertor.
The A4 TDI's have a 55mm catalytic convertor.

The A3 Jetta 2.5" cat back stainless steel unit is Part#252-450D and is $505.

They have A4 units for all A4 Golf, Jetta, and NB.

RULE #1 - Backpressure in a turbo exhaust system is evil.

RULE #2 - the best exhaust for a turbocharged TDI is the least exhaust.

For more information on the exhaust and turbo interaction, please see my post today entitled, Garrett GT15 VS VNT15.

S

SkyPup

Techtonics Tuning is shipping me my cat-back T-304 totally stainless steel exhaust system for my 98 NB TDI mit Wett this week. I am totally impressed with their workmanship and first class quality high performance systems. Another step in keeping my TDI NB out in front of all the gas guzzlers on the road behind me!

Techtonics Tuning (phone 503-843-2700 ask for Randy Roth about TDI's).

Olli

Veteran Member
SkyPup,

Please comment on how the exhaust system has affected the sound level inside the car. In particular at steady hwy cruising.

Olli

S

SkyPup

Ollie, the sound factor is virtually nil. It is very quiet, if you wanted to try to make it loud, you would have to remove the rear muffler and even then it would be not very loud.
As a matter of fact, the diesel engine and turbine are louder than the exhaust. At idle, you can not hear the exhaust at all. In mid range cruising, no exhaust note. At WOT maybe a little bit louder.
This is a totally unobtrusive system as is. I like it alot and it certainly reinforces my Wetted TDI engine no doubt.

S

SkyPup

Just to reinforce the benefits of the exhaust mods:

S

SkyPup

It is a common misconception that the exhaust turbine half of a turbo is driven purely by the kinetic energy of the exhaust smacking into it (like holding a kid's tow pinwheel behind your tailpipe) While the kinetic energy of the exhaust flow does contribute to the work performed by the turbo, the vast majority of the energy transfered comes from a different source.

Keep in mind the relationship between heat, volume, and pressure when we talk about gasses. High heat, high pressure, and low volume are all high energy states, low heat, low pressure, and large volumes are low energy states.

So our exhaust pulse exits the cylinder at high temperature and high pressure. It gets merged with other exhaust pulses, and enters the turbine inlet - a very small space. At this point, we have very high pressure and very high heat, so our gas has a very high energy level.

As it passes through the diffuser and into the turbine housing, it moves from a small space into a large one. Accordingly, it expands, cools, slows down, and dumps all that energy - into the turbine that we've so cleverly positioned in the housing so that as the gas expands, it pushes against the turbine blades, causing it to rotate. Presto! We've just recovered some energy from the heat of the exhaust, that otherwise would have been lost.

This is a measureable effect: Stick an EGT upstream and downstream of the turbo, and you see a tremendous difference in temperature.

All else being equal, _The amount of work that can be done across an exhaust turbine is determined by the pressure differential at the inlet and outlet_ (in english, raise the turbo inlet pressure, lower the outlet pressure, or both, and you make more power) Pressure is heat, heat is pressure.

Raising the inlet pressure is possible, but tough. Lowering the outlet pressure is easy - just bolt on a bigger, free flowing exhaust. I've seen a couple of posts from people who added aftermarket exhausts, who report "my turbo spools up faster now" Well, that's because by lowering the outlet pressure, you increased the pressure differential, and now the exhaust gas can expand more, and do more work. That increased work pushes harder on your turbo, and it spools up faster. You should also see less boost drop at redline, because if an exhaust system is flow-limited, once you pass the flow limit of the system, any additional gasses you try and force through it only raise the outlet pressure. Higher outlet pressure, lower pressure differential, less work, less boost.

1) Turbos reclaim energy that would otherwise been dumped overboard in the form of heat, by using exhaust gasses to spin a turbine, which in turn spins a compressor, which compresses the intake air. 2) Compressed intake air makes more power, because it allows you to burn more fuel per power stroke of the engine, and because it helps scavenge the engine. (The new, compressed, intake charge "blows out" the remaining exhaust gasses) 3) The amount of work done by a turbo's turbine depends on the amount of gas flow through it, and the pressure differential across it. 4) You can improve the turbine pressure differential by installing an exhaust system with a higher flow capacity than stock. It's impossible to have "too much" exhaust flow downstram of the turbo. 5) The intake compressor works best when it has been specifically sized for an engine's flow requirements and boost levels. 6) The best way to choose a compressor wheel and housing is to call the manufacturer of the turbo, and answer all their questions. 7) Intercoolers are our friends. They reduce the temperature of the compressed intake charge after the compressor has heated it. 8) An intercooler is only as good as the air flow into it ***and out of it*** 9) Wastgates limit boost levels by acting as a "rev limiter" for the turbo.

tom

Veteran Member
Questions concerning this installation Skypup:
How did you handle the size change 2" to 2.5" on the install from the cat. converter? Was there some modification required? (an adapter)?
Why as the system designed to handle so much air flow (644cfm)? I assume the original cat. converter portion of the muffler system isn't what was most restrictive, it was the muffler "choker" as shown in your photo.
I am interested in this companie's product and whould like to investigate getting one on my 98 Jetta.

S

SkyPup

Here is the scoop from Techtonics Tuning whom I spoke with last night (phone 503-843-2700 talk to Randy
Roth):

The A3 TDI's have a 50mm catalytic convertor.
The A4 TDI's have a 55mm catalytic convertor.

The A3 Jetta 2.5" cat back stainless steel unit is Part#252-450D and is $505.

They have A4 units for all A4 Golf, Jetta, and NB.

Give them a call and ask them questions before you pay them, in my Jetta IV and NB there are NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS INSTALL. (PERIOD). REPEAT - NO PROBLEMS, ONLY SOLUTIONS!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

Olli

Veteran Member
SkyPup,

The clarity of the pictures that you have posted is incredible! What kind of camara did you use and how did you get the images posted? Once again, great pictures.

Olli

tom

Veteran Member
I am researching the prospect of a muffler sysytem similar to Skypup's. Upon examination on the setup on my 98 jetta I notice the cat is not of the straight through variety. The pipe enters from the side and then exits the back (from then on it is straight to the muffler w/ dual tailpipes. A local shop can do about anything with good quality. Does the attached site link carry the Borla muffler you purchased? If so I can put a system together:
http://www.carparts.com/parts/search2.asp?eflag=0&itemid=781&partnum=NONE&SegmentId=3&parttypeid=3053&catalogid=10010&dc=&OrderIdentifier=ID312298235101999191&reflink=38358|0|0

Will the lack of a straight path doom any improvement in this muffler system (even with a full flow add-on?
As was mentioned in a previous post, I am not going to mess with the cat. converter.

S

SkyPup

Any straight thru Borla muffler would be more than adequate for max flow improvement. The Borla on my TT system was the top of the line Borla patented XR-1 stainless steel racing straight through system with certified cfm of 644 for use on V-8 motors up to 450 HP.

Scope it out:

www.borla.com
{fixed url}

[This message has been edited by VW Derf (edited October 20, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

BTW, a straight thru 2.5" diameter pipe flows about 640 cfm, way more than any TDI would produce under any circumstances.

S

SkyPup

Installed the same excellent full flow exhaust system from TT last night on the New Beetle TDI, what a difference, the TDI and hyper hopped-up turbo really breathe strong now. Second and third gears are killer. The front end raises so high on WOT that you'd think the little BUG is jumping off the ground, plus the front wheel torque steer is quite significant in the lower gears, time for some bigger rubber and some first class Bilsteins. The full flow exhaust accenuates the turbocharger boost and the Wetterauer chip perfectly. Car is ultrasmooth throughout the entire rev range and very much improved on the top end too.

S

SkyPup

Some info on the Borla muffler that TT supplies with their excellent cat-back system. BTW, other "cat-back VW TDI" exhaust systems I inquired about prior to ordering the TT system were no "cat-back", they were simply different mufflers, some for more than what I paid for the real thing from TT!!!

XR-1® Raceline

Stainless Steel Racing Exhaust Products

"World's Fastest Mufflers"

Unique Features:

Uninterrupted highest flow straight-through patented design has been tested to actually out flow a straight piece of pipe!
Designed to meet the strictest noise requirements.
Made in the USA of 100% Aircraft-Quality T-304 Stainless Steel. It will never rust and is lighter and more durable than mild steel.
All welded construction, one-piece assembly maintains product integrity even under the most adverse conditions. Non-adjustable. No disks to remove or fall
off on the track.
Maintenance-free stainless steel sound-absorbing material to protect against burnout.
The best balance of sound and power on the market.

BORLA exhaust is built of aircraft-quality T-304 stainless steel -- stainless inside and out, not mild steel, not aluminum, not coated aluminum, not just
wrapped with stainless on the outside for show. Coating techniques, such as aluminizing, can somewhat prolong the life of mild steel, but coatings
suffer at the weld points. And, comparing aluminized steel to T-304 stainless steel is like comparing gold-plated metal to solid gold! T-304 stainless
steel has the highest chromium content, making it the most resistant to corrosion and therefore the most desirable material for a long-lasting exhaust
system. Note: Only the flanges are not stainless. In our twenty-year experience, we have found the 3/8"--1/2" flanges are so thick they will never affect
the performance or longevity of the system.

Late model cars and trucks are computer controlled to such an extent that it may take a
period of time (600-800 miles) before the computer reprograms to reflect the improved flow
characteristics of your new BORLA exhaust system.

Craig

Veteran Member
Now if they would only make some sexy-looking tips for those things instead of a bland single pipe. Ughh! Then I might just be interested. I like the Bastuck exhaust imported by H-S Motorsports. They offer 5 different tips styles. One for every taste.

**DONOTDELETE**

Quality Question:

There's a "custom exhaust" shop down the road from me. They're in a very small town near a larger city. I'm not sure what they sell 'cause I haven't stopped in yet. Do you think they can make an exhaust that's incompliance with rules #1 and #2 at a fair price? I don't know if they have stainless steel. But I'm not sure I need it here in the desert. Comments?

BTW, I don't recall if you answered the question regarding how you made the taper from the 2" cat to the 2.5" muffler. Can you paraphrase or recap, please?

Thanks,

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/50,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/StealthTDI <recently moved to this new site>
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

S

SkyPup

A normal muffler shop is NOT going to have mandrel equipment to create full 2.5" interior diameter, instead, where ever they bend it will be cramped with lots of wavy lines in the steel tubing. DO NOT try to save bucks getting a cheap system, it is simply not worth it. If you are going to change out to a new system, get the full cat-back mandrel bent system, not some cheap imitation. You can get it in aluminized steel if you drive in a non-winter salted area, otherwise, stainless steel will last longer than your car will.
BTW, as an aside, after installing the TT system on both my TDI's, Jetta & NB, I must comment on the outstanding undercoat job VW puts on these cars, it is much more comprehensive than any GM, Ford, or Chrysler undercoating I have ever seen, no wonder they warrant the body for so long. Of course if the body rusts through and you have the Wett chip or an aftermarket exhaust system, they can simply deny your warranty claims as the Wett chip or aftermarket exhaust would be responsible for the premature rust through! (Sarcastic!)
The A3 TDI has a 50mm cat while the A4 has a 55mm cat. The 2.5" diameter on the A4 TDI in both my rides comes all the way through the cat back to the center sub-frame where there is a connector on the OEM unit as seen in my photos. The OEM from there back is all one piece and all 2.0" interior diameter, the TT system I installed replaces all that with 2.5" straigh through. The mandrel bent pipes are TOTALLY smooth inside and out, no obstructions.
Go back to my photos and look at the second photo with the giant fat cat in the foreground, look back from there at the connector prior to the center sub frame - it is all one diameter all the way through.
Now look at photo #3, this is the connector I am talking about -> see it is all one size!

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 25, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

Tirzo, these are the photos you have been looking for, hope you see them now!