Coolant filter

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I installed one on mine after the heater core and oil cooler clogged. It has virtually eliminated the reoccurring debris in my reservoir.
I got a kit off eBay that included 3 wix filters for $109. Its made for 6.0 powerstrokes and I adapted it to fit my car. I installed it in front of the transmission (manual) mounted to the sub frame rail. I tied into my block heater line that was installed when I got my frost heater. The brass T in the kit didn't fit as it was for 3/4" hose but the smaller 3/8 T fit the 5/16" line on yhe car and I did a T at the reservoir. I built my own 5/8 to 3/8 T from brass fittings.

One of the self tapping screws felt like it wanted to strip so i jammed another one in next to it for good measure. Hence the bolt party on the bracket lol

My reservoir before the filter. It would reoccur even after flushing multiple times

The kit from dfuser diesel

Last edited:

Cashcropin

TDI
2014 Passat tdi se dsg
Great job on install I wasn't sure on the best place to tap into the coolant lines I had thoughts of putting it inline between the egr cooler and the heater core but was concerned if it plugged it would create more problems. Thanks for the pics

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I installed one on mine after the heater core and oil cooler clogged. It has virtually eliminated the reoccurring debris in my reservoir.
I got a kit off eBay that included 3 wix filters for $109. Its made for 6.0 powerstrokes and I adapted it to fit my car. I installed it in front of the transmission (manual) mounted to the sub frame rail. I tied into my block heater line that was installed when I got my frost heater. The brass T in the kit didn't fit as it was for 3/4" hose but the smaller 3/8 T fit the 5/16" line on yhe car and I did a T at the reservoir. I built my own 5/8 to 3/8 T from brass fittings.

What in the world type of coolant are you using? Auto parts store generic green?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
What in the world type of coolant are you using? Auto parts store generic green?
Yes the pink vw stuff gave me nothing but issues with a clogged heater core and oil cooler. Unheard of on a 3 year old vehicle. The green prestone is an organic acid type, mix with any make/ model coolant. I did a full system flush and then installed it. More reading on my issues and reasoning here

I also haven't had a repeat occurrence of the heater core clogging or coolant clouding like others have had

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450667

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Anyone think the AWIC and temps its subjecting the coolant to is past its normal operating temps?

Any MkVII have heater core issues?

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Its a bypass type setup and the coolant flows from the larger line back to the reservoir through the 3/8 line. It does flow because it gets hot!
The only thing I'm seeing is T connections. I'm wondering why the coolant would choose to go through the filter and not bypass the filter through the T.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think I have a 6.0 PowerStroke coolant filter kit sitting in the shed. Might be time to dig it out. :cool:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only thing I'm seeing is T connections. I'm wondering why the coolant would choose to go through the filter and not bypass the filter through the T.

by the looks of it, he replaced an OEM Tee with the brass one, look at the other feeder for the filter goes to somewhere up top.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Anyone think the AWIC and temps its subjecting the coolant to is past its normal operating temps?

Any MkVII have heater core issues?
I think the EGR cooler would subject it to the hottest temps and thats the theory I support thats causing the coolant to break down

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right but that's a constant flow of the coolant loop. Where I think the AWIC is thermostatically controlled circ pump?

whats the stability temps of G13+? does it break down at 250F? 500F?

Can anyone confirm this?

Something of the design of passats is causing the coolant to fail, AWIC is the first thing that comes to mind.

can anyone see-set the circ pump thermostat?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The intercooler loop has no thermostat. The ECU commands the pump and engine fans to run based on intake air temps.

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The intercooler loop has no thermostat. The ECU commands the pump and engine fans to run based on intake air temps.

-J
So the ECU is the "thermostat" via a sensor reading, and thus should be easily adjusted to a lower temp.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well we know it's already trying to get to a lower temp than the main coolant circuit. Go for a drive and then feel the intercooler radiator. I'd guess it will only be just above ambient.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The AWIC won't generate temperatures high enough to harm the coolant. The EGR cooler, on the other hand...

Volkswagen still maintains that the issue is excess flux from the radiator manufacturing process causing the coolant to turn acidic.

Cashcropin

TDI
2014 Passat tdi se dsg
Volkswagen still maintains that the issue is excess flux from the radiator manufacturing process causing the coolant to turn acidic.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Ph of VW coolant?

I haven't checked the new coolant in the bottle but I suspect the ph should be between 9.8 and 10.5. I would expect problems if the ph in the cooling system is less than 9.0. Has anyone checked their ph to test VW's comment about the excess flux issue changing the ph?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
I haven't checked the new coolant in the bottle but I suspect the ph should be between 9.8 and 10.5. I would expect problems if the ph in the cooling system is less than 9.0. Has anyone checked their ph to test VW's comment about the excess flux issue changing the ph?
Assuming that my apparently incorrect pH meter calibration (setting it to 7.0 for distilled water, which I'm told may be nearer to 6) doesn't affect relative pH:
On our 2012, the factory fill now measured at 1.6 less than fresh 50/50 G13. (7.8 vs. 9.4, on my meter). Incremental partial replacement with fresh fluid is reflected in increases in pH that match the dilution by fresh coolant, so I tend to trust these numbers, at least for relative purposes.

So it is more acidic as VW says, but the glycerine content of G13, present in no other coolant, used purely for "reduced environmental impact in its manufacture" (!), may still be the problem. It certainly feels sticky.
Perhaps running with cheap universal coolant, either until all the gunk is out or forever, would be a better idea than continuing to pay double for G13 (and perhaps prolonging the problem) for me, too.

Last edited: