Aftermarket fog lights

chaimv

TDI
06 jetta tdi
Hi guys

I have purchased a set of aftermarket fog lights. That i want to instal in my 06 jetta TDI. I will be installing them to where the OE lights are supposed to go.

So here is the question. I need to run 3 wires into the interior. is there a good place to pull the wiring throughthe firewall and into the interior. or is there perhaps another way to pull them.

thanks

chaimv

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Behind/below the battery box (remove batt) there is a large rubber grommet where many wires penetrate the firewall. You can poke a hole there and feed your wires through.. I assume you are connecting the fogs to the CECM (highline controller)? If you're using a relay in the engine compartment, you only need one wire through the firewall - to your switch.

-cheers!

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
how to get them into your cabin is answered.... what is not is

WHY THREE WIRES???

power and ground to a relay are best left outside the cabin...and fused somewhere in the engine compartment...

you only need one wire through in ANY decent install....

spool time

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 A5 / 2000 A4 TDI
Sootman...highline controller...how do I find out if my car comes equipped with that, other than using a vag-com? What does CECM stand for? Past couple of days I've been using normal search and google search to a lesser extent, searching for "highline controller" but I keep coming up with information about the MFD. Obviously I'm trying to figure out if my car comes with this highline controller, because I'm gathering information for OEM HID and OEM fog installs. Right now I don't have a vag-com. thanks

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Because your car is a 05.5, I bet yours has the highline CECM (central electronics control module).

Without Vag-Com I think you'd have to find the sticker/numbers on the CECM itself and see if it's in the list the Vortex guys put together. Here is a link to a highline swap DIY; a ways down the thread is a list of part#s that are highline and Non highline.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3173886

I don't have highline, so I was forced to install my fogs via several relays and a little planning, soldering, heat-shrinking, etc.. I also installed HIDs successfully without burnt-bulb indicators and no flickering. Cool stuff "CAN" be done to cars without highline; it's just a pain in the a$$ sometimes. :)

-Cheers!

chaimv

TDI
06 jetta tdi
there are 3 wires because i will be using a toggle type switch in the cabin. The fogs have a really simple install. the postive connects directly to the battery and i can connect the ground anywhere and then it goes back to the toggle switch. there are three wires ont eh toggle switch pos, neg and ground. those are the three wires going into the cabin. I have no clue what the cecm/highline controller is.

also i tried getting the battery out but could not. I undid the terminals and tried pulling it up using the handles with no luck. any recomendations.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sure, there is one hold-down bolt/bracket on the left side of the battery *if you're standing at front of car looking at battery*

Take that loose, and the battery will come out. Then it's a pain to get the sides of the battery box apart, as it has clips (2 on each side) that hold it to the base.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
chaimv said:
there are 3 wires because i will be using a toggle type switch in the cabin. The fogs have a really simple install. the postive connects directly to the battery and i can connect the ground anywhere and then it goes back to the toggle switch. there are three wires ont eh toggle switch pos, neg and ground. those are the three wires going into the cabin. I have no clue what the cecm/highline controller is.

also i tried getting the battery out but could not. I undid the terminals and tried pulling it up using the handles with no luck. any recomendations.
chaimv - if you could post pictures of your installed toggle switch, I'd really appreciate it. I've always been interested in installing nice big hella driving lights on the car, but most kits I've seen require a toggle switch, and I didn't know how I was going to install that cleanly. Thanks in advance.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The cleanest way to install foglights, on a MK5, is to use a Eurpeon light switch to trigger a solid state relay. If you have a Highline lighting controller, you can program your fogs to com on as Daytime Running Lights. Look in the DIY thread. There are several good threads about installing fogs........

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
That simple install is a bad idea...really
You absolutely want to put a relay in there..... and fuse everything properly!
No need to run line currents through your car...nor is it good for the switch...

It's your car, man, but I really suggest keeping the heavy currents outside the cabin...

I can explain what to do, if you like...

As for spool, do you have a full-function MFD?

By the way, I did a "poor-man's" rear fog for myself....I am sure that you can do it with ANY controller...

chaimv

TDI
06 jetta tdi
Thanks everyone.

Just finished the install. I wired it directly to the battery with an inline 15A fuse that came with the kit. I have a toggle type switch in the cabin.

Out of curisosity how would you run it with a relay???

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hehe.. mspaint sux...

The use of a relay is good because your foglights probably use 110 watts combined, which is a lot to ask for a little toggle switch. The relay is a remotely operated switch that can handle high amp/watts. Pins 85/86 are the electromagnet that is turned on/off by the toggle switch. The electomagnet pulls pin 30 in contact with pin 87, thus supplying power to the fog lights. ;)

Last edited:

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
soot posted a nice pic, i hope he doesn't mind i borrowed it...

- power (fused to whatever the foglights need, say 30A) taken off of a spare terminal at the power supply rail in front of the battery, and supplied to the common contact (terminal 30 on a std. automotive relay), then jumpered to either side of the relay coil (terminals 85 and 86),

- normally open side of relay (terminal 87) to foglights

- ground fogs in engine bay at ground lug (6 or so points in engine bay)

- fuse at 1 amp the unused coil terminal (85 or 86), and run that lead through the firewall into the cabin to switch

- ground switch in cabin at suitable location

this way, the wire into the cabin is only at an amp or two, and can be even a #18 gauge

also, the power comes in (as does it your way), and no suitable power source is needed in the cabin

the other way would be if you had a euroswitch, run a lead from it to the relay coil, and ground the other side of it...

Last edited:

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hehe... don't ya just love it when 2 people are editing their posts at the same time! :D
I submitted the post, saw you mentioned fuses and was like -duh, so edited the orig pic.. hehe

sheesh, your way uses less wire... I"ll fix the pic..

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
Some engineers call it the "most elegant" solution to a problem

I like to think of it as thrifty :)

Last edited:

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Soot. Now I have image hosting, and I can do a write up or two,

like my "poor man rear fog"...

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, mine came with the highline CCM . I have OEM fogs, and a rear fog in the stock taillights running through it.

...the number is readable from VAG, and I believe it is also on the controller somewhere....

look here for some more info...if you read down, it posts all known CCM's and what "line" they are..

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2389272&page=1

and here is an install referencing the above link..

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2213718&postid=25972838

When I did my fogs, I had a hard time getting the correct factory harness, so I spent some time looking and got the correct terminal ends and made my own...kufatec makes them, but they are hard to find in the states...

I am not 100%, but if your build has 2 zone climate and full MFD, you probably have the highline controller. Don't quote me, I don't want to see you let down.

Last edited: