Expansion valve needed for AC clutch replacement?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
I just bought a new compressor, clutch, and drier for my ailing AC from Impex. The problem is where to get it installed.

The places I've checked with about doing this work have said they will only do so with their own parts (parts they get from the dealer).

Any advice on how to find an AC shop that'll deviate from this norm, or a specific shop recommendation here in AL? (I'm in Bham, but I go to Huntsville and the Shoals periodically)
Thanks

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Where in AL to get AC compressor installed

bump

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
Where in AL to get AC compressor installed

Patience, patience. There is Hutchinson VW on 5th Ave South between 24th and 25th Sts South.

There is a place on Green Springs Ave/University Blvd called Auto Air of Birmingham.

Or you could try HESCO. IIRC, they are on 2nd Ave South and 12th St. S.

I don't know if you have checked with any of them because you haven't said. I don't have ready access to a phone book or I would give you the phone numbers as well.

These are all in B'ham, AL.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
When I priced the repair at Hesco, they suggested that in addition to the compressor and drier, that a new expansion valve should be installed.

True?

BTW, the price quoted was $400 labor, $70-80 parts.

Impex shipment I got today:
1J0820803K Compressor w/ clutch (VW: Mexico) $197.02
1J0820191D AC receiver drier (Behr: Taiwan*) $70.00
Shipping $14.15 Total $281.17

*Box says Made in China, part says Made in Taiwan

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Gees! Those prices and made in China/Taiwan almost make me puke! Not to say the parts are no good due to where they are made .... but, the darn mark-up!

I have not really looked into the workings of the Jetta air condition system (hope I don't have to either). But, does anyone know if the expansion valve is located under the dash as with most other cars?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
No. Last time I looked, it is at the firewall where the pipes come through. You get at it from the engine side.

ss jimbo

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Impex shipment I got today:
1J0820803K Compressor w/ clutch (VW: Mexico) $197.02
1J0820191D AC receiver drier (Behr: Taiwan*) $70.00
Shipping $14.15 Total $281.17

*Box says Made in China, part says Made in Taiwan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at the receiver/drier on Impex right now and the price is $141.97. (Edit) And the compressor is listed at $508.23. What am I missing? How did you get those parts at those prices? The parts numbers are the same too.

jimbo

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I still haven't heard anyone say whether I should spring for the expansion valve.

About 118k miles on my 99.5 Golf.

ss jimbo, they said the compressor w/ clutch was on special. When I navigate thru the Impex site to AC items for 2000 Golf TDI, I still see the cheaper price. Same thing with searching by part number. It says the regular price is $218.

As for the drier, they told me on the phone that the web price was in error, so I think the $70 is their standard price on this.

ss jimbo

Veteran Member
You're absolutely right on the compressor. I didn't look at the part numbers closely enough on that one.

Does anyone know if the compressors would be interchangeable on the 99 and 00? That would make a huge difference.

jimbo

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Ouch! $726.42 for your A3 compressor (part 1H0820803D). With the price difference that high, I doubt they're compatible.

I have to assume my A4 1999.5 Golf is compatible with later A4's. But I suspect that 1999 A3's are compatible with earlier A3's.

ss jimbo

Veteran Member
My Jetta is a 99.5 also, but the part for 99.5 is different from the part listed for 2000. Here is the part number listed for 99.5: 1J0820805.

That's what I'm asking the compatibility for 99.5 vs 2000.

jimbo

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh oh. What's your source for that part number?

I see it on ETKA. But mine lists both

1J0820805, and
1J0820803A

without providing much explanation.

I'll have to give Impex another call Monday.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
So, should I replace the expansion valve?

I checked with Impex about the part numbers. Was told the 803K should be fine for my 99.5. Asked him about the difference between the 803K and the 805. No real answer. He did comment that the ETKA says the 805 may have a different fitting, round or square or something like that, but that it should be simple to convert from one to the other.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
So, should I replace the expansion valve?

I checked with Impex about the part numbers. Was told the 803K should be fine for my 99.5. Asked him about the difference between the 803K and the 805. No real answer. He did comment that the ETKA says the 805 may have a different fitting, round or square or something like that, but that it should be simple to convert from one to the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
it depends,
first, why are you replacing the compressor and clutch?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Loud clacking noise from compressor area when AC is on. Cooling is somewhat weak - good enough for New Hampshire /images/graemlins/wink.gif but not summer in Alabama. A shop checked it out last fall, replenished the coolant, and when this failed to provide a lasting solution, said a new compressor was needed. The assembled expertise at the Old Navy GTG agreed with the new compressor solution, specifically noting rust powder visible on the compressor, in addition to the clacking.

At that time, I was advised to get a drier in addition to the compressor, since they generally are due at this age, especially if moisture has entered the system.

But, nobody mentioned the expansion valve, until I asked for a repair estimate from the local shop. The part is only $50 or so from Impex, so it won't kill me (although I understand it's difficult to replace, so the labor cost may be disproportionate to the part). But if there isn't any good reason to replace it, I'd just as soon save that $100 or $150.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Its just an orafice. but you'd have to open the system again to replace it at a later time. It would be kind of like doing a waterpump on your first timing belt change.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
Loud clacking noise from compressor area when AC is on. Cooling is somewhat weak - good enough for New Hampshire /images/graemlins/wink.gif but not summer in Alabama. A shop checked it out last fall, replenished the coolant, and when this failed to provide a lasting solution, said a new compressor was needed. The assembled expertise at the Old Navy GTG agreed with the new compressor solution, specifically noting rust powder visible on the compressor, in addition to the clacking.

At that time, I was advised to get a drier in addition to the compressor, since they generally are due at this age, especially if moisture has entered the system.

But, nobody mentioned the expansion valve, until I asked for a repair estimate from the local shop. The part is only $50 or so from Impex, so it won't kill me (although I understand it's difficult to replace, so the labor cost may be disproportionate to the part). But if there isn't any good reason to replace it, I'd just as soon save that $100 or $150.

[/ QUOTE ]
is the clacking from the internal part of compressor( be sure and dont be fooled)? whats the high side reading when clacking?
or the clutch only?
or clacking all the time whether clutch engaged or not?

rust on the compressor near the pulley is not a reason to condem the compressor...has nothing to do with the compressor..
after answering questions above it could be determined what you need.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't noticed it not clack when the AC is on. But then again, once I'm driving I wouldn't notice if it cut off.

Thinking back, when I left it at the repair shop, it wasn't clacking after the guy added some refridgerant and oil to the system, but then it started again when I travelled 5 miles down the road. The high and low sides were really not far from normal range, although I don't remember the specifics. Unfortunately, that day it was only 55 or 60°F.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't noticed it not clack when the AC is on. But then again, once I'm driving I wouldn't notice if it cut off.

Thinking back, when I left it at the repair shop, it wasn't clacking after the guy added some refridgerant and oil to the system, but then it started again when I travelled 5 miles down the road. The high and low sides were really not far from normal range, although I don't remember the specifics. Unfortunately, that day it was only 55 or 60°F.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have to identify the clacking.
trying to hear the clacking from the drivers seal is not going to get us the right result.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
At the GTG, with me turning the AC on and off, the folks outside listening, feeling, and inspecting were confident it was coming from the compressor.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
At the GTG, with me turning the AC on and off, the folks outside listening, feeling, and inspecting were confident it was coming from the compressor.

[/ QUOTE ]
okay its coming from the compressor. thats like saying, yup the noise is coming from the engine... we need to identify exactly what part of the compressor and when..
This may be the reply you want to hear:
"i can guarantee you right now, without even going any further, if you replace the compressor/clutch, drier, and expansion valve the noise will go away... /images/graemlins/grin.gif
that called shot gunning it."

Also I can guarantee that you will still lose refrigerant if the leak does not get identified and repaired.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Very well. I suppose I'll have to shotgun it, since that'll be less expensive than replacing the expansion valve later. Presumably the current shop (a dedicated AC shop) can find any leak, as opposed to the place I took it in the fall, which was chosen not for its AC expertise, but because I could walk from there to work.

Thanks for the limited advice you could give, based on my relative cluelessness. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there any small parts I should get so that the shop won't have to wait for a delivery from the VW dealer?

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Follow-up Q: Should an evacuator be used when these parts are first installed?

My compressor completely died, and what with the metal bits making a racket trying to spin about with the clutch wheel, I decided to get it fixed immediately. Had parts with me, so asked the NAPA shop to recommend a local AC shop (in Huntsville) to do the job. For $250 and 4 hours, he replaced the compressor, clutch, drier, and expansion valve.

When I came back to pick up the car, I got a look inside the shop. Very clean and new - my invoice number was 116. Being that new, there weren't lots of fancy tools. Pretty much just a lift, a workbench, and a big tool cart. I don't know what an evacuator looks like, but I thought it would be a semi-big piece of equipment, which was definitely not there.

AC seems to be running great, although I thought I heard some clacking the first 15 seconds or so after I started the car.

<ul type="square">[*]Is evacuation required as part of the initial install?
[*]Should I have been able to see the evacuator in a pretty much empty, bare garage, or is it somewhat small?
[*]Should I go get all the humidity evacuated again at a real AC shop, or not worry until I have problems?
[/list] Thanks for the feedback.