Understanding a new noise

Mikerad56

TDI
2013 VW Passat SE
I have a 2013 Passat, 6sp manual transmission. 95,000 miles. The other day the weather was glorious in Ohio so I rolled down my window. It was then I heard a ticking noise. The noise almost had the same frequency as the valve train. With the clutch out the noise is present. When I push in the clutch the noise goes away. The noise is there when the clutch is out when in gear or neutral. It sounds like an exhaust leak or a leaky valve, like a tick tick tick but I suppose there's some kind of internal problem of the transmission. There are no vibrations. No change in the feel of either pressing in the clutch or changing gears. I'll take some insight. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to the dealership and get their thoughts.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451651

There's a video in this thread. Its exactly what mine did before catastrophic failure. The clicking swooshing sound is the piece of spring machining the transmission housing. You should be able to inspect it by removing the starter and using a good mirror and flashlight. The fact that it changes with clutch pedal position is what worries me about yours. When the clutch is engaged the spring is hitting the housing. When disengaged it is pushed away, stopping the noise. Mine failed engaged about 100 miles later

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
If this spring issue is indeed correct, 95k is pretty soon for it to happen. I'm not saying it isn't the spring, I'm saying it's unfortunate so soon.

I had nearly exactly this problem with my B4 but it appeared after the original clutch was at 250k, and weird stuff is bound to break at that age but less likely at 95.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
If this spring issue is indeed correct, 95k is pretty soon for it to happen. I'm not saying it isn't the spring, I'm saying it's unfortunate so soon.

I had nearly exactly this problem with my B4 but it appeared after the original clutch was at 250k, and weird stuff is bound to break at that age but less likely at 95.
At least you got that far lol. Mine failed around 50k and I believe a few others were at low mileage

Mikerad56

TDI
2013 VW Passat SE
I got my car back from repair and it indeed was the spring. Mine didn't break like 767wrench but bent out on both sides. $1500 bill.