Inexpensive Code Reader for GM Products?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires, and the fuel and air filters in my wife's Buick this weekend and after two hours of driving the CEL illuminated. Car runs great though. I double checked and everything I unplugged and it appears to be reconnected. I even checked the fuel cap for tightness. I have a few questions:

I take it my VAG-COM will not work on an American car, correct?

Do these CELs reset themselves if the problem corrects itself, or does the ECU have to be reset with a code reader?

What is a decent, but inexpensive, code reader (if one exists) I can buy at the auto parts jobber to troubleshoot this?

This is a bummer because the registration is due to be renewed next month and the car has to pass an OBD II test before the DMV will renew the registration.

Thanks.

--Nate

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Try this: http://obddiagnostics.com/

It works on your laptop, has a very similar cable to Vag-Com and does a lot of the same functions. (I don't think it accesses airbags and etc. though) It's like $70.

Hey aja, nice signture; I'm going to have o find some other peoples comments and put them in my signature like that...wait a minute...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys, this gives me something to go on. I found I have plenty of time, the registration expires at the end of April, so I can mail order a scanner.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Joe_Meehan said:
Many auto parts stores will read and rest the codes for you.
That's what I did. I borrowed a reader from Advance Auto Parts. Front O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction. I verified no resistance on it (burned out), so I replaced the O2 sensor, and first got the wrong one (the catalog was wrong), so if you have a 2001 Buick, be forwarned. 1997 - 2000 AND 2002 models take a Bosch 13474 (the one Pep Boys sold me for my 2001) and 2001 - 2005 models take a Bosch 13193. This means 2002 takes either or, depending on the connector. A parts person at NAPA figured all of this out and his catalog was wrong as well, but the computer had the correct information. The connector on the 2001 did not mate up on the first O2 sensor I bought, but did if I rotated it 180 degrees, but would not lock and the terminals were connected wrong with it rotated and the CEL came right back on. I now have the correct O2 sensor installed, but the CEL is still on, I have to go get the code cleared again. I hope the wrong first sensor did not screw up the ECU.

Its odd, but the spark plugs for 2001 are for that year only, but the engine is the same 3.1 liter for all the years mentioned above, I believe. Very odd.

--Nate

Last edited: