passat tdi 1.9 b5.5 2001 turbo problem

alicavi

TDI
Passat Se TDi 1.9 awx
Hi guy's I have enjoyed many miles of motoring in my passat tdi. But was forced to sell it as it failed mot test because of rust. So I thought I would treat myself I bought a 2001 b5.5 tdi estate se engine code awx. For first couple of days it ran with no problem then I started to notice a noise when I was changing gear coming from turbo. I have made a video of it to see if anyone can help. The car seams to drive fine with full power and doss not go into limp mode. The codes that came out with were p1557 turbo over boosting i thought maybe vains were sticking but am not sure if turbo is on way out here's the video of engine http://youtu.be/mjYcYx2pLmY

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Move the vnt lever, it goes towards the actuator, just get a spanner or something on it and push it towards the actuator, see if it actually moves or if it makes a crunchy sound.

Clogged up vnt mechanism is really common, most common cause of that over boost code.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you move it manually though you'll get a feel if it's crunchy or smooth as it should be, it doesn't have to be seized up to cause issues, just a bit sticky.

alicavi

TDI
Passat Se TDi 1.9 awx
turbo noise

The acutater seems to be moving fine no crunching a bit springy. I managed to get my hands on a turbo of a car that had been scraped because of accident damage to rear so if it's that I can sort it lol living up here in inverness it's bloody raining or snowing lol.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tell me about it, I'm about a 100 miles down but the weather is still mank lol. And now my rear brakes have decided to play up, thanks car :D

alicavi

TDI
Passat Se TDi 1.9 awx
Had good old strip down today cleaning and getting rid of crud all intercooler pipes of no leaks turbo feels normal managed to get my hands into shaft to check bearing on turbo spindle and no abnormal movement cleaned up with some clutch and brake cleaner put it back together. acutater now moving as normal returns like it should but still have the noise. Just a thought as I was standing at back of car when putting tools away noise is coming from exhaust like a blocked cat maybe ?