NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
In 2010 bmw recalled 130000 of their cars due to their HPFP failure. Why? Because CHRIS CUOMO (@ChrisCuomo) , CHRIS VLASTO, JAMES HILL (@jameshillABC) and LAUREN PEARLE Oct. 26, 2010 of ABC news Nightline did a storhy on it. How did this happen? Someone walked up to Chris on the street and asked him to do an investigation...and it forced BMW's hand.

Here's link to it: http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/bmw-admits-fuel-pump-flaw-turbo-cars/story?id=11968495

Note, same issue, no deaths reported. NHSTA was investigating but did not make them do a recall...ABC forced their hand. Are are BMW owners more important than VW owners? Can anyone send an email to Chris Cuomo??
So send an e-mail to all of them and get the ball rolling ;)

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I think the best you can expect from VW is to repair/replace HPFP systems if it fails. There will be no buyback or recall. The rate of failure is very low(<1%). Next best would be for VW to extend warranty to 120K miles (but that would exclude owners with higher mileage).

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Or we can do grass roots....create a flyer, keep a supply handy in your car, and whenever you see a TDI...put it on the windsheild. Could be as simple as:

As a fellow VW TDI Owner I want you to be aware of a possible problem with 2009 to 2011 VW TDI Jetta sedans and wagons and their high pressure fuel pump. Google HPFP failure and read up and be prepared in case it happens to you.
You could just print warning flyers and attach them to the inside of your back side windows with the warnings about HPFP and point them to this thread for more info.

It will carry more cred if it has happened to you. Another option is for concerned TDI owners to drive through VW dealer lots on Saturdays during peak customer traffic times with those notices on your windows.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
Blackheart: > Bad publicity makes NOT fixing it more expensive than fixing it. I believe the bad publicity will be growing ...
Unless something startling comes out of NHTSA, expect no change in the level of publicity.
Of course, you're not trying to alert others to the problem, as you have no dog in the fight, unless you have a car in question that you haven't noted in your signature. So, I agree...people like you, without a reason to get this story out, certainly don't see any reason for the story to surface. For those of us that could be impacted, it's up to us, and some of us find reason to believe we will be heard at some point.

I've been talking to Michael Karesh at TrueDelta.com. He's given me some good advice, and all of us with these cars should be waving flags and making noise about it. Or, it will be as Second Turbo says...no change.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
Of course, you're not trying to alert others to the problem, as you have no dog in the fight, unless you have a car in question that you haven't noted in your signature. So, I agree...people like you, without a reason to get this story out, certainly don't see any reason for the story to surface. For those of us that could be impacted, it's up to us, and some of us find reason to believe we will be heard at some point.
I've been talking to Michael Karesh at TrueDelta.com. He's given me some good advice, and all of us with these cars should be waving flags and making noise about it. Or, it will be as Second Turbo says...no change.
What, exactly, constitutes having a dog in the fight, as I've seen multiple times in this thread? I, for one, would buy a Sportwagen so fast it would make your head spin, were it not for my serious concerns that after the HPFP locks up, my wife or kids might lose three toes to frostbite before they're rescued. And then to find a potential no-warranty coverage as icing on the cake? My dog in the fight is that I am putting a huge amount of fuel into my dead-reliable E-350 van while I continue to look for a decent, reliable wagon to replace it for 90% of my driving. My dog in the fight is not buying a car that would otherwise perfectly fit my needs, while waiting for the next generation (2013? 2014?), only to find that VW no longer wants to sell a station wagon in the USA like Volvo, Subaru, Audi, Ford, and others. Or that TDIs are no longer worth the trouble in the US to Volkswagen.
If I end up spending $38,000 on a BMW 3-series wagon because it is the only other wagon in the United States with a manual transmission, when all I really wanted/needed was a $26,000 TDI wagon, then I consider myself as having a dog in the fight. Sorry for the rant, but I don't think that the only people with a dog in the fight are those who own the subject TDI models. I never owned an Oldsmobile diesel in the 1980's, but it has affected the diesel car market in the United States irrevocably. If Volkswagen cements the diesel image as ticking time bomb, I think every person who owns or would potentially own a diesel car in the future has a dog in the fight.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
... If Volkswagen cements the diesel image as ticking time bomb, I think every person who owns or would potentially own a diesel car in the future has a dog in the fight.

Well 'said' or well written! :) I concur.

nyrussell

TDI
2009 TDI Loyal; 3208 Cat Marine and 8KW Onan
Last edited:

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
What, exactly, constitutes having a dog in the fight....
I was addressing an individual, that, to my knowledge, has no TDI, nor does this individual wish to have one.

If you are THAT gung-ho about wanting a TDI, but, won't buy one until this HPFP issue is addressed to your satisfaction, then, you can be said to be an interested party, i.e., "have a dog in the fight". I certainly wouldn't want you to feel left out if you want to be included! ;)

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
What, exactly, constitutes having a dog in the fight, as I've seen multiple times in this thread? I, for one, would buy a Sportwagen so fast it would make your head spin, were it not for my serious concerns that after the HPFP locks up, my wife or kids might lose three toes to frostbite before they're rescued. And then to find a potential no-warranty coverage as icing on the cake? My dog in the fight is that I am putting a huge amount of fuel into my dead-reliable E-350 van while I continue to look for a decent, reliable wagon to replace it for 90% of my driving. My dog in the fight is not buying a car that would otherwise perfectly fit my needs, while waiting for the next generation (2013? 2014?), only to find that VW no longer wants to sell a station wagon in the USA like Volvo, Subaru, Audi, Ford, and others. Or that TDIs are no longer worth the trouble in the US to Volkswagen.
If I end up spending $38,000 on a BMW 3-series wagon because it is the only other wagon in the United States with a manual transmission, when all I really wanted/needed was a $26,000 TDI wagon, then I consider myself as having a dog in the fight. Sorry for the rant, but I don't think that the only people with a dog in the fight are those who own the subject TDI models. I never owned an Oldsmobile diesel in the 1980's, but it has affected the diesel car market in the United States irrevocably. If Volkswagen cements the diesel image as ticking time bomb, I think every person who owns or would potentially own a diesel car in the future has a dog in the fight.
Spot on! My sentiments exactly, and with VW's track record on other issues, not a chance this gets fixed till a redesign. They fixed the 2.0 cam follower issue with a redesign after 2 years on the market. So, they know how to fix a similar issue. Just no love for the diesel, or they really think it is not an issue? Which it truly is not, till it happens to you!

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Spot on! My sentiments exactly, and with VW's track record on other issues, not a chance this gets fixed till a redesign. They fixed the 2.0 cam follower issue with a redesign after 2 years on the market. So, they know how to fix a similar issue. Just no love for the diesel, or they really think it is not an issue? Which it truly is not, till it happens to you!
The Passat was their redesign. Different pump / lower pressure, water to air intercooler, and Urea. The Passat has more profit margin to absorb this, while the Golf/Jetta don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
The Passat was their redesign. Different pump / lower pressure, water to air intercooler, and Urea. The Passat has more profit margin to absorb this, while the Golf/Jetta don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So the Passat doesn't blow up?

Sent from my homebuilt screaming mofo i7 desktop PC using a keyboard :D

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
So the Passat doesn't blow up?

Sent from my homebuilt screaming mofo i7 desktop PC using a keyboard :D
If you missfuel them they go as well. And I think there was one that just went. I am starting to think the solution is an oil bath on the pump cam, just as in the 2.0 motor. I think they added lobes on the cam to reduce the stress on the redesign of the 2.0 motor. (gas)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The trick is that most markets that have crap fuel also have lower emissions standards, meaning they can use older or lower pressure designs.

So, a crankcase oil lubricated HPFP would pretty much just be for North America. And, there's nothing off the shelf that's both high enough pressure and small enough for a TDI (the ones that are high enough pressure are all designed for semi trucks). Plus, it'll be a lot more expensive, which VW won't want to do for obvious reasons.

Sent from a screaming (but not as screaming as a desktop) i7 laptop using a 2880x1800 screen and a (just shy of 28 year old) 122-key terminal keyboard adapted to USB :p

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There was a Passat HPFP failure reported here recently.

Sent from my Dell Latitude D610 laptop, powered by a not-so-screaming Intel single core Centrino CPU, 256 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 60 GB HDD, running Windows XP SP3, and full VCDS by Ross Tech (licensed).;)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There was a Passat HPFP failure reported here recently.
IIRC that one had only 5000 mi on it. I wouldn't expect the design changes made to the Passat's fuel system to reduce the risk to zero; you can still have the occasional off-spec manufactured components. At this point, the Passat HPFP doesn't seem to blow up anywhere near as frequently as the Golf/Jetta HPFP's do. If the design changes took away the systemic issue and left behind only the actual failures from out-of-tolerance manufactured parts, which are likely to fail very early under warranty, that's good enough for me.

If the Passat HPFP failure reports start building in the next 6 months then of course, all bets are off.

Lower operating pressure is always A Good Thing from the pump's point of view - doesn't matter what kind of pump you are talking about, lower pressure means less stress on everything.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
I believe what is news worthy is the recent increase in interest and sales of diesels.

The news would be the potential downsides of diesel ownership vs traditional gas powered or hybrid vehicles. If you get bad fuel your vehicle is essentially totaled when facing a 8000-10000 dollar repair bill.

I expect to see a spike in HPFP failures along the areas affected by Sandy due to water in the fuel. Will VW pay for these failures?

Disclaimer: I used to work as a tech for a major media corp.
I agree..........when your on a forum like this one and everything gets blown out of proportion it's to easy to forget that there or tens of thousands of TDI VW CR cars out there running just fine. So far mine is one of them.

IN the case of my dealer the few they have had were ALL fixed without any questions asked by VW under warranty. They don't even check the fuel.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
I agree..........when your on a forum like this one and everything gets blown out of proportion it's to easy to forget that there or tens of thousands of TDI VW CR cars out there running just fine. So far mine is one of them.

IN the case of my dealer the few they have had were ALL fixed without any questions asked by VW under warranty. They don't even check the fuel.
I see you have a #TDI# 2010 candy white...just like mine. I hope you don't go through what I did when my HPFP failed. Good luck.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Sent from my Dell Latitude D610 laptop, powered by a not-so-screaming Intel single core Centrino CPU, 256 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 60 GB HDD, running Windows XP SP3, and full VCDS by Ross Tech (licensed).;)
You guys kill me.:D

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Nobody knows what the true rate of failure is, other than VW, and they ain't talking. Even their info might be considered as slightly suspect since its validity is based on dealer diagnosis of what's wrong. It's not cause for concern unless it happens to you, right?

-------------
Sent from my 24" Imac C2D, sitting next to my handbuilt i7 3.8/16gig/BDR/4TB running at 4.8 with a water cooler.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Reason there isn't any accidents... Is because the steering system is electric and when it fails it's easy to steer still

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Reason there isn't any accidents... Is because the steering system is electric and when it fails it's easy to steer still

I believe on the KESSY models, the steering wheel locks when the engine shuts off.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just no love for the diesel, or they really think it is not an issue? Which it truly is not, till it happens to you!
To VW, it is probably not an issue since the failure numbers are so low. They may decide at some point to only cover those failures that happen whil eunder the drive train warranty. I hope that they determine it is in the best interest of repeat sales, to cover these failures at least up through 120,000 miles or more.

Of course the problem with looking at repaet sales on this site is almost meaningless. It seems the majority of the bloggers here will keep their diesels until you pull the keys from their cold dead hands.

Post 4211 - Well said Squeegee Boy!

Last edited:

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
To VW, it is probably not an issue since the failure numbers are so low. They may decide at some point to only cover those failures that happen whil eunder the drive train warranty. I hope that they determine it is in the best interest of repeat sales, to cover these failures at least up through 120,000 miles or more.

Of course the problem with looking at repaet sales on this site is almost meaningless. It seems the majority of the bloggers here will keep their diesels until you pull the keys from their cold dead hands.

Honda did something similar with the transmissions of the automatic Accord V-6 in early 2002. There was a design defect in the reverse gear, so they sent a letter out to all owners saying the transmission was covered to 100K miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Honda did something similar with the transmissions of the automatic Accord V-6 in early 2002. There was a design defect in the reverse gear, so they sent a letter out to all owners saying the transmission was covered to 100K miles.
100K doesn't thrill me but it's better than nothing. My 2000 beetle had a drive train warranty to 100K :eek:, so i hope that VW would come up with something better than that.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
I'd hate to experiment with my car, but I'll see when the lock releases. I'll try not to crash. ;)
It's not when it releases, it's when in gear and the engine fails, does it lock?;) That would be a significant safety issue if the steering wheel locked when the engine quit.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta

Post 4211 - Well said Squeegee Boy!
A TDI is still a baby at 120K...

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
It's not when it releases, it's when in gear and the engine fails, does it lock?;) That would be a significant safety issue if the steering wheel locked when the engine quit.
When mine failed I was able to steer without an issue into near by parking lot