Upgrading my TDI: 2012 SE - 2013 SEL

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OK, so, to make a long story short, CarMax has been unable to effectively repair the Passat I bought in November. So, they're replacing it with one of equal or slightly better value.

So, what's the big / cool difference between a 2012 SE and a 2013 SEL Premium? And are there any unique things I should be aware of?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, depending on what's on your SE— maybe a lot. We've got the '13 SEL Premium, and it has moonroof, the "deluxe" RNS-510 dash combo unit, mulitple power front seats, and only came with the DSG (don't know if your SE is manual or not). Plus, it's got the KESSY system which incorporates the keyless start / entry, etc. We bought the SEL Premium because the top trim incorporated all the extras we'd gotten used to in driving SAABs for many years. It has the DSG transmission, unlike all our previous SAABs, which were manuals, but we had to accept that to get the top trim, and I've grown to like the DSG.

undertow999

TDI
2013 Passat SE w/sunoof
Probably one of the biggest is the 2013 will have rear AC/Heating vents. At least to me that was pretty important and why I waited to buy a 2013 rather than the 2012

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Probably one of the biggest is the 2013 will have rear AC/Heating vents. At least to me that was pretty important and why I waited to buy a 2013 rather than the 2012
I know Canadian trim levels are different than those of US market, my 2012 is the Highline and probably similar as the US SEL, my 2012 have the rear vents, but are rather well concealed, 1 under each of the 2 front seats, they seem to pop through the carpeted floor, perhaps for 2013 models they were redesigned to come thru the rear end of the centre console, which would make them more noticeable.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Plus it has the built-in garage door opener. Memory seats vs. non-memory power seats (dumbest thing ever). And rear vents.

I bought a 2012 SE over a 2013 SE to get climatronic, ambient lights, and the door lights although an SEL car will probably have all that stuff already.

Good luck!

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
Some TDI SEs, like mine came with the "roof and nav" package which included a lower level nav unit, sunroof, same 18" wheels, chrome trim as the SEL level. No KESSY, leather or power passenger seat, etc. I believe all 2012s came with automatic climate but changed for 2013. Being it is an SEL, it has automatic climate anyway.
If it is just a regular SE then you are looking at the items already mentioned above by Rico plus the addition of the 18" wheels/tires, sunroof, leather/dynamica seat covering, power passenger seat, Fender audio and I believe a fake wood trim inside. Not a bad upgrade all things considered and probably a +~$6k difference in MSRP when new.
There is nothing in that package that should be prone to any more issues, at least from what I have read on the forums over the years, so that is good.

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So I made the switch last night!
Black 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with 21,100 miles. Questions are already forming:

Media center has 20 GB HDD. How do I add music to that?
Nav system has out of date maps. How do I update them? For that matter, are there any known tweaks for that?

KESSY is nice. But the remotely-started engine cuts off when the door is opened? What's up with that?

The only thing missing on the car are the black plastic security keys for the glovebox. What sort of pain & hassle am I going to have to deal with to replace those? When I transport weapons I like to have the locked safely away.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So I made the switch last night!
Black 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with 21,100 miles. Questions are already forming:

Media center has 20 GB HDD. How do I add music to that?

Nav system has out of date maps. How do I update them? For that matter, are there any known tweaks for that?

KESSY is nice. But the remotely-started engine cuts off when the door is opened? What's up with that?
Adding music to HDD - read the head unit's manual if it came with car. Or search for a thread on how to do it such as this one:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/how-do-you-add-music-to-the-30gb-hdd-26783.html

Updating OEM navigation maps - get your wallet out:

http://vw.navigation.com/product/Ca...tem-Map-Update/sku/T1000-23424/en_US/VWNA/USD

Remote start - what you describe is normal behavior - see post #58 in this thread:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375850

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The '13 SEL will have a couple nice features of your '12 SE: Suede / leather seats w/ softer padding, memory for the driver's seat a outside mirrors, fog lights w/ cornering function, navigation w/ Fender sound system, and keyless ignition.

Over the '12 you lose rear door entry lights.

I'd think the swap is a no-brainer.

-J

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The '13 SEL will have a couple nice features of your '12 SE: Suede / leather seats w/ softer padding, memory for the driver's seat a outside mirrors, fog lights w/ cornering function, navigation w/ Fender sound system, and keyless ignition.

Over the '12 you lose rear door entry lights.

I'd think the swap is a no-brainer.

-J
So far, I'm liking it! Not thrilled about the suede inserts, but I'll get over it. The software tweaks begin tonight...

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There's a firmware and map update available for your RNS-510. I had issues with the OEM backup camera at night so I replaced it with a better OEM style camera.

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
There's a firmware and map update available for your RNS-510. I had issues with the OEM backup camera at night so I replaced it with a better OEM style camera.
I've been trying to get the firmware update for a while - no one seems to want to talk to me about it and the dealer just looks at me crosseyed. Is there some secret code or hand shake involved?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I've been trying to get the firmware update for a while - no one seems to want to talk to me about it and the dealer just looks at me crosseyed. Is there some secret code or hand shake involved?
Nope, just money :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-5382-U...ash=item43e14f6a9c:g:2AkAAOSwgQ9V01t9&vxp=mtr

This is from a reputable service provider, and he is a member of this forum as well.

Remember that this is just the firmware: the map update is available at http://vw.navigation.com/product/Ca...tem-Map-Update/sku/T1000-23424/en_US/VWNA/USD