GARRETT VNT15 TurboKompressor HOP UP BIGTIME!

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
For those of you who haven't installed a Wett or other brand of performance chip.... This additional boost "MAY" cause the ECU to shut down at high boost.. (> 19 pounds)... I'm currently experiencing this with a set of chips that I'm testing....

In skypups description, he said this should only be tried on a vehicle that knows about higher boost...

Gary

S

SkyPup

Okay, I am posting some more very important information from Garrett about the TDI VNT15 in another thread to further clarify what is going on inside the VNT and the TDI ECU. I will take more intelligence to figure this all out. I'll call the thread, Garrett VNT15 Mechanics, Design, and Performance

Craig

Veteran Member
So now you don't need to upgrade to a VNT17 turbo, SkyPup. But the 110 & 115 hp Euro versions have the 17 right? The question is can the VNT17 be turned up exactly like the 15? If so, some of our European members might to be trying this. Maybe too much power! Wonder if any German turners are doing this?

I'm also wondering if similar boost levels can be handed equally as well by the various turning boxes as the Wett chip can handle it? You gotta love that Wett chip even more now. Awesome.

JeffT

Veteran Member
Okay SkyPup, so lets see if I have this straight. I have a new stock '00 Jetta TDI. If at some point I want to play with it and increase performance the incremental steps I probably should take are:

(1) Chip it or use a tuning box to increase my perfomance initially.

(2) Aspirate it by going with a freer flowing exhaust.

(3) Boost it by tweaking the adjustment on the turbo to make use of the increased airflow capacity.

Of course I understand that I need to be careful, etc. But this is interesting. What about increased air cleaner breathing?

Also this modification seems to be something that the weak of heart could put off till the 100,000 miles are up, then breath new life into an old ride.

------------------
Jeff Teolis
2000 Jetta TDI
jteolis@mindspring.com

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Jeff, don't forget 2a) change the airfilter for a K&N filter. 2b) remove airbox screen and MAF screens. These should be good for a few more ponies, especially with a chip or box.

M

mickey

Scroll down. There's a "VNT Adjustment Pics" thread. (Or words to that effect.)

-mickey