ALH injection pump compatibility

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Physically they fit but I don't know if the rotation is correct.
Hmmm...the 4BTA is gear driven, and looking at the front, the crank spins clock-wise. With three gear meshes, I suspect the TDI also spins clockwise as seen from the passenger side. I guess the cam plate could be an issue.

Now filling the 12mm piston at 3000 rpm is not something the Cummins-es need to worry about very often. TDI's otoh...
cheers,
Douglas

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
The 12mm can fill fine over 3000rpm given adequate lift pump pressure, however all ve’s as far as I’m aware hit peak cc at 1900rpm, then taper off the higher you go.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The 12mm can fill fine over 3000rpm given adequate lift pump pressure, however all ve’s as far as I’m aware hit peak cc at 1900rpm, then taper off the higher you go.
I think some means of holding the shaft seal in place would be needed. Push that pup out and oil gets diluted quickly. Ability to hold 50 psi of input would be nice. For that matter while contemplating nutsy stuff, let's just put a 4-pot P pump on the side. 4 individual 12mm...:)
cheers,
Douglas

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
The Cummins guys figured that one out years ago. Loctite the seal, and they’ll hold. There’s another guy that dual fed one using a power steering pump to feed where the fss goes.

Only downside with the p pump is static timing only, and they take quite a bit more horsepower to run (harder on belts). Properly benched, 12mm p pumps can put out in the 660cc range, and if that’s not enough for you there’s 13, 14, 15, and 16mm barrels out there, so you can run up to about 1400cc. I don’t know what you’re going to do with 3000+hp worth of fuel on a 2l, but when has that ever really mattered?