Resurrection - 2002 Jetta TDI

Watchdawg

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hey all, just joined the forum, although I have been creeping a while. I just picked up an insurance writeoff 2002 TDI that wasn't hit too bad. Air bags and light front end damage. I'll put it together over the next couple weeks.
Thanks to all for the great posts and advise I've been leaching the last couple weeks.

I'll throw up a couple pics when I figure it out.

Watchdawg

Watchdawg

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=107356&id=1085809409&l=dd79cbef3a

The car is almost done. Airbags, airbag module, front fenders, hood, front bumper, grill, rad support all replace from a 2003 1.8T. While everything was apart I repaired a couple oil leaks, replaced all the fluids and filters. I got a hold of the old owner and lucked out with complete service records since the car has 100,000 km. The suspension is brand new as is the windshield, back window, front seats and battery. TB had 30,000km on it. Nice to know.
The lights on the front are lightforce striker 170's. I'm driving in thick bush with lots of moose and deer so they will come in handy. I used a 3M headlight restoration kit on the headlights and it worked great. Body integrity and safety inspections and it's good to go.

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Welcome, keep us up to date, looks like you have a nice ride shaping up.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
Watchdog/Jeremy: Checked out the pics. That's great, not to veer the post off topic but what is the part no. of the 3M kit you used. I've been using red, blue and white scotch brite and it works pretty well with a plastic polish with a power buffer but id like to see if the 3M kit works better. It takes me an hour or so per headlight to get them clear again. I've done mine 3 times now (185,000 miles).

737tdi

Watchdawg

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The 3M kit part # is 39008. It came with everything including several replacement sanding pads and drill attachment. I spent about 20-25 minutes per headlight and they are comparable to new ones. The kit was $29.99CDN at Canadian Tire. Money well spent.

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Watchdawg, good luck with your new baby.

737tdi

uncleandy82

TDI
2001 Golf 4 tdi
Looks like a brilliant little project, way to go watchdawg!

Are you planning to keep it stock or do you have any work planned for it?

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat TDi, 13 Passat TDi SEL
if you want your headlight restore to stay a while there is a new product (I own a body shop the is how I got access to it) that reapplies the protection coat over the headlight after you have restored it. I still have not had anyone come back because it failed stuff is amazing!!

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
copbait: A little more info. please. Product no., manufacturer??? Thanks.

737tdi

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat TDi, 13 Passat TDi SEL
product I get is from Keystone Automotive it is a professial use only product but I am sure your local body shop will buy it for you. Kit is about 80 list, about 50 w/ app discout. I always remove the headlights, then you sand all the protective coating off you headlight w/ 600 then 1500 (this is the ring you see as you sand and polish your headlight, this is what keeps it clear and not yellowed which is the reason they yellow faster after you sand and polish them) Then you spray a UV (sun light) catylized liquid on set it in the direct sunlight for 5-10 min and you have nearly new looking headlights.

tdi03jetta

TDI
03 jetta tdi
Watchdowg How did you get in contact with old owner. I just my self two weeks ago bought a 2003 jetta tdi 5sp 133K miles was a salvage tittle. Would like to find the old owner only service at the dealer was a glow pugs service at 39,000 in 05. I have every thing done just need to paint and get the air bag control M. Thanks