Budding engine designers...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hey guys,

I have been asked by several people who would like to try their hand at tinkering with some engine simulation programs, for example, to see the effect of certain mods on the performance of the TDI engine.

To that end, some time ago I had created a simulation file that models a TDI engine using a program that can be downloaded on a free, time-limited evaluation basis. This program is called Engine Analyzer Pro by Performance Trends. I find this program to be a useful and fairly powerful tool while remaining easy to use for non-professionals.

I am now giving out this data file, which took several weeks of my time in intensive research and development, so that people who wish to try out this program for themselves have a common baseline with which to compare. The nice thing is, you can quickly see the effects of, say, increasing the displacement of the engine; replacing the turbo; installing a different cam; larger valves/ports; different length runner manifolds; etc.

By having a common baseline, any future discussions about numbers that are spat out by the program as a result of some investigated mod will be compared on an apples-to-apples basis.

I don't claim that this model is perfect. My criteria was to model as accurately as possible, using known dimensions and specifications of the TDI engine, to come up with a baseline that gives reasonably accurate torque and power curves of a real-world TDI engine. This model assumes a chipped 1Z/AHU TDI (i.e. GT15 turbo) and no other mods. It gives peak torque/HP figures of 103 HP and 184 lb. ft., respectively -- conservative, but realistic, and hey, it's meant to be a baseline. Also, ignore results above ~4500 RPM as the model does not take into account ECU rev limiters.

If anyone cares to further refine this model, or build models to simulate ALH-, PD- or other VW engines, by all means feel free. All I would ask is that you share these data files just as I have done here, and that we have a central source of the data files, so that we are always using the same, latest code.

The data file is a simple and tiny ZIP'ed plain-text file, which you can download here: http://bit.ly/v4VnEp

In order to utilize this data file, you must first save it into the correct directory. If you accepted all the defaults when you first installed the program, the data file should be extracted from the ZIP and saved here: C:\perftrns.pti\eap33\Users Total Engine Files, which should already be created. Then, to open the file, from the program main menu, click on “File (engine)” and then select “Open One of My Saved Engines,” and you should see the file called something like “TDI stock cam”. From here, you can change any engine parameter you desire, and compare the numbers generated by the simulation runs. It is best to change one parameter or one related group of parameters at a time (e.g. cam timings). And for the the sake of comparing and discussing apples-to-apples, DOCUMENT what you have changed from the baseline to arrive at the results!

It is very important to note that the results from the simulations should not be considered indicative of the what you can expect in the real world, but what it does show is the effect of varying different parameters on engine performance, and it’s simply a tool to compare different design changes against a certain baseline. Obviously, nothing can validate a performance mod better than actual dyno results.

Have fun!

Last edited:

diesel des

Veteran Member
Didnt someone do a basic excell sheet that had stuff like this in it. It had some fiddle factors but worked out very close. Anyone have the file? Thanks,des.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The curves for your modified cam looks almost exactly to mine!

Peak HP: 116 @ 4500, Avg: 86.6
Peak TQ: 182 @ 2000, Avg: 142

My ultimate goal is simulate, design and build a 1000 HP naturally-aspirated, 6.0L V12 gasoline engine. At 904 now with minimal optimization.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
diesel des said:
Didnt someone do a basic excell sheet that had stuff like this in it. It had some fiddle factors but worked out very close. Anyone have the file? Thanks,des.
I did something like that a long time ago, but the Engine Analyzer solution is way better and makes my educated-guess spreadsheet obsolete. Keep in mind that the evaluation copy has a time limit of a few days, so you had better have all your ducks in a row before using it.

I have a mild interest in seeing how much can be obtained from a 16-valve 4-cylinder gasoline engine with 76.0mm bore and 55.0mm stroke ...

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Brian, the EAP software already has some example engine files numbering some 30 or 40 including production engines to NASCAR to Top Fuel drag motors. Of interest to you I think is that there are several motorcycle exmaples, including Yamaha XV125, Legends 1200cc Yamaha, Honda CBR 1000, 2003 Honda CRF 450, etc., etc. You can use any one of these thast most closely matches your motor of interest and change the relevant parameters to suit, and see how the numbers compare with the real world.

Expect a call from me soon. Sorry it's been such a delay. Crazy busy here...

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I think this thread would be a great spring board to see what different people come up for TDI performance enhancements. Keep the discussion going.

And for those who are interested in the subject of engine simulation with this software and are serious about working with it, GolfTD shared with me his own forum dedicated to the subject. Hope you don't mind, Arto. I will definitely be signing up. :)