My 1Z TDI Rabbit Truck Conversion

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
make sure the brake light switches are adjusted correctly, i.e. pulled out all the way (the plunger of the switch) They will click when pulled out, like a zip noise. Then when you move the brake pedal it will adjust itself. I had this problem w my GTI swap.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Forget using a brake pedal switch as they are always a pain in the ass to get to work correctly as you have two brake signals that need to switch at the same time in order for the ECU to be happy.
The solution is simple and costs about $10. Just get a simple relay and use the wire that goes from the master cylinder brake switch to the tail lights.
F (Brake Light Switch) wants to as 12V when the pedal is pushed and GND when the pedal is at rest. The master cylinder circuit provides this.
F47 (Brake Pedal Switch) The 1Z / AHU wants to see 12V with the pedal rest and an open circuit when the pedal is pushed so wire the relay as follows:
30 - GND
85 - Brake Light Circuit at master cylinder
- F wire to ECU
86 - 12V switched *
87 - F47 wire to ECU

* install diode so you don't energize the 15 circuit of your car when you press the brake pedal with the engine off.

Double check the condition for the F47 wire with your wiring diagram - I am doing this from memory, but I think that is the logic for that circuit.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Thanks for the info, and GTiTDI i pulled all three switches off the pedals and pulled them out and let them reset and wallah!!!!!!! i have no more flashing glow plug light, cruise works and im happy, i had a little hickup, my waterpump decided to go, so it was a real challenge changing it, i also found a leak in the A/C line and i got it fixed, so ill charge the air tomorrow again, here its sittin in my front yard

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Thanks for the info, and GTiTDI i pulled all three switches off the pedals and pulled them out and let them reset and wallah!!!!!!! i have no more flashing glow plug light, cruise works and im happy, i had a little hickup, my waterpump decided to go, so it was a real challenge changing it, i also found a leak in the A/C line and i got it fixed, so ill charge the air tomorrow again, here its sittin in my front yard
I'm glad that worked for you. The Caddy is looking great! 15/52 snowflakes look awesome!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
more pictures, looks great

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Frank...next wed im suppose to go to the trim shop to finish the interior, ill have more pics then

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the last week has been a blast driving the truck i have had a lot of fun, i have had many lookers, almost an accident from someone lookin to much, ive had a few quirks but truely fun to drive, timorrow im off to have the interior finished, been a long time commin so will have pics to follow

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Well sar i broke away from work and headed to the trim shop to work on my truck, of course the dash has been the issue, we fit all the dash together and from it being taken in and out a lot it got a little warped, so we took the dash out and assembled it on the table where we could see from inside to out and were going to do some fiberglass work on the inside to give it more structure and form it with the dash together and glass the backside, then will put it back in and good to go, so i drove it home with no dash just? cluster ziptied up, drove just fabulous 75 cruise on and go, preformed well i have a small oil leak i need to address and recharge a/c, everything else inside is done ill get some pics up

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Looks good, really good

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you going to h20?

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
My goal is to go Frank i wanted to make TDI fest but dont look like my dash will be done and im working on a tonnneau cover for it. Im very excited about the corrado dash its gonna look really nice when its done and factory look. I hope to have my nardi wood wheel and shifter knob in A couple weeks

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Looking really nice sir! I gassed up the ac and man it's nice to have air. Should of done this back in June!! Do you have a walk around vid of it running? Would like to hear it.

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Candela
I really worked to go to the fest with it but couldnt make it happen, will make it in 2013 for sure i tried to go in my 04 wagon but it failed me also

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got off the phone with my trim guy and he has the dash all completed, i just have to take the truck back down and we will install it, i plan on this next week, ill pick up the material this week for the bed cover in hopes to get it made next week,, i have a oil pan gasket i have to replace also just some seapage but i want it fixed

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Today i got the battery box mounted, fixed my power steering leak,, hooked up the dome lights

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Welll long and awaited for this day, we have the dash 90% complete, well all of interior is about complete, i have a few things to tidy up, i have the vent tube in back of the glove box to route, the heater cables to attach, i found another control, mine had a tab broken off so i will take that and switch it out, the vag com outlet will be beside the headlight switch, with a snap cover to hide it and i have a good idea for what ill put on the cover, a few other odds and ends but mostly complete, my trim man, i think i heard enough words on this dash and interior, he has a GREAT Spirit about him and i commend the job well done

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is another pic of the center piece, a lot of time in that piece

There is still a few things left to do as you can see, i an waiting for my wood steering wheel and shifter knob for it

GTiTDi

TDI
Yes i have, you will see forth comming
Those window crank spindles look close to the dash/knee bar....many dash swaps I have seen didn't take this clearance into account....A mk1 Jetta coupe with a 1.8T swap I saw had a mk4 dash in it as well as a couple mk2/mk3 dash swaps had this problem...

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i knew the problem when i started and we put the knee bars in there just for now, i may stay if i go with my power window setup or i have my other knee bar set up im deciding what to do

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Any plans of replacing the steering wheel? It seems a little out of place in such a nice interior.

GTiTDi

TDI
Well i knew the problem when i started and we put the knee bars in there just for now, i may stay if i go with my power window setup or i have my other knee bar set up im deciding what to do
Ah at least you knew about the clearance issue before you started, Nothing worse than finding out after you are all done!
Any plans of replacing the steering wheel? It seems a little out of place in such a nice interior.
IIRC the OP has a nice wooden Nardi wheel to complement this beautiful machine!