www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 30th, 2020, 09:11   #1
avcentraltias

Default Swapped 1z AFN Injector Pump.. now it wont start

Hey everybody, Im just about to get my 1z powered T4 van back on the road but after fitting an AFN cylinder head to the 1z block im experiencing a few problems.

Today, I got the AFN head fitted to the 1z block with the AFN injectors. I got the timing set up nicely and the engine fired very quickly after bleeding the fuel.... but I was getting shed loads of white smoke from the exhaust, which was very strongly diesel smelling. Just for clarity, it wasnt steam as I havent got the coolant system back together yet.

So, i havent got the correct tools for advancing and the retarding the IP so i just fiddled with the pump position to see if i could make the white smoke go away. No matter what I did it didnt get any better..... but then I remembered I had a few issues running on Vegoil last year which may have damaged this IP so I decided to swap the 1z pump for the pump that I got off the AFN engine I took the head off.

Right now, ive got the 1z block, ecu and turbo fitted with the AFN head, injectors and injector pump.... but now I cant get any fuel to come from the tank to the injector pump. There is definitely fuel in the tank, as I just put an extra 20 litres in it, and I can hear the solenoid "click" when I turn the key. Is there a lift pump on it somewhere that I havent seen? The van used to be a 1.9 NA (1x?) which i didnt think had lift pumps but please correct me.

Is there something in the electronics thats preventing it from pumping? All the connections for the AFN pump fitted fine. The 1z ECU has the immobiliser disabled... what else is there?

Please help... id love to get this thing running again

Last edited by avcentraltias; June 30th, 2020 at 09:15.
avcentraltias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:39   #2
KLXD
Veteran Member

If the pump's been sitting it may have trouble priming. Have you tried using a vacuum to prime it?

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 10:51   #3
avcentraltias

The vans been standing for 6 months with very little fuel in it. Which pump do think is struggling to prime? The IP or the lift pump?

How do I use a vacuum pump to prime it? Ive got a little 12v fuel pump here which i was going to try tomorrow morning....
Old June 30th, 2020, 11:23   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Either used compressed air to pressurize the return line this pushing fuel from the tank, or a simple hand held pump. Like 10 bucks at harbor frieght
I prefer the latter of the 2.
The injectors you installed. We have they been sitting with no fuel in them for any length of time? You need to keep the tips submerged if you keep them out of the engine for any length of time past a day
Seeing as you have timing marks correct (right?) And it did start but you have bad unburnt diesel white smoke, I would suspect the I hector's you installed. I would have them pop tested.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 13:02   #5
avcentraltias

very interesting reading...... thankyou, I didnt know any of that.....

ive just managed to get the IP primed with the 12v aux pump I have here. now the clear return line has fluid in it and there appears to be fuel spraying through the injector union im bleeding from, although there is still a small pocket of air at the top of the clear pipe where it comes out of the IP.

The injectors have been here, dry for the last three months and god know how long they were standing in the scrap yard. I swear its almost running, though. Will do as Mongler says and get the injectors check over tomorrow.... cheers guys.....
Old June 30th, 2020, 13:54   #6
KLXD
Veteran Member

The vacuum would have been applied to the pump return line but you seem to have fuel to the pump now. Some air in the return line wouldn't be a problem but maybe you still have air in the pump.

White smoke can indicate late timing but in your first post you said you tried advancing. Maybe not enough? To late now of course.

Air in the injector pipes can cause late timing since it compresses and the injector opens late or not at all. Maybe bleed the other injectors too.

I haven't had problems with dry injectors. After all, they sit dry in an engine for who knows how long after a hot shut down with no problems.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 20:09   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member

If timing marks are correct, no matter how far off the graph timing is, it will not smoke like that. Not on a 1z.
Those nozzles you put in are toast. Possible that you can revive them. If they have been sitting in a engine that was not opened it's fine. If they have been sitting dry on a shelf? Yea no good. They are very touchy. I would try running pure liquid molly diesel purge though it. See if you can clear them up. If it's still bad, well you probably need to have them rebuilt or something. Dont think for a second you can just take them apart willy nilly. You have to be extremely clean and exact how you do it if you do. Only an ultrasonic cleaner and quality solvents will clean those parts too. No scrubby scrubby ok!
Old July 1st, 2020, 05:09   #8
avcentraltias

OK, apparently the filter was stopping it from bleeding. I just disconnected the return line on the union, cranked it over a few times and it fired up!

Now its starts really easily from cold, the white smoke is gone.... but I do get a load of blue smoke when I rev it up....

Are you still thinking the injectors need looking at? Blue smoke is burning oil, isnt it?

Last edited by avcentraltias; July 1st, 2020 at 05:12.
Old July 1st, 2020, 07:18   #9
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Oh good. I would still run a full flush on the injectors with liquid molly diesel purge, they are probably fine if they started like that. Maybe a little gummy from sitting though.
Blue smoke is oil. Check to see how much of any oil is sitting in the bottom on the intercooler. Does it clear up when warmed up?
Old July 1st, 2020, 07:58   #10
avcentraltias

Scratch that... its not blue smoke, its still white smoke, and it still stinks of diesel...
Just whipped the injectors out and got them to a diesel man. He says one is OK but the other three are spraying a thick jet from two or three holes in the nozzle and a thin jet from the remaining holes. Hes rebuilding them now and hopefully ill have them back on Saturday morning.
Out of interest, as these AFN injectors that came of a b5 Audi A4, have bigger nozzles than the injectors from my 1z does the 1z ECU have to be altered to compensate for the bigger nozzles, or is it clever enough to sort itself out?
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:37   #11
Mongler98
Veteran Member

You dont have to get a tune or anything for such a small bump. Yea its ideal and you will get better results but it's not nessasary. If you up the boost, yes, you will need to but as is, should be fine. If you want to spend the money on it, you will be happy with the results but as is it will run fine with no issues.
Be warned that those nozzles are a 2 stage pop test and tune. Just simply pop testing them normally wont yield best results but clearly, just rebuilding them properly is going to iron out any running issues. Not everyone is set up to calibrate these nozzles. Worth asking. It should be fine though. As long as things are just a matter of cleaning and rebuilding, should be fine. It's a grey area topic on this here. Some have had perfectly operating nozzles with a diy approach and others not so much.

I'm getting ahead of myself here. Just run them as is once rebuilt and see how it works. Probably will be just fine.
Old July 1st, 2020, 11:29   #12
avcentraltias

Well lets see what happens on Saturday then....

I still have an funny feeling KLXD is right about the late timing but ill cross that bridge on Saturday. Will be interesting to run it with rebuilt injectors, and the intercooler and radiator plumbed in..... currently they aren't, so its only getting run for a a minute or so at the moment before I turn it off.....

Saturday, we shall all know more. Thanks for all your help.
Old July 1st, 2020, 11:55   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Who did you send the injectors to?
Old July 1st, 2020, 15:04   #14
avcentraltias

Bob Beck Fuel Injection in Leamington Spa...... never heard a bad word about the guy in 20 years or so.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 10:45   #15
BigAndy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99 A3

Are you running WVO currently and that's what was left in your tank/lines/filter?