700 mile club

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just finished my last tank and got 709 miles and filled up with 15.3 gallons. Averaged 46.3 mpg. Fuel warning went off at 656 and I drove 5 miles or so past the 0 miles left to get to my BP station. I have just under 7,000 miles on it so far. Fuel used was BioWillie B20 for this trip. Probably would have been a little better with Dino diesel. No mods or changes from stock at all.

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Most I've ever got in the tank was 13.9 on 625 mile. In a couple months I think I can hit the 700. It's just rolled 4200! I've got to call for the 5K checkup.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
DavidG- use the full 15.3 gallons.

My best is 735mpt and 15.25 gallons=for a 48.6mpg.

There is at least a 15.5 gallon tank. I am going to carry a gallon of B100 and run it out and then go fill it and see what I can fill it to.

700 mile club member and founder(A5) For 4 tanks in a row now.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I carried two gallons with me just in case. I was just waitng for it to stumble to pull over and fuel. I made it to the BP station. I wouldn't do this very often though. Maybe again at 20,000 to test mpg again. I got 41.3 the first time at 1500 or so miles. 46.7 this time at 6700 miles.

This isn't a really good way to drive normally. Too slow and must drive with little traffic to avoid congestion with long stretches of road. This usually means at night for me. If you sacrifice 3 mpg or so you can drive with everyone else and still get 600 mpt or better. ELF 0W30 might help here. Mach1 is using it and beat me by 2 mpg. Change to the new oil and drive with everyone else without the penalty!

I tracked my speed with my mapping software and gps and noticed a 3 mph difference at 30 mph (indicated), 4 mph difference at 60 mph and 5 mph difference at 80 mph. As I thought I was cruising at 62 I was really doing 58!

Fuel early!

Mach1

TDI
Dave, most excellent feedback. You must have been close to running out. I am still looking for a good station to fill up, I guess I missed the last couple of tanks, as I haven't been able to get back up to my good mileage. I changed stations, however I am going back to the good station and try again.

Dave, you have something there on the losing a couple mpg by slowing down, just run it out.

Those speedo's are not even close, too optomistic for me.

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Mach1 said:
Dave, most excellent feedback. You must have been close to running out. I am still looking for a good station to fill up, I guess I missed the last couple of tanks, as I haven't been able to get back up to my good mileage. I changed stations, however I am going back to the good station and try again.

Dave, you have something there on the losing a couple mpg by slowing down, just run it out.

Those speedo's are not even close, too optomistic for me.
I've been driving fairly slow. I guess I need to grow some kahunas:D and let the tank get lower.
I do like the idea of keeping a gallon in the trunk just in case. I think I'll try that so I can be with you "BIG BOYS".

Mach1, you didn't mention that you love your car. Your slipping:D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Running it out of fuel probably isn't good for it on a regular basis. I will only try this occasionally for tests. I wouldn't carry a gallon around usually either. Nice to have you with us DavidG!

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Lightflyer1, reflex silver was my first choice. But I didn't want to wait for an order.
Nothing wrong with package 1. I wanted the MFA. Package 2 is so much nicer:D I wish I had some on the things Mach1 has. The 05.5 had a couple of thing standard that our '06s don't have.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We compared cars the other day. His is very nice. That was a joke! Silver down here in Texas is one of the better colors for heat reflection. Couldn't imagine having a dark color here.

Mach1

TDI
David got shorted on his P2(06). He didn't get the Self diming mirror nor the heated seats(I think). I have an ACTIVE satellite radio(it actually works now). Dave, I will take your wheels though, those are SWEET!!!!

Lightflyer cant get the fuel economy I get...

Oh did I mention another 700MPT, Is that 5 in a row now? (I have to go over to our 700mpt thread and update it.

LightF, We going to do those CCv Mods, My tractor S, didnt have the little ones.

DavidG, ya get some, run that thing up to 650mpt, the mif down to 30miles, and see what it will really do!!!

I must admit that lightF ran his further down then I have, Of course if I do that then I will get 800MPT out of it, then I would have to move up a notch and leave you guys behind. I like present company, so I wont do that.

Have I mentioned lately, This is a kick tail car....

Mach1

TDI
Fifth straight tank of 700MPT+..

735Miles---15.1gallons==48.5MPG...

On B30, I put a bit too much in this tank, mileage suffered...

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Mach1 said:
David got shorted on his P2(06). He didn't get the Self diming mirror nor the heated seats(I think). I have an ACTIVE satellite radio(it actually works now).
Nope I've got the heated seats. In the '06 P2 they don't have the rain sensor or automatic headlights.
I've got XM also. My free trial just ran out and I'm having a bi*ch of a time getting it to activate.

Mach1 said:
DavidG, ya get some, run that thing up to 650mpt, the mif down to 30miles, and see what it will really do!!!
I've run my down past 30 before I've fill up.
I do the trickle method when filling, so I'm all the way up the filler neck into the screw.
Maybe the MFI is reporting wrong. I did fix the MPG on it, it now reads ~.7.-8 MPGs low from pen and paper ( Palm Pilot :D who need paper)
Last nights commute home was very bad and hour of stop and go. Even on the hi-way. I barely got 40 MPG. People up here panic when it snowy and icy.

Deansel

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG, pkg1, Blue Graphite
Lightflyer1 said:
We get it about every five years or so. Luckily most people stay home.
I have had to plow snow only once a year for the last three years here. When I was growing up, we had snow drifts as tall as houses from November through March. Seems as though the warmer climate is marching northward.

Mach1

TDI
All right who's in on a 700MPT..Lightflyer, davidG(if he would run it out far enough)..RobTX R U IN?

Lets run them tanks out further, lets get some more break in miles..

We need more A5's in here or else the A4 guys will come a knockin..

Littledevildee, How about you?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well I'm getting 0 mpg right now as all four tires were slit this morning. Have to call agent and find out what to replace them with before I get 700 again. It takes me almost a month to burn a tank when driving that way.

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Mach1 said:
All right who's in on a 700MPT..Lightflyer, davidG(if he would run it out far enough)..RobTX R U IN?

Lets run them tanks out further, lets get some more break in miles..

We need more A5's in here or else the A4 guys will come a knockin..

Littledevildee, How about you?
Tomorrow I'll be in;) Unless something catastrophic happens. I'm at 630 with the MFA showing 110 to go:D

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
All you boys with your fancy toys.... No MFA on my package 0. If I get into the 700 club, it'll be a real leap of faith, as that needle will be sitting on E for quite a while.

I think I'll grab a little 1 gallon can and put it in the trunk on my next tank up - better do it before summer comes.

P.S. - Mach - I've never had so much fun changing oil! You guys have got to see this boy's shop... Like FAO Schwartz for men! BTW, I bought an Oil Boy (Pela) on Friday, and used it to change out the oil in the 2-cyl Volvo diesel over the weekend. Worked like a champ! Only problem is that now the oil is too clean to read the dipstick well.

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
I bought a little insurance. I put 1/2 gallon of Biodiesel with treated with Stanadyne in the trunk. I figure if I start to sputter, I can throw that in and get to a filling station.
I'm going to run some Bio as an additive until temperatures get a little warmer up here, then maybe more.

Reggie

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 White Jetta 5spd
The only way I could get to 700 mile in a tank would be if the car was on the end of a tow boom. I'm lucky to get 40!

01tj

Veteran Member
TDI
not yet
Filled up @ 500 mi on our first tank and it took 13.1 gallons so I a sure we could have made it to almost 600 mi. This is with aggressive break-in driving. I have be riding the gears out to about 3200-3800 rpm on every shift and full throttle accel. I think that we should be able to come close to 700 once the engine is broken in.

Mach1

TDI
Rob, we got to do it again, had a good time, Like the shop--eH?

I love it and have I told you lately..

I love this CAR!!!???(&%$#$%

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
I am stuck with tip so here we go, using tip 85% HWY 15% CITY 637miles 15.1gallons 42.3MPG. I get about 39MPG when my wife drives pure automatic. Jetta 05 Spice Red Wagon 29,000 miles with no mods yet.

B20 from Topia Canada

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
I'm finally in, I did it to night on my way home from work, 709.3 on the trip Odo. Sorry about the picture it was taken with my phone. I ended pumping 13.992 gallon, I put 1/2 gallon of biodiesel. So still only 14.492 gallons. If you can't read the Odo mileage, it is 4854. ~48.6 MPG best tank ever.
The MPG shown here are the trip mileage. I tried to blow some soot out when I had the station in sight.

Last edited: