Diesel Preview for 2014-2014 in U.S.

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Sounds like the U.S. market is heating up...

Diesel Car Preview for 2014-15

More Diesels Still to Come as Automakers Add Models to Lineup

America’s love affair with the diesel is being rekindled, at least as far as sales figures go. Sales of diesel-powered cars and SUVs were up 26% in 2012 and it looks as if that trend is continuing for 2013. While these figures are encouraging, overall sales of diesels remain in the single digits while diesels command over 50% of sales in European markets such as Germany and the United Kingdom. Hybrids, not diesels, seem to have significantly greater mindshare in the U.S.

Given the trend, not only are automakers making oilburners available in the U.S., but some, such as Chrysler and General Motors, are entering the field after a hiatus of several decades. Up until now, however, the diesel market has been dominated by German carmakers, namely Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volkswagen....

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
When it arrives, the all-new for 2014 Mazda6 will be the first Asian diesel to be sold in the U.S., and also the first diesel used in a passenger car that does not require a urea after-treatment system to comply with nitrous-oxide emissions standards.

Ummmm......:confused:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Marketing gone wrong... I guess they didn't look at the non-urea Jetta TDI, but did look at the urea-injected Passat. Personally from what I know of it, I think I would prefer one with it as apposed to without it...

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Seems as though the engineers using it properly are able to get more power and performance/efficiency out of the engine tuning with urea than without if they know what they are doing and take advantage of it. The Duramax engineers said they wanted to let the emissions system do its job and tuned the newest engine for performance and efficiency since they were saddled with the emissions system anyway there was no reason to fight it. And they have a great engine with it. I think the Duramax LML with the 9th injector for DPF regen and urea is the best emissions system out there if there is such a thing!