2002 Jetta died while driving, won't start

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
New to posting, but have used many ideas in forum for working on my 2002 Jetta. Current problem is after driving for a few miles the car died and will not restart. It started a little hard starting for a few days then died and would not start. Towed to dealer ( I know) they said it was high pressure pump. I couldn't afford what they wanted so I started looking into doing it myself. Changed pump, timing belt, water pump, idler pulleys, alt. belt glow plugs, glow plug harness. Some of this was for check eng light on before it died. Car ran great for a couple of days. I did time pump and checked for codes. Every thing fine for 2 days then it felt like it bucked a couple of times then ran ok then died and cannot restart. Looking for answers! Thanks.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Assuming we are talking about an ALH TDI (2002).
There are several potential causes to your problem.
To address these issues we have to start with the basic questions.
When you did the Timing Belt (TB) were the required tools used to set Top Dead Center (TDC) ? Do you have access to Vag-Com ?
The used injection pump that you that you bought can you verifi that the pump is operational? Sad to say but I've seen "dead" pumps sold on E-Bay only to find after the pump was installed to determine that the e-bay pump was a "boat Anchor".

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
It is ALH engine. It's an overhauled pump, I did check timing with Ross tech KII cord, It ran great for 2 days. I did have the tools for setting up the pump and timing belt.

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
The one fault code i have is P1562 - Quantity adjuster N146 Upper limit reached. It was not there when I set up the pump and it was running fine. The pump came from Hans diesel.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
The one fault code i have is P1562 - Quantity adjuster N146 Upper limit reached. It was not there when I set up the pump and it was running fine. The pump came from Hans diesel.
Argh! You got a piece-of-crap pump! That guy is notorious here for selling cheap junk that is often DOA and when it isn't it doesn't last long. I suggest you get another pump from a reputable parts vendor recommended here on the club and return that boat anchor for whatever money you can get back from him, if any.

Dave

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
Is it that bad. I had no idea what i got into. I guess I will send the pump back and get one somewhere else. What are some of the suggested vendors for pumps?

Last edited:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
The first option when one has a failed pump is to send it to Oregon to Diesel Fuel Injection Services (DFIS). They can rebuild the pump correctly. There are very few capable of that.

Hans Diesel, Prothe, Emiata, Rothenbacher - sell CRAP (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts) that are cheap knockoff clones that grenade.

Chances are the pump you bought is worthless, even as a core for a rebuild... See what you can do about getting your oem pump back and see what you can do about getting your money back from Prothe (Good luck... )

A new pump can be reliably sourced from BoraParts, IDParts, WorldImpex, 1stVWParts, Marquette Automotive and other trusted vendors.

You also need to get the chinese timing belt, tensioner, water pump and pulleys off of the engine and get a quality timing belt kit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about you buying crap parst. Look on the bright side, but at least you didn't destroy the engine or get in an accident when the parts failed.

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for the info. Because of the fault code I will be able to get a refund on the pump, and I still have mine. Can DFIS overhaul mine and put in a 11 MM rotor? I would like to start getting a little more power out of this thing. I will contact them and see what they can do.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Good luck with the refund, notify the credit card company immediately that you are attempting to resolve the issue with the vendor. This way, if they refuse or take forever to issue a credit you can have the credit card company on your side.

DFIS can certainly modify your pump or sell you a new head(11MM) but you really don't need to change to an 11MM pump to get "a little more power".

A tune is all you generally need to get a significant increase in power, then comes nozzles(DON"T BY FROM HANS), then comes a bigger turbo, then breathing modifications like a front mount intercooler, exhaust system,....

I am dead serious about re-doing your timing belt job, if you used HANS parts. They will fail and damage your valves.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Again this is so sad. You can not go cheeeep with TDIs.

Again this can be costly and the op should fix what he has then look int mods.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Again this is so sad. You can not go cheeeep with TDIs.

Again this can be costly and the op should fix what he has then look int mods.
Absolutely agree... Fix the car properly then you can look into modifications.

A tune is simply re-programming of the cars ECU. This technique can yield significantly more power and actually improve fuel economy - depending on what your goals are. Read up in the Power Enhancements section to learn about tunes, clutches, turbos and the like.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

jetmechanic

TDI
2002 Jetta
OK, Got my money back from Hans Diesel, sent pump to DFIS got it overhauled, new belts,pulleys ,bolts , from Bora got it back together runs great! Question. The IQ when pump installed is 2.8. I was told it would not need to be adjusted after Mark set it up at DFIS. Should it be closer to 4.0? Any help would be appreciated.