BRM Turbo Actuator help

lee157

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 98 White Standard, 2006 Jetta TDI DSG White
OK as per my last post I have identified the Turbo Actuator (left green circle) and now I have questions,,,,

I checked this with engine off,, I pulled the hose that goes to it from the valve on the right (see pic) and the actuator DOES NOT HOLD ANY VACUUM like you are sucking on an open hose

BUT I can NOT blow into the hose at all,,, maybe a check valve some place??

Could all the wires going into this thing control some solenoid that would NOT let it hold vacuum when not running????

OR is this thing shot??

I'm pulling this code consistently 000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached P0299 and fighting limp mode periodically.

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
If you hook up a vacuum pump to the actuator and it won't hold vacuum, you will either have to one, replace the turbo, or two, find someone who happens to have a known good BRM actuator to replace your bad one with (the actuator is not available new). If you go with option #2, you will need to be quite creative and a good technician to perform the swap both from an R&R standpoint as well as follow-up needed turbo vane adjustments. Later!

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
+1 Harvieux

My experience with the actuator, it should hold vacuum. I've never tried blowing into it though, so I don't know about that.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
The code mentioned above can also mean you have some boost leak like cracked, broken or loose intercooler plumbing. Ask me how I know.

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
It sounds to me like you are taking the hose off the n75 and testing from there right?
I would take the hose off the actuator and test just the actuator. There could be a hole in the hose.
You need a vacuum pump to test it.

go7

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI
Fixed my limp mode!!!!
I had problem with the turbo actuator. It didn't hold vacuum, I got code P0299. So I go after the actuator. Here is how I fix it. I copy past from my other thread. You can find my full post by click on my screen name.

I'm able to manage to remove the brm actuator off the original turbo without remove the turbo or intake off the engine. It's not easy but you can do it, that's save me a lot of time.

Remove 2 hex screws and loose the nut that hold the actuator vain from the bottom. That's about it. As I report my issue last post. I know that I had leak on the bottom of actuator. So when I had the actuator out i look around for a rubber seal that match the hole on the bottom inside the clear rubber cover. Then I put some silicone and a washer and nuts to seal my leak. Test it with hand pump vacuum and it's hold the vacuum!!!! The I put everything back on the turbo. I startup and give it a test drive. Sure enough it's fix my limp mode!!! I just safe my self from a new turbo.

Hope it's help someone in the future.

lee157

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 98 White Standard, 2006 Jetta TDI DSG White
Fixed my pics, hosting from my website now so they should stay up