P2457 - EGR cooling performance

fdhunter

TDI
2009 JSW
2009 JSW with 150K miles. I had the CEL light appear and I downloaded the codes and it showed the following code. P2457 - EGR cooling Performance. The car seams to be running fine. If you clear the code it comes back after about 60 - 100 miles. Any one have any ideas, I have search the web and have not found the same code reported on other VWs, but I did find it on the dodge sprinter forum and some other full size diesel truck forums.

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Lemme think... oh yea. The good ol' EGR. Its like automotive engineering designers know they have all this hot exhaust gas and ought to do something with it. So, they started to use it to help emissions way back in the 60s. And its been with us ever since. Diesels never had emission systems, but they do now, big time. Your 2009 TDI is an example of a workable way to keep a diesel from having a lot of objectionable emissions, its a friend of the earth, me too! Beijing today looks just like LA in the late 60's, choking on smog.

At any rate, your car with 150k likely has a balky or just plain non-functional EGR valve. Change it out for a new one. Good bye P2457. :)

Lots of hot rod guys, God bless their hearts, have been removing or blanking or otherwise deviating from the manufacturers egr design for decades, and will continue to do so for decades to come, and not just with the egr. BUT today's TDI, your TDI, includes an element of exhaust cooling which those pesky engineering designers somehow utilize and include in the control algorithm to keep your car clean and efficient. So, messing with the egr messes with exhaust gas temperature; inadvisable for the average motorist. The hot rod guys know that their messing around is why they have a fire extinguisher in the rear driver side footwell, right?! ;)

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
EGR is essential in reducing NO (Nitrous-oxide) in the exhaust. EGR is especially essential in clean diesels as NO is formed in heat of compression. If you dump CO2 in the intake when running super lean (idle to low fuel input) you don't have excess oxygen to convert N2 to NO. I would clean the EGR valve, as it get clogged with carbon residue. Just extract it from the car and blast free the Carbon, especially near the valve actuator. The cooler should not have anything to do with the code as it is a simple non-monitored device. The cooler is quite different on the 2009 from what is on my 2006.5 and your EGR extraction is from past the Catalytic Converter so it should be free from engine oil and thereby reducing Carbon build up. I really don't know what the code means in a real sense on the 2009, but i would guess you have some actuation issue on the Valve. Let us know what you see.

fdhunter

TDI
2009 JSW
The problem turned out being the heater core was blocked and since the heater core follows the EGR cooler, the coolant was not flowing thru the EGR cooler, so it was not able to cool down the EGR cooler. No coolant flow through it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Blocked heater core on a 2009? I don't recall seeing a similar post here.

Are you the original owner? Was the coolant replaced at any time in the 150k miles?

I'm curious because my 2009 JSW cooling system had to be flushed at 50k miles, as it was quite brown, and there was rust-colored crud in the system. I've been concerned about the heater core, but so far, so good.

Glad you solved your problem!

fdhunter

TDI
2009 JSW
There has been no other posts on P2457 - EGR cooling performance problems. At least I didn't have to replace the EGR Cooler.

Blocked heater core on a 2009? I don't recall seeing a similar post here.

Are you the original owner? Yes

Was the coolant replaced at any time in the 150k miles? yes, after minor accident with a deer.

I'm curious because my 2009 JSW cooling system had to be flushed at 50k miles, as it was quite brown, and there was rust-colored crud in the system. I've been concerned about the heater core, but so far, so good.

Glad you solved your problem!

sktan

TDI
VW 2012 Passat
2009 JSW with 150K miles. I had the CEL light appear and I downloaded the codes and it showed the following code. P2457 - EGR cooling Performance. The car seams to be running fine. If you clear the code it comes back after about 60 - 100 miles. Any one have any ideas, I have search the web and have not found the same code reported on other VWs, but I did find it on the dodge sprinter forum and some other full size diesel truck forums.
You need to check out the EGR valve and EGR cooler. Better to have them both cleaned. And you may have to replace your EGR system if cleaning does not work. To know more information about EGR cooler and valve, you may visit our website @ http://www.commercialegrcooler.com/egr-cooler-system.html . If you have any further questions, you can send us an email, I would be happy to ask our engineers to help you out.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You need to check out the EGR valve and EGR cooler. Better to have them both cleaned. And you may have to replace your EGR system if cleaning does not work. To know more information about EGR cooler and valve, you may visit our website @ http://www.commercialegrcooler.com/egr-cooler-system.html . If you have any further questions, you can send us an email, I would be happy to ask our engineers to help you out.
You probably should have finished reading this 2 year old thread before bumping it

intel232

TDI
2011 jetta
2011 jetta tdi 68k miles

Just bought this vehicle couple days ago never owned a diesel before. As soon as i got out the mom and pop dealership engine light came on, p2547 and sold as is he probibly erased code to sell it looked into at autozone and recomendation was to change out heater core. No hot air comes out car has only 67 thousand miles on it 2011 TDI:confused::mad: