TDI Bad fuel economy

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hi all,
I resently took a trip in my 01 tdi and found I have terrible mileage. I averaged about 30mpg , the bug has normal power and everything seems fine. On this trip I averaged about 70 mph, I have a 2 inch lift but I don't think it would make that big of a difference Would it? Last year when I went on a similar trip I was averaging about 43mpg this was prior to the lift. Is there anything else that could be causing such poor mpg? I was thinking maybe a clogged intake because of the egr, but don't know if this would decrease the mileage that much.
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
GlowBugTDI

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
any Ideas? I could really use the help, tomorrow I am going to try and pull the egr to see if my intake is clogged, if it isn't that then I don't really know what else to do. As I mentioned before everything seems normal, I have searched the forum and have yet to find someone that has had a problem like mine other than tdi's with bad turbos or limp mode. If more info is needed I can supply more, I am just looking for ideas as to what this bad MPG might be.
Thank you,
GlowBugTDI

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I will look at that later today and see if I can figure out my problem.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The reality is that a clogging intake actually increases fuel mileage by limiting the incoming air and then the ECU limits fuel to match. Quite a few things affect the fuel mileage.
Check out the fuel mileage thread posted and start with the easy cheap stuff working your way to the end.

Last edited: