Battery light, ABS light, Airbag light + really loud (like a tractor trailer)

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Does this mean I need a new alternator? -- The battery light on the dash came on along with ABS and an airbag light (no CEL). Car also got really loud. Sounded neat but I know its not supposed to be this loud. Also a very bad smell (like something burning).
Car has 188k on it right now. How big of a job is it to replace the alternator if thats what it is? I have a multimeter but am limited with other tools so I'd have to bring to a shop. Just want to know what I'm in for.
thanks

TDI_bubble

Veteran Member
TDI
98 tdi bubble
The airbag light will come on with low voltage indicating the ecu won't blow the bag. Sounds like an alternator issue, I would check the voltage on it running first before buying a new one, especially after it is hot under the hood. At 188K I wouldn't be surprised if it were an ALT.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
The airbag light will come on with low voltage indicating the ecu won't blow the bag. Sounds like an alternator issue, I would check the voltage on it running first before buying a new one, especially after it is hot under the hood. At 188K I wouldn't be surprised if it were an ALT.

Thanks - a friend suggested same thing>with the car running, it was at 8.92V . Positive lead multimeter on the alternator and negative lead multimeter on negative battery post. I'm going to order an alternator tonight...

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Autozone

Most Autozone parts stores are able to test it for you also. If you don't have Autozone, maybe another store in your area is able to check it.

But if it is only putting out 8.5 vdc then you've pretty much got it figured out.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Most Autozone parts stores are able to test it for you also. If you don't have Autozone, maybe another store in your area is able to check it.

But if it is only putting out 8.5 vdc then you've pretty much got it figured out.

Thanks - I actually am in the process of looking up prices/etc and just went on autozone. They have one in stock at my local store. $174.99+$80 core charge. It says it's a bosch reman - decent price. I will probably just get it. Hopefully have my friend help me put it in over the weekend. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...i?counter=1&itemIdentifier=410994_188215_4447_