Amsoil In this Thread only

Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
There are literally hundreds of oils that have approval from VW for the 507 spec. Mobil has four oils with VW 507 approval. I don't see any amsoil products on the official approved oils list. My guess is that they could get approval if they were willing to pay for the certification.
Here's a wild and crazy theory: Is it possible that the VW list you looked at isn't complete?

Is it possible it was published before Amsoil was approved?

Have you ASKED Volkswagen?

Or is it just more comforting to believe that voices come out of burning bushes and that Amsoil is the work of the devil?

Seriously. It's approved. There was no second shooter on the grassy knoll. Armstrong DID walk on the moon.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mobil 1 does not have any approval from VW according to their own data sheet. They do have other synthetic oils under the Mobil 1 banner. I didn't look up all of them. But Mobil 1 is "approved" by Honda/Acura and in limited GM applications.
They also list two other GM specs as being "Approved by MOBIL". (Their words.)
Come on.....game over. Move on.
-mickey

Mobil1 makes a lot of products. You must be looking at the wrong data sheet. My position is not that amsoil is lying, but rather that they are very deceptive in their marketing. Giving the impression that they have VW approval when in fact they do not.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a wild and crazy theory: Is it possible that the VW list you looked at isn't complete?
Is it possible it was published before Amsoil was approved?
Have you ASKED Volkswagen?
Or is it just more comforting to believe that voices come out of burning bushes and that Amsoil is the work of the devil?
Seriously. It's approved. There was no second shooter on the grassy knoll. Armstrong DID walk on the moon.
-mickey
It's possible amsoil did recently get approval. But they have been using the same deceptive language suggesting they had approval all along.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Mobil1 makes a lot of products. You must be looking at the wrong data sheet. My position is not that amsoil is lying, but rather that they are very deceptive in their marketing. Giving the impression that they have VW approval when in fact they do not.
How many data sheets does Mobil 1 have?

Look at ANY oil from ANY manufacturer and tell me it's "approved" for all car makes. "Manufacturer approval" is unusual. They all say the same thing Amsoil says: "Meets the requirements of......"

Deceptive in their marketing? No they're not. They say exactly the same thing everyone else does. At no point has Amsoil EVER claimed to be "Manufacturer approved" when they're not.

It's just oil. You may not like multi-level marketing. (Neither do I.) But guess what? If you buy Mobil 1 from your local part's store its passed through multiple hands, each of which marked it up. Same thing.

If you think Amsoil is "deceptive" then prove it.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And I have no plans to sacrifice anybody on the anti amsoil altar. In fact, I have a quart of amsoil European car 5w40 in the back of my car right now.

Last edited:

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
It's possible amsoil did recently get approval. But they have been using the same deceptive language suggesting they had approval all along.
I have a bunch of old Amsoil bottles in my garage. I've been though this debate before. NONE of them claim any manufacturer approval that they don't have. They "meet the requirements of...." Just like everybody else.

This is the first time I've ever seen Amsoil claim actual Manufacturer Approval. On what basis am I to assume they're being "deceptive"? (i.e. "lying.")

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Another example: Castrol Edge 5w30. "Meets or exceeds industry standards", and lists VW specs among the "standards." "Trusted to perform by" Volkswagen, among others.

NO CLAIM WHATSOEVER that it has any "Manufacturer approval."

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another example: Castrol Edge 5w30. "Meets or exceeds industry standards", and lists VW specs among the "standards." "Trusted to perform by" Volkswagen, among others.

NO CLAIM WHATSOEVER that it has any "Manufacturer approval."

-mickey
You might be looking at the wrong Castrol 5w30. Take a look at mobil1 ESP 5w30. Clearly 507 approved.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Here is the official Volkswagen of American Technical Bulletin listing oils that meet VW 507.00

NOWHERE does it suggest that any of them are officially "certified", and it also says that these oils are AMONG those that are GENERALLY AVAILABLE in North America. (Ever tried to buy Amsoil in an auto parts store? It's not "generally available.)

VW says straight up that this isn't an exhaustive list even of "generally available" options.

https://www.anciravolkswagen.com/blogs/949/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Approved-Oil-List.pdf

Bizarrely, Volkswagen says it's a list of oils "generally available in North America", then immediately qualifies that with the disclaimer "some may not be available in North America." A brief perusal of the list shows that MOST of them are not generally available in North America. (Unless you think Petro China can be bought at Auto Zone.)

Has anyone ever sat down with a VW engineer and asked about this stuff? If so, did he respond with a "who cares" look and suggest you get a girlfriend?

"Certified"....LOL! That is a meaningless marketing term, just like all the others. Amsoil is as "certified" as any of them.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
You might be looking at the wrong Castrol 5w30. Take a look at mobil1 ESP 5w30. Clearly 507 approved.
You are correct, sir. VW 507.00 approved. Just like the Amsoil product. Same words.

I was talking about Mobil 1. Not ESP. And I was listing the "approvals" as part of my general thesis that "approval" or "certification" is rare for ANY brand of oil, even if those words actually mean anything. I never claimed that no Mobil products are approved by VW.

But Amsoil, of course, is lying. Mobil is not. Because.....ummm.....why, exactly?

Face it: European Car Formula 5w30 is APPROVED BY VW. Based on exactly the same evidence as any other product. Until proven otherwise.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
And Amsoil users are supposed to be the "cult" in this scenario....LOL! Whatever.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may well be approved, but I don't think that language implicitly states that it is.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Further bizarre, contradictory VW info: Take a look at their OFFICIAL list of "some" of the oils that are "approved" for 507.00. HALF OF THEM ARE 5w40!!! Yet elsewhere they say that only 5w30 is okay. (Or sometimes 0w30, depending on where you look.)

If VW doesn't even know then who are we to even bicker about it? Seriously. If you're putting Amsoil on trial the judge has to at least be able to cite the applicable statute.

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
It may well be approved, but I don't think that language implicitly states that it is.
Perhaps "MANUFACTURER'S APPROVALS" in bold print means something different in your language? Especially when called out separately from the rest of the list of specs, none of which are in bold print or use the word "approval."

They use THE SAME EXACT LANGUAGE as everyone else.

I suggest you take a few days to let his gradually sink in. It can be a culture shock when the gates are first opened. Decades of firm believe that no Amsoil product can possibly be approved.....and then it IS.

You're like Newton having an Einstein moment. Time and space no longer make sense. It's kind of dizzying. :D

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Whatever, dude. I'm done. It's approved. Don't believe it if you don't want to. I may be an atheist, but I've got better things to do than to argue with true believers. Live and be well.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Amsoil 5w40 European car formula has manufacturer approvals for BMW longlife-04, MB 229.51, and Porshe A40. It is recommended (not approved)for VW 502/505.01 and GMdexos2.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, I just looked at some amsoil pages and it does appear that the 5w30 esp has 507 approval. I really had no dog in this- I don't read the owners manual as gospel or even use 507 oils.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Ok, I just looked at some amsoil pages and it does appear that the 5w30 esp has 507 approval. I really had no dog in this- I don't read the owners manual as gospel or even use 507 oils.
THANK YOU!

I felt like Galileo at the Inquisition.

-mickey

p.s. Unless you have a particulate filter you don't need 507.00. And if you DO have one, and get rid of the filter (for offroad use only) then you no longer need it.

If you DO have the filter I'd strongly suggest using 507.00. Particulate filters in diesels already have a checkered history. I wouldn't tempt fate.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
How much did Castrol pay vw to have their product on vw shelfs and and the service department says if you use anything else then vw may deny warranty. 13 bucks for a group 3 engine oil and some 30 bucks for dsg oil plus tax. A rip off for a product that is inferior to other products at a lower cost.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
507 ratings of oils. I could see as long as your car is still covered by warranty then use a 507 oil. If no warranty then a good diesel oil without the 507 BS would work fine if ones engine does not use a great deal of oil between changes. I used T6 in my 2010 that I turned in for a 2015 tdi. The T6 in the 2010 used the least amount of any oils that I every used in it. It used maybe 8 10 oz's between oil changes. My 2015 I will us a 507 only because it has a 260000 km warranty on the emissions other wise I would be using say Amsoil HDD 5W30 or the Shell T6.
I used the T6 in my 2010 tdi for some 160,000 km's or more. Each their own as to what you think is best.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Hey "New Mickey",

Good grief, are we still debating the whole Amsoil Cert issue from ten years ago?I posted a long novel's worth of responses on the subject myself. Now that Al Amatuzio's son and SIL are running Amsoil, I suspect they'll obtain the proper Certifications where the corporate ROI would justify it, for example with their VW 504/507 Euro Formula and BMW and Mercedes, TDI Spec oils.

FWIW, I like the new, Heavy Duty, API rated, CK-4/SN oils even better than the VW 504/507, or MB 229.51 stuff. The formulation chemistry of the "dual use" , European lubes is largely driven by the requirements of turbocharged, DI GAS engines these days (to prevent "LSPI"). So they may be less than optimal for use in modern, TDI diesels. Of course we have seen this with previous VW/Audi/Porsche lubes - specifically the VW 502.00/505.01 oils. The majority of those generated underwhelming results, based on used oil analysis....

Amsoil hasn't bothered getting VW 502.00, or VW 505.01 Certs. Since both are outdated Specifications anyway, I doubt they'll do so in the future....

Welcome back, by the way!

TS

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Well as far as I am concerned Amsoil is all a hype and BS. Porsche factory rep inspected my 2017 Cayman S for engine damage. Looks like Porsche or I will be going after AMSOIL FOR ENGINE DAMAGE. Will keep you posted. All I can say is I should have kept using Mobil 1 never had any problems with Mobil 1in any of my Porsches or VW TDis

Jamo68

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
FYI: AMSOIL uses 40% "base oil" purchased from Mobil. AMSOIL does not have a refinery AND they truck in their oil via truck and or rail line spur in the Superior location. A personal friend of mine is one of the main oil reps for the mines in Minnesota and I asked him about AMsoil and he said AMSOIL has a "national" account with Mobil for their base stock production of AMSOIL. This friend of mine has sold my shop oil and has been in the oil business for over 35 years.......

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Liqui Moly Top tec 4200 is one I ran into while browsing in a Napa store. It has the 507 spec and I am reluctant to try anything without that approval. I'll try that one next time if I decide to keep the car. Canadian Tire has a European Formula oil that supposedly meets the 507 spec and I used it once. Last one though was the Castrol from the dealer again.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Would like to disclose more info, but can’t till case is over. Hopefully I will be able to post results.Will follow my attorneys advice. Porsche still has motor. German factory rep and Porsche has motor under their possession, will keep you guys informed. To make a story short, I have been using Mobil 1, and that’s what I will keep on using.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Would like to disclose more info, but can’t till case is over. Hopefully I will be able to post results.Will follow my attorneys advice. Porsche still has motor. German factory rep and Porsche has motor under their possession, will keep you guys informed. To make a story short, I have been using Mobil 1, and that’s what I will keep on using.
You post on a forum that Amsoil caused engine damage and not tell us details? Of course people here want details. Let me guess, burning oil due to excessive wear caused by amsoil?

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Sorry but I'm using Schaeffer 8008 Advanced European Performance Mid SAPS SAE 5W-30.
Their stamp of 507 ???

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I see that Amsoil and other boutique oil producers now have manufacturer approved oils but at shorter OCI's. I'm guessing that class III oils populate their base stocks and the more expensive PAO's and esters are non-existent or negligible. Probably one wholesaler that sells to everyone and they just provide their own jugs. If I am going to buy a class III I will save my money and buy off the shelf at walmart for any number of less costly. brands.