Will this forum exist after everyone in the US (some day Canada) takes the buyout

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
What is the number of people taking it up to now? Looked like over 75%?

The Passat TDI with urea may become an orphan?

Don

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
most of us cannot part with the nms, great size and 50mpg is amazing.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
NSTDI: Don't know what your reasoning is behind your question. Don't know how many are pursuing buyback, but there will always be a core of NMS owners here.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
most of us cannot part with the nms, great size and 50mpg is amazing.
Please elucidate where you derive the statement "most of us." I see a whole lot of posters on this forum who state they are taking the buyback.......

As far as the OP is concerned, certainly there will be some group who will keep their cars. Statistically, with that many of them, there are bound to be some. And if there are still diesel drivers, I don't know why TDI Club would go away.

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Alrighty then...

We own two NMS cars. The offer on the 2014 is too good to pass up even though I like the car. It has almost 60k miles and once I factor the upcoming (still fairly far off) required service, the buyback id a no brainer.

The 2013 is a different story. 28k miles with nary a glitch over nearly four years. This car will be a keeper. Every time I drive it I reflect that is a very nice vehicle. VERY NICE! We'll see what the "fix" entails and hopefully continue to be a happy NMS owner.

By the way... The 2014 has already been replaced with a Tiguan. Other than for a bit of a thirst the Tiguan is great. We just did a 3000 mile trip and couldn't be more pleased even though VW is VERY proud of their little SUV.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This forum will still exist, although I fully expect traffic to be significantly reduced due to the reduction in the number of vehicles on the road.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
While I'm selling both of mine back, I'll still be haunting around here because I intend to get back into a diesel at a future date. I'm hoping it will be a VAG product, but since Mazda just announced this week the CX-5 diesel will be available later next year it might be that.

The buyback was simply too good a deal to pass up. The Jetta has too many things wrong with it, so it would be dumb to keep it. The Passat is harder to give up, and there's nothing wrong with it (for now), but because I was planning on moving back into a SUV/CUV within the next couple of years the financial offer was again just too good. I've basically driven the Passat for almost nothing for two years.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Keeping mine and probably taking the fix. The combination of increased warranty, restitution, and the fact it is an awesome car make it an easy decision. So I'll be asking stupid questions on this forum for many years to come. :)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
A vocal minority is selling back....
But many cars will soldier on....perhaps it might be longerterm the end...say 20 years, but the same can be said for gasoline engines too....

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
My starting of this thread was specific to the 2012-2015 Passat TDI, last I read the buyback had generated a takeup of about 75% of these cars? Haven't looked lately for an update.

If there is no fix, these cars will get "disappeared" leaving the remaining cars orphans. If there is no fix, will they be legislated off the road since they are illegal?

A very unique situation.

I was not thinking TDI.com would disappear.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NSTDI: I don't think your statements are valid. AFAIK, there is no question that VAG will be fixing these cars, which in fact, will be the easiest of the CRs to fix: software mod, increase in AdBlue consumption, no major plumbing/hardware changes.

You may be referring to the 2009 Jettas, which have one-piece, no AdBlue (tank/plumbing). Those will require serious plumbing mods, the cost of which may very well exceed the value of the vehicles.

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
No chance I'll be taking the buyback unless there's absolutely no alternative. Love this car too much! If anything, I'll try to purchase another TDI Passat on the cheap, but that's looking less and less likely as time goes on. Prices for these cars (at least in my area) have shot up significantly over the last few months.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
NSTDI: I don't think your statements are valid. AFAIK, there is no question that VAG will be fixing these cars, which in fact, will be the easiest of the CRs to fix: software mod, increase in AdBlue consumption, no major plumbing/hardware changes.

You may be referring to the 2009 Jettas, which have one-piece, no AdBlue (tank/plumbing). Those will require serious plumbing mods, the cost of which may very well exceed the value of the vehicles.
Agree, but if the urea Passat fix was "easy", why wouldn't that have been approved by now? I guess we've already had a couple of "fixes" that didn't meet EPA approval, those software upgrades we had.

If they had a real fix for the urea TDI's, why hold back, get it out there and make EPA and urea TDI owners happier. At least get this model off the table?

I love my diesel, I just don't like the expensive urea system. All technology is great, when it works. When it doesn't work, its way too expensive.

Don

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I don't think that I will get a buy back offer for the Beetle :)

I will be staying with this forum and hopefully there will be enough people with older TDI's to keep this going.

The information source found here is the deepest on the WWW and the members are great and very helpful.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
A vocal minority is selling back....
But many cars will soldier on....perhaps it might be longerterm the end...say 20 years, but the same can be said for gasoline engines too....

Maybe a vocal minority of the members of this forum but the majority (~80% so far) of owners are selling back. Here is a quote and I am guessing more people will be registering over time...

from Jalopnik article today:
http://jalopnik.com/why-volkswagen-tdi-owners-are-pissed-about-the-dieselga-1789233795
"To date, we have over 370,000 registrants on our settlement web site, over 197,000 completed claim submissions, over 70,000 document packages have been reviewed by Volkswagen for eligibility and passed on to the Claims Supervisor, or where necessary we’ve gone back to claimants and asked for more information."

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mtbsteve: I don't see in your quote, nor in the article, anything that says/implies that "...80%..." are selling back. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
The forum will continue, albeit without the complainers about VW and their diesel engines and automatic transmissions. The only ones left will be those that made an educated decision to stick with their diesels (sorry, excluding all those people driving 20 year-old cars).

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
mtbsteve: I don't see in your quote, nor in the article, anything that says/implies that "...80%..." are selling back. Am I missing something?
If the 370,000 is the number who have signed up for the buyback and the total cars is 450,000, that's 82.2%.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
....how many of the people selling back signed up here only after the scandal broke??

i, for one, will be glad when the "new post" tabs no longer includes 10+ diesel gate threads...

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
If the 370,000 is the number who have signed up for the buyback and the total cars is 450,000, that's 82.2%.
They've signed up, but we have no idea how many are taking the buyback and how many registered for the fix. Remember, you have both options when you register.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I also heard for cars still not registered the assumption is that they will be given buyback status even though it's possible they may be fixed or kept in unfixed state as other possible options.

ben2mx

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
What if I plan on keeping it for 1 year or even more until before the 2018 limit date. By then, the car will be paid off, and the buyback money is all going to my pocket. Of course, I have to stay away from totalling the vehicle, but I have done the maintenance myself on the DSG transmission, I am at 50k and dealer gave me lifetime free oil changes.

As far as tires goes, I used my Goodwill dealer card to buy tires and I have not mounted them yet as I still have some thread left on the older ones.

Am I going too wallstreet bets with this idea? I dont want to get in debt again anytime soon buying a new car.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Everyone? Hardly . . . I, for one, registered, but for the fix. Fix or not, they can grab thier buyback in two hands and shove it northward at as high a velocity as they can muster. Not. Going. To. Happen. Here!

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Everyone? Hardly . . . I, for one, registered, but for the fix. Fix or not, they can grab thier buyback in two hands and shove it northward at as high a velocity as they can muster. Not. Going. To. Happen. Here!
You don't have to register for the fix. It will come to you. You register so you can be in line for a buyback, take it or leave it, but if you don't "register" the fix will come to you anyway, its called a recall notice.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
You don't have to register for the fix. It will come to you. You register so you can be in line for a buyback, take it or leave it, but if you don't "register" the fix will come to you anyway, its called a recall notice.
Recalls are not mandatory. It's an option.

Regards

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
My B4 has zero rust. Unless I crash it, it will outlive me. A few months ago there was a 2003 Golf TDI with 90k on it for sale by me and I did not act. Went back and it was El Gonno.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I think the article was inaccurate, since they say owners have logged into the website to file their buyback claim. Im guessing that is to either buyback OR take the money and run, the article just assumes everyone is pissed. I on the other hand love my car and am going to take my 5-6 grand i wasnt expecting and keep on driving.