Not your average big turbo build

tooslowtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I've been doing some research on "big turbo tdi's" for about a year now and decided I wanted to do my own so I bought a alh motor that had 2 bent valves as my project motor and I happend to have a hx35 off of a cummins laying around the shop and decided that was the turbo I wanted to use. As you know the turbo would be extremely laggy On a 1.9l alh so I'm interested in boring it to a 2.0 with the use of bhw pistons and I was just trying to get some feedback from some body any tips or things I need to know before I dive head first into this project

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
So turbo off a 5.9L fitted to a 1.9L will be too laggy....but + .1L 1.9 and it'll be ok? I am not an expert by any stretch but I would guess you're going to need quite a few other supporting components to pull this off?

Now again, I am not an expert so I am going to just sit back and learn a thing or two....or three.

tooslowtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Should have probably clarified, there will be supporting mod I've got a 11mm pump, some nozzles that will be getting sent out to custom flowed and I'll be using Jeff at rocketchip for my tuning, p&p head etc....

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. That's my opinion.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Use #8 turbine housing from Holset H1D. Turbo will spool just before 4000rpm so use 6000 or 6500rpm limiter.

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
way to big turbo, unless use for nos for spooling or some king of air compressor to shot lots of air into ext housing to get that thing to spool.
Sell the turbo to some DSM/honda/mitsu, they love the lag and 8000rpm.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
The HX35 is often used by the Nissan guys on the VG30 and VG33. Even with that much displacement they still don't typically spool up completely until the 3k rpm range.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
I know it's "what you have laying around" but if I was going to do a big turbo build it would involve a high end billet, ball bearing turbo that will actually get moving compared the that dinosaur of a turbo! I'd bet it doesn't spool hardly at all honestly.

tooslowtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Other then the turbo being to big and laggy is there anyone that can give me feedback on the whole use of the bhw pistons I'd like to know if there's any problems with running them in a alh block?

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
Dont bore it to 81mm, head gasget does not last so well. Stock pistons and bore is just fine.

You have to try that turbo, i bet +300bhp even without head porting. But remember that tiny turbine housing!

tooslowtdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Dont bore it to 81mm, head gasget does not last so well. Stock pistons and bore is just fine.
You have to try that turbo, i bet +300bhp even without head porting. But remember that tiny turbine housing!
I like your attitude towards this!

LSSBoy

TDI
ALH
Ive test drove an 1.8t with an hx35 once, what a pita ! Mother of lag lol didnt spool before 6000 and had to shift at 6500. Veeeeryyyyy boring car to drive. Forget about it with an alh

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
Dont forget that there is very much different versions of hx35. Smallest is with 46mm compressor inducer. I want to try 7+7 blade billet compressor wheel (50mm inducer) version with #8 turbine housing. It might be nice turbo for 350bhp zone.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Compressor size doesn't really affect lag much on these turbos-I've tried a few on the van and they all virtually spooled the same. Find an Hy35, they have a 9 cm housing or get a BEP housing for the DSM, I think they are around 6/7 cm.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
go for it

Just use nitrous and propane to get it going, it's cheaper than pulling the engine to bore it and all that jazz.