$1,000 VW TDI A4 SUPERCAR MODS

S

SkyPup

$1,000 Volkswagen TDI A4 SuperCar Mods

Skypup sezs follow these 10 Steps to achieve TDI Nirvana:

1. Place one thousand dollars in your checking account.
http://www.ml.com/

2. Take any North American A4 Volkswagen 1.9L TDI diesel model (Golf IV, Jetta IV, or New Beetle) and rip the warranty page out of your owners manual.
www3.vw.com

3. Get some Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement or other good cetane booster and lubricity enhancer to treat the crappy North American diesel fuel supply and follow the instructions on the label.
www.powerservice.com

4. Install an aftermarket oiled cloth K&N, RamAir, or other improved airfilter into your OEM airbox.

5. Remove the MAF screens from the front of the intake of the MAF assembly.

6. Call Wetterauer's North American office and arrange to ship them the TDI BOSCH ECU for a chipped software upgrade.
www.chip-tuning.com/usa/main/mainmenu.html

7. Call Techtonics Tuning and order a sweet cat-back 2.5" high performance exhaust system.
www.tttuning.com

8. Get a good turbocharger boost gauge.
www.autometer.com

9. Turn the Garrett VNT15 nozzle actuator on the turbocharger one full turn to the left (clockwise), no more and no less.
www.alliedsignal.com/turbos/products/aftermarket/bc_smallfrm.html

10. Put key in ignition, turn key, apply WOT, hold the steering wheel centered, listen to the turbo hyperwhine, smell burning rubber, view smoke in rear view mirror, feel G-forces envelope body, watch turbo guage smack 23 PSI, slam on ABS disc brakes for a power stop, get out of car, hand law enforcement officer license, listen to his lecture attentively , accept fact that you've broken the law, keenly watch his nose when he first detects the diesel fumes, check for signs of amazement on his face, head on home, don't mention anything to wife, down a brew, relax, log on to Fred's TDI Performance Page, let everyone in the world know that you are one of the chosen few maverick diesel rebels in North America hauling some serious ass in the most technologically advanced ground vehicle on the continent. Read some BS from one of Ric's posts & log off. Send Fred 10% of your hop up money for a donation to his first class work.
Take a snooze, dream about what yer gonna do to the suspension to keep it under control. Congratulations, you've reached Volkswagen TDI Nirvana!

HAVE FUN HORSING AROUND WITH YER TDI FOLKS!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 21, 1999).]

Youry

Veteran Member
Well you have a sence of humour that's obvious. I laughed outloud reading your note. keep it that way and lets keep taking about TDIs (1.9 150 HP whenver it comes out someday)....

------------------
Youry
TDI-110HP boosted to 140HP VW GOLF 4 Belgian owner

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
If you live in a climate where the exhaust system is in danger of a quick death by corrosion (salt on the roads in the winter or salt in the air because you live near either coast) then you will need to add another $200 for Techtonics Tuning's stainless steel cat-back system.

Skypup, only one turn? I thought you went for three?

S

SkyPup

One is for general purpose use by everyday people, three is for rocket scientists who are used to losing a few on the launch pad. I really do not believe that three would give long term survivability. Just listening to that turbine and compressor spool up and fly on three is enough for me to conclude this. Actually surprised none of the compressor hoses to the intercooler or intake manifold have blown up or off yet.

nomad

Veteran Member
Skypup:

I was on Powerservice.com and those are very *big* bottles! How do you carefully get the right amount in your car?

Craig

Veteran Member
I have been through the Autometer website looking for the exact boost gauge you have, and cannot find it. Can you post the part number for yours as well as the mount? Thanks much.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
nomad

I carry a modified tri-pour plastic beaker. I cut it down so I just have one of the pour spouts attached nad removed some of the material opposite that so I can dump the exact amount in the tank each time (yes I use the PS stuff, but I bought it in the 32oz bottle cause I wasn't sure if I wanted to use it forever, wellI am going back to get hte 96 oz bottle).

One Idea I had was to use one of the PS21 washerfluid bottles. The kind that measures out the same amount each time. calibrate what ever that amount is and refill the bottle as needed from the bulk source.

S

SkyPup

I use a small 4OZ empty plastic chain saw oil bottle to pour the required amount into from the big bottle, just stick two small holes in the cap of the big bottle and pour into smaller bottle, no hassles whatsoever. The smaller bottle top fits right into the fuel tank inlet, no mess, no spill, no hassles.

CRAIG:

2-5/8" Liquid-Filled
Mechanical Gauges

Pro-Comp liquid-filled gauges are designed
for racing applications having extreme
vibration or violent pounding. The bourdon
tube gauge mechanism is encased in
dampening fluid. This protection not only
provides steadiness to the pointer but also
adds longer life to the instrument.

Look in the 1999 catalog:

Catalog #5404 BOOST 0-35 PSI 2 5/8" Liquid Filled Mechanical Gauge, comes with all needed attachements. Get an A3 pillar pod (they do not make them for the A4 yet) and customize it with a hot knife to bolt onto A-pillar inthe A4 model VW TDI.

Better yet, get on the phone and call them.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Item 1: OK

Item 2: Not a good idea.

Item 3: Fuel Power is the better choice.

Item 4: Ho hum.

Item 5: Rats can then make a nest in there.

Item 6: Overpriced.

Item 7: Yawn.

Item 8: What for?

Item 9: Not!

Craig

Veteran Member
Wow, lucky they are not monitoring the TDI forum. If they ever knew what yo uguys have done to the Jetta and NB, and saw your postings, they would have busted you for sure!

"Hey THIS IS THE GUY on the net! He's the one with the modified TDI and regularly runs over 100 mph!"

Keith

Veteran Member
Skypup, you're not done. When you remove the vacuum hose from the EGR this weekend, you'll be adding that mod to your list too, and its FREE.

Keith.

S

SkyPup

Ric - all that varnished sooted TDI of yours has been crying out for is a total dismantling with a good steamcleaning and sandblasting.
The last thing that poor TDI needs is a turbogauge. Didn't you stuff a potatoe in yours to quiet it down?
LOLOLOL

When are you going to post your pics of that white whale sitting in the suburban mall jungle parking lot disguised as a Jetta TDI? Everyone is dying to scope that machine out?!?
BTW, DON'T try posting it on the Performance Page, it won't work!

M

mickey

Oops! Ric accidentally stumbled into the Performance section again!

1. $1000? From where, might I ask?

2. "Ripping" is a bit extreme. "Ignore" is a better idea.

3. Two words (2 1/2?) Chevron DieselMotive!

4. Great idea! Cheaper in the long run, even if it doesn't help power. (It won't, unless you proceed to step 6.) I can't figure out why a cheapskate like Ric isn't jumping all over this idea!

5. No point, unless you proceed to step 6. (Rats, Ric? Don't you have an air filter installed?)

6. Do it NOW!!! Do it YESTERDAY!!!!

7. One of these days. (When I get that magical $1000.)

8. Good idea.

9. Probably NOT a good idea, but you only live once! Might as well go out in a blaze of glory...

10. Got pulled over again this morning, this time for going 65 in a 65 zone. (Really!) The prick was so offended by the bright yellow Evil Beetle that he just assumed I was speeding. "I clocked you going 65 miles per hour, sir." "Well, there's a reason for that: THE SPEED LIMIT IS 65!!!" "Uhhhh, ummmmmm....well, everything seems to be in order here. Have a nice day." Idiots! Memo to cops: If you just want to check out the ride, follow me to a parking lot. I'll be glad to show you the car. But yellow=speeding is not very sound logic.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

Mickey, this is no lie. I was on the way to work and had just entered the city limits when one of our finest turned on his blue lights. I pulled over as the sun was rising on the horizon and he came and asked me for my license and I asked whats the problem here, I was cruising along in 4th at the posted speed limit. Meantime, his partner is around on the other side of the awesome TDI Jetta snooping around checking it out. Next, cop #1 says to me everything is in order, then cop #2 says, "Hey, this is one of those Turbodiesel Volkswagens!!!!AWESOME!!!! Can you show us the engine this is the first one I've ever seen up close??"
No problemo boys, turn the GD blue lights off and I'll be more than happy to give you a peek. This two cops were like a kid in a playboy magazine for the first time oggling and ugggling over every detail of my fine machine. Had to start it up so they could hear it, and when I left, #1 said, "Yup, even smells like one!" hahaha LOL

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
Craig, Auto meter Gauge Works is coming out in November a pillar mount for the 1999/2000 model volkswagens. This will be for a 2 1/16 gauge.I have a pair of them mounted on my 1999 Jetta TDi. One is oil pressure and the other is boost/vac. The boost vac was the only one i could get at the time, but now there is a booost only one. Go to their site and request a catalog. they are quick to respond and are very helpful if you e-mail them.

------------------
Frank TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
1999 Golf TDI

S

SkyPup

The only gauge Ric needs is a depth gauge to see how far down he takes his TDI, maybe could get one from a decomissioned Russian Nuclear Submarine on the cheap
LOLLOL
BTW, oil pessure and oil temperature gauges are very informative and would be a welcomed addition.

S

SkyPup

Anyone else have any ideas other than these as to how you can increase both the Horsepower and Torque of a U.S. spec TDI by 50%? This months issue of VW TRENDS magazine had a few recommendations from Autobahn Design, New Dimension, NeuSpeed, etc. for increasing TDI performance at a cost of $8,000 U.S., and still no where near my mods! HA!

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD VW TDI'S MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Skypup,

I wonder if we should write an article and submit it to VW Power (or whatever) magazine and see if we could get it published ??? It would be great advertising for Fred's Page and prove to the world there ARE people in the US that want fast Diesels...

Gary

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I agree. And God knows Skypup would be able to submitt enough words!

Perhaps it really would get people interested enough for VW to REALLY get us some TDI's over here. Maybe Wett would work with you Skypup, for the free advertising. (I mean like validation of your 'designs'. Maybe a new chip that throws the fuel to it!)

This might be COOL!

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
I suspect we won't get any respect (Rodney Dangerfield here..) without some hard performance numbers.... 0-60, Quarter Mile, Dyno, .... Fuel economy is a given, but performance isn't... I'm sure the world is wondering why MB pulled their diesels from our shores.....

Gary

S

SkyPup

For sure the one that produces the most smoke produces the most fuel that produces the most power. I talked to Kelly Kay of Wetterauer about the N.A.2 chip and she has only shipped two of these to customers worried about smoking.
I have the original standard issue WETT's in both TDI rides and they both are strong. With my recent VNT turbo adjustment, I have extremely minor smoke at night in the bright lights (not visible during daylight) under WOT in 2nd or 3rd gears when the propensitity to smoke is the strongest for the TDI, chipped or non-chipped. The VNT mods pull the nozzles down faster (boost starts at 1,200rpm!
) and max boost is reached higher and faster too, giving the engine more air to breathe. I would imagine my turbo mods are above the maximum for the fuel delivery maps and that is okay for the time being, as I scheme other mods to regulate the fuel at the fuel pump through the ECU. One of these days, I'll be making another quantum TDI techno leap as soon as I do some more research!

krakonos

Veteran Member
Thanks Skypup!
Set of instructions which make a lot of sense.
I'll try to follow, once I get past the hard #1.
I notice in your signature you state: Ich lebe mein Techorad......
Mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, aber.....

What about: Ich liebe mein Techorad.....

To live or to love, that is the question.

Just wondering.

S

SkyPup

I do not claim to know it all or be the sole source for how to mod your TDI's, but my two Wetterauer chipped A4 1.9L USA TDI's have now traveled over 40,000 miles since installing the Wett chips. I have constantly screwed around with the cars quite a bit since first upgrading to WETT (after the initial 1,000 miles break-in, but before the 5,000 break-in oil change). Neither TDI engine has has produced a tiny wimper of anything and both constantly roar like a lion. Each Wett chip has been a solid foundation basis for all other mods added afterwards to increase airflow (intake and exhaust) through the TDI for more power output. I am not saying that Wetterauer is the absolute perfection of all things TDI, but in my experience to date, no one is any closer. My decision to put out the money and time to install the Wetterauer software EPROMS has no regrets and I have not looked back once. Satisfaction is the reward for me. Plus, I would expect and trust that Wetterauer will improve and upgrade their custom products more in the future and I plan to have my TDI running strong in the next millenium.
Everyone else can make up their own minds from their own experiences.
If anything I have tried out DID NOT WORK and was a bust or a rip-off, YOU CAN TRUST that I would be blabbing it all over these forums for certain. The reason I am not crying FOWL is the TDI's are FLYING HIGH and haven't crashed yet, only keep getting HIGHER!

S

SkyPup

From my perspective as a United States TDI owner, I personally am not aware of any $1,000 TDI mods that will raise output 50%. Otteinger, ABT, TEC, Wetterauer and other German TUV approved tuners needed to market more German TDI mods here in North America.
Fred's Performance Forum has raised the level of world consciousness in the TDI Performace market and other players are entering the fray as evidenced by increased interests in other VW Tuners (Tuning Box, HOPA, etc.).
There will be some heavy duty developments next year, I am sure, since tuners are getting bombarded with TDI freaks lately. My TDI's are ready and waiting!

S

SkyPup

The ABD Racing Golf IV mit Wett chip ride is in European Car magazine this month, it is about a 2-3 page article. It is not very informative and has no information about Wetterauer, the author does state that the chipped diesel is a hoot to drive and that an experience driver will have to adjust to the diesel or end up with massive wheel spin from too agressive throttle application.

As soon as I get some heavy duty Bilstein shocks, my Jetta TDI will blow off this ride in a straight line or around a turn, all for alot less investment.

EC mag also had the top ten baby boomer cars and my BMW 2002 was one of them. I never thought I would ever have a car that I would enjoy driving that was so much fun and so precise until now. My Jetta TDI is a match for my Korman AutoWorks Bimmer Stage III set up, as soon as I install those shocks! Great ride!

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Skypup, the MK4 Jettas have the same slushy ride as my MK3 did. You just aren't taking advantage of your hopped up TDI's power until you've upgraded the suspension. You may find that you drive a lot more agressively once you've upgraded! Oh, by the way, there goes your $1000 mods limit! ;0

Concerning the reduced smoke Wett chips. I asked for them after deciding my original chips were too smokey. Wetterauer sent me them and now I can switch back and forth at will. I discovered two things;

1. The smoke is from the crappy diesel we get here in the States. It's reduced using diesel fuel modifier and cetane boost (I use Amsoil but there are many good ones out there) or using truly premium diesel (I found Koch Gold 50 here in MN works well - no ectra power, but reduced smoke).

2. I'm confused (what's new!
). After installing my boost guage, I switched back to the Smokey chipset. My peak boost is lower!!! I don't get it. The car is slightly more smokey (esp. punching it in 2nd at ~1200 rpm) but I get less power?!? The obvious response is I mixed up my chipsets, but I really don't think so. This again raises the idea of "learning" happening in the ECU. Then again, I'm am a space cadet sometimes.....

Anyway, the point is the reduced smoke Wett chips aren't necessary. Buy premium diesel or modify the garbage you get at Super Amreica. Also, keep the rpm's above 1500 (which means if you're Ric, you have a 300 rpm power band
!). I'm done typing now...

------------------
D'nardo
Smokin into the new millenium...
98 Jetta TDI mit Wett. chip

S

SkyPup

D'nardo thanks:
1.) The Jetta IV TDI suspension is a boat for sure, when I get it set up like my 2002 it will handle much better. The NB TDI, BTW, has a much better stock suspension and almost needs nothing but some more rubber. It does appear that it will cost about another $1,000 to tailor the Jetta's suspension up to the level of the very strong TDI engine output. After that, this thing is your basic "pocket rocket" stealing that description from my BMW 2002. I wouldn't compare a legenday car like the 2002 to the TDI lightly, but I am happy to now that I have found TDI nirvana.
2.) The Wett chip takes some adaptive values before it settles in, probably about 40 or so cold-hot-cold cycles, that could be two weeks of driving time or so.
3. You are right on with the cetane booster, it makes a total turn around in how the engine starts, runs, and sounds immediately. Plus alot less smoke output too. BTW, my VNT turbo mod of adjusting the boost also makes a huge difference in the smoke output (virtually nil) and engine response throughout the entire rev range - stronger everywhere all the time.

S

SkyPup

Hugh and others, this is the basic thread for getting the performance out of your TDI that Gary's dyno results reveal!
Enjoy!!!