Chris Farnham (3193) passes away, 3/8/15

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
RIP my friend. I have had the pleasure of knowing Chris since our initial purchase in late 1999 and have purchased five VWs from him. His knowledge and integrity were second to none. Chris was a master at finding the car you wanted and delivering it within days.

I had hoped to ask Chris to scout for insider GTD scuttlebutt with hopes of planning another purchase.

Chris knew I liked to mod my TDIs. On one visit to Langhorne he took me outside, "I've got a surprise." There was a used V10 Toureg, "Let's go" as he handed me the keys. We headed down the ramp onto I95, I was impressed and respectful as I drove a few miles. As I started back he said "I know you want to really drive this thing, open it up, floor it!" Wow those V10s can haul. Our community has lost a friend.

My condolences to his uncle and I hope he can find peace knowing Chris is in a better place. John, Ruth & family

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Wow I just seen this. This really stinks. I bought both of my Passat's from this guy. He was absolutley the best salesman I have ever dealt with. He made things easy to get the deal done. HE will truly be missed for sure.

Treesnake

Veteran Member
RIP. I bought one TDI from him (I was in a tight spot, but he wouldn't have dreamed of taking advantage), and was really hoping to buy another one from him this year. A stand-up guy who would go out of his way to help you. He will be missed by me and my family, as well.

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
this is very sad news to find out, although ive never delt with chris, he seemed like a great guy to everyone on the forums and would always help them with their problems.

my condolences to the family

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I had not been on TDIClub in some time, and discovered this shocking news this morning. I am very sad. I bought my car from Chris in 2009. I was his first Cash for Clunkers sale. I gave him a wish list of colors and options, and to my amazement, Chris found a car that matched 100%.

RIP Chris. This is terrible news. Simply terrible.

bbd564

Veteran Member
What terrible news. I purchased my first car from Chris in late 2004/early 2005 and a few more since then. He really was the best car salesman of all time AND a great person. It was always a pleasure to talk with him on the phone and visit with him in person. He will be missed for sure.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So sad to hear this. Never bought a car from Chris or even spoke with him, but what he showed us here was a model for car salespeople everywhere. Rest in peace.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Sad to read this news. I just came on looking to see if anyone had anything to say about the new wagons and discovered that 3193 is gone. I PM'd with him a few times and spoke to him on the phone once in 2012 when I was looking to buy my current wagon. Ended up buying it locally but Chris was very helpful when I was in contact with him. RIP, Chris.

Prophet

I just popped into Fred's after a bit of a sabbatical and came across this thread. I bought my 2010 Golf TDI from Chris back on March 8th, 2010. It's was the best car-buying experience I ever had. Chris made the whole experience so easy and stress-free. He arranged to pick me up @ the train, shuttled me to the dealership, and 45-minutes later, I drove away a very happy man. The experience left me committed to buying my next car from Chris, and I was just waiting to see where the GTD/Sportwagen model was going. My sales experience even compelled my on a few occasions to make the trip to Langhorne, PA for a few of my service calls...it justified a trip to say hi.

Chris was a man of integrity and dependability in an industry riddled with deceit, chicanery, and double-dealing. He was a good soul. Clearly, he will be missed by a good many.

Fair seas and following winds Chris. We are diminished.

-P.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hello,
Chris is one of those guys who words are just not adequate to explain the emotions we all feel when we lose someone. He helped my wife and I find our 2013 Sportwagen when no other dealer in the area was willing to look hard enough. He arranged everything while he was out on sick leave from Langhorne, and I actually met him a couple of times. He followed through on everything he promised and delivered. He even called me when a low mile Mark IV came in and asked for advice on a fair selling price. I told him if it was 5 speed wagon with that low miles I would be buying it! ;) He was a great guy. My condolences to his loved ones, and he will be sorely missed. In a day in age when car salesman aren't the most standup people, he was one that obliterated the stereotype. Godspeed my friend!

Sincerely,

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have been thinking about Chris a lot lately......I know I was one of the last folks to get a new car from him......Picked up on Feb 4 2 months ago today......love this car and it is very special! It was my 4th car from him I got to spend a few hours with him and I had a very forboding feeling when I left that day......he would be in his glory right now if he was still with us with the new Golf Wagen coming out......

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My sincerest of condolences to his friends and family :(

You'll be missed!

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
We also lost a family member recently. Sincere condolences to all!

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Wow. I exchanged emails with Chris about a year ago...never have I come across such an honest and helpful individual. May you rest in peace my friend.

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta TDI Cup Car Laser Blue
Chris sold us our TDI Cup car, went out of his way to find the one we wanted and when we drove from CT to pick it up he gave us a bag of pretzels to take home, on top of that his price was not to be beat!!! RIP Chris, you were the best!!
Just for my own peace of mind, what happened?

Last edited:

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Very sad to here.
I talked with Chris when I bought a warranty from him late last year. Great guy that knew how to treat a customer.

I picked up my current ride from him about two years ago. Chris was a great guy!

acmercg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
RIP. Chris was a top notch guy, he should be the blueprint for every car salesman. I bought my 14 Passat from him and it was the easiest transaction ever. Condolences to his family.

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
Wow! I Hoped to get my next TDI from him. Over the years, he always answered my emails and was as straight forward as can be. I talked about him to all my friends and coworkers who were looking to buy a TDI. I guess I thought he would always be around for when I was finally ready. I am very sad that I never had the pleasure of finally giving him my business.

RIP, Chris

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Wow just read this, bought my TDI wagon from him in oct 2011, as every one says a great experience, he will be missed.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
This sucks. My wife and I purchased our TDIs from Chris and wanted to get my Mother-in-law into a Sportwagen only to find out our "Go-to" guy was gone.

When we where picking out my Passat, Christi and I were joking with him about how she couldn't drive stick shift, so he has us go on a test drive alone in one that didn't meet our option list and said to her "take it for a while, make sure you're comfortable behind the wheel" with a smile.

She got to learn to drive stick on a car with 150 miles on the odometer!

We'll always remember him.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This sucks. My wife and I purchased our TDIs from Chris and wanted to get my Mother-in-law into a Sportwagen only to find out our "Go-to" guy was gone.

When we where picking out my Passat, Christi and I were joking with him about how she couldn't drive stick shift, so he has us go on a test drive alone in one that didn't meet our option list and said to her "take it for a while, make sure you're comfortable behind the wheel" with a smile.

She got to learn to drive stick on a car with 150 miles on the odometer!

We'll always remember him.
Funny you say this.....when I was picking up my new Jetta last February Chris told me he didint know how to drive a stick......we laughed......I miss him everyday....:(

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Funny you say this.....when I was picking up my new Jetta last February Chris told me he didint know how to drive a stick......we laughed......I miss him everyday....:(
Every time I visit this site now I think of the crazy deal Chris and I made on the Passat I have now. I'll never forget the look on his face when he had to tell me the new Passat I traveled 1,800 miles for was just totaled on the dealer's lot an hour before I got there (driving from D.C. in Friday rush hour traffic to NJ).:eek: He was a real unique and caring person.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Wow- just doing some research on Chris' activities and saw this. Chris- you put a good spin on the words "car salesman!" You are sorely missed by many more than you can imagine!

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Tomorrow I'm likely to be trading in my 2011 JSW. I bought that car from Chris.

Going thru and cleaning out the glove box last night, I came across paperwork from when I bought the car. Stuff with his signature on it. I paused for a moment, saddend, remembering how I told him I would be looking to buy the next gen wagon from him when it came out.

I looked at the stuff with his signature on it, and reflected - just how many people were saddened by the death of a car salesman. Someone we are told to hate, not to trust. Our natural enemy.

Chris Farnham was none of these things. And it's a shame that he is gone. I wish I was buying my new TDI from him tomorrow. :(

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta TDI Cup Car Laser Blue
Tomorrow I'm likely to be trading in my 2011 JSW. I bought that car from Chris.

Going thru and cleaning out the glove box last night, I came across paperwork from when I bought the car. Stuff with his signature on it. I paused for a moment, saddend, remembering how I told him I would be looking to buy the next gen wagon from him when it came out.

I looked at the stuff with his signature on it, and reflected - just how many people were saddened by the death of a car salesman. Someone we are told to hate, not to trust. Our natural enemy.

Chris Farnham was none of these things. And it's a shame that he is gone. I wish I was buying my new TDI from him tomorrow. :(
Ditto, just picked up my golf R yesterday, while the salesman was ok, the sales manager was trash, made me feel completely uncomfortable....God rest Chris

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I know right? Here I sit at 0500, on a saturday morning. In an hour we will leave for NoVA. And still dont know if we are buying. Trust is not there. many questions, etc etc.

My sales guy is ok, manager seems better. Neither are Chris. That's the understatement of the day, however.