TDIclub Secret Society of Ford Powerstroke Owners (SSFPO)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I don't suppose we could have a club for TDI owners who also have Powerstroke trucks, since there are the Benz and Beamer clubs?

I have a 1995 F-Super Duty (basically an F450). Like a Mk4, it's super easy to work on.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
If its not already out there, then thanks for creating.
I'm closely following the F150 3L powerstroke. Thinking about making this my next vehicle purchase. Just waiting for more market info from owners before taking the leap.
My brother and I used to have a E series van with 7.3L. It would move anything with ease.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I don't suppose we could have a club for TDI owners who also have Powerstroke trucks, since there are the Benz and Beamer clubs?
I have a 1995 F-Super Duty (basically an F450). Like a Mk4, it's super easy to work on.
I had a 1997 30 ft motorhome with the F450 diesel chassis! Loved it. My first diesel! Ran like a locomotive!

TM

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I wish this thread existed back in 2013 when I had an 08 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.4L PowerStroke. I later sold the truck because it's not my daily driver and it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I'm the only driver of them. Fast forwarding to today, I miss that truck and wish I had kept it. The truck was too d@mn useful for those times when I needed a truck. That means I probably will have another diesel pickup truck again someday. If I someday add another diesel vehicle to my all-diesel fleet, it likely will be a diesel pickup truck. The diesel pickup truck market is well established does not appear to be threatened at all.
:)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Until you need to replace an oil pan :eek: . You should get one of the six position tuning chips that attaches to the ecu- really wakes things up.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oil pan in a F series is peanuts compared to completing the job in a E series van.
Probably true. Pulling the motor just to replace the pan isn't much fun in the F series though. Unless you don't mind hacking out the crossmember and welding it back in.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Until you need to replace an oil pan :eek: . You should get one of the six position tuning chips that attaches to the ecu- really wakes things up.
I actually put on the Hydra. In fact, I need to reprogram it so I have high idle options to get the AC to wake up on really hot days when I'm not moving. I usually have it set to 25HP or 40HP towing (since I bought the truck to tow).

Thankfully, I don't have much of an oil leak, if any leak. But I've had to replace the usual camshaft position sensor and exhaust back pressure sensor/tube.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Probably true. Pulling the motor just to replace the pan isn't much fun in the F series though. Unless you don't mind hacking out the crossmember and welding it back in.
Is it any different on my truck than yours? You should have the 2nd version of the 7.3, whereas I have the first version, and there are some differences between the 2, as far as placement of some things and whatnot.

Count me in...
99 F350, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 here. I'll never sell this truck! :D
Ahh, Glendora - I actually grew up there, though I consider San Dimas my hometown. Was there twice this week!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it any different on my truck than yours? You should have the 2nd version of the 7.3, whereas I have the first version, and there are some differences between the 2, as far as placement of some things and whatnot.
I think the crossmember is in the way on both the old body style and superduty 7.3 powerstroke F series. Even if it wasn't in the way on the OBS, the rtv gasket is extremely finicky about any oil contamination on the mating surfaces. The official procedure calls for pulling the engine and rotating it upside down on a stand so that no oil drips down and ruins the rtv seal. Though Moroso makes a special (and expensive) oil pan gasket that eliminates the need for rtv. Major pita job any way you cut it. Fortunately for you, Texas trucks aren't likely to have issues with oil pan rot.

Last edited:

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Why do some powerstrokes sound like they are missing under acceleration. Heard one today pulling out towing a tractor on a trailer.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Why do some powerstrokes sound like they are missing under acceleration. Heard one today pulling out towing a tractor on a trailer.
Depends on which one since there's quite a few major redesigns of the Powerstroke. I assume it was a 6.bl0w you heard go by, usually it's an injector issue or a cracked oil cooler that creates cascading issues.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Depends on which one since there's quite a few major redesigns of the Powerstroke. I assume it was a 6.bl0w you heard go by, usually it's an injector issue or a cracked oil cooler that creates cascading issues.
Yeah, there were definitely different iterations. I hear that some of the later 6.0's were more resilient than the 2003 and 2004 6.0's (though they all had issues). There's also the 6.4 that sucked so bad, it was only out for 2 years before Ford went to their own in-house 6.7.

Longhorn1986

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Well, FWIW, I currently own two Powerstrokes in addition to my TDI.

Old Black is a 1996 F250 7.3. I have it up for sale to make room in the driveways for the TDI. Added an Edge Evolution, 4" exhaust & Afe Stage II intake. Great old truck and it breaks my heart to part with it, but four vehicles between two people is just silly.

The Jolly Green Giant is my 2011 F350 6.7. I have done a delete and added a GDPTuning EZ Lynk tuner to it. I use it to tow my boat.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I don't think 4 vehicles for 2 people is silly. Here, there are 2 people, but 6 TDIs (5 that currently run), 2 trucks, a side-by-side, and 2 tractors, all diesel. Plus 4 diesel generators. Though I admit, one of the trucks needs to go bye bye (the GMC, I'm not letting my OBS out of my sight!).

Longhorn1986

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I hear you. I hated to let my OBS go, but I just ran out of space, Fortunately, I sold it to a fellow I've know since Jr High who bought it for his son, so at least it went to a good home.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I hear you. I hated to let my OBS go, but I just ran out of space, Fortunately, I sold it to a fellow I've know since Jr High who bought it for his son, so at least it went to a good home.
Oh, BTW, OBS stands for "Old Body Style." Embarrassing.