Is there a way to turn off the "Attn: Traffic Congestion" warning?

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have construction on the freeway near where I live, and it REALLY gets old.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Press the star (route guidance) button in the upper right corner and turn the volume all the way down while "she" is talking.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Press the star (route guidance) button in the upper right corner and turn the volume all the way down while "she" is talking.

This^.

I think there are 3 volume types on your car since it has the Navi option.

PHONE volume.
NAVI volume.
RADIO volume.

Each can be adjusted only while it is the output that is active.

Bill

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Obvious smartass answer: Unsubscribe from Sirius Traffic.

Don't mind me.. I'm just ultra jealous and bummed that my '14 didn't come with the 4yr subscription to TravelLink like the '13's did.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI

Don't mind me.. I'm just ultra jealous and bummed that my '14 didn't come with the 4yr subscription to TravelLink like the '13's did.

13's got a 4 yr subscription? how did i miss this?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
13's got a 4 yr subscription? how did i miss this?
Not to music, just to the ancillaries (At least I think not to music.. Otherwise I'd be super jealous...)

And not all 13's, just all 13's I happened to see. Apparently it was some special thing VW did for "Select 2013 Passats." I don't know what "select" means, but I would imagine it means all RNS-510 equipped cars delivered after the deal between VW and Sirius was put in place.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
90 day (3 month) complimentary subscription on all of it I thought. That was the case with my car anyway. I renued for another year of music and was given the option to add the TravelLink. I opted out for a couple reasons; 1) Didn't care to spend the extra money and 2) it's an option that would tell me what I'm already looking at through my windshield and whatever other features TravelLink offered. If I wanna know where a fuel station or any other point of interest is, I'll use my smart(er) phone.

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
90 day for TravelLink and 4yr for traffic.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
My mistake. I was grouping traffic with TravelLink. I haven't heard the notification of "traffic ahead" in a while. I must have turned the NAV volume down. No worries there. As I said, I don't need it to tell me what I can already see in front of me.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
90 day for TravelLink and 4yr for traffic.
This, and my very early build 2013 has it. The traffic info is good when it is present, but is often not present outside of major metro areas (even on Interstates). It also lags real-time conditions by 30 minutes or more, so you can get caught in an accident and it still shows green.

The 4 years of traffic is a nice promo though, and probably longer than I will own the car!

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I pressed the star button on three separate occasions this morning while it was saying "Attention, traffic congestion", and it didn't turn it off. It said "Route Guidance is not currently active" as a response.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
If you turn the volume down during a guidance announcement it will adjust the level for Mac announcement voices, but this will be for all voice guidance not just traffic alerts.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW

My 13 only had 90 days of travel Link. The traffic part still works but as far as I'm concerned, it's about as useless as the radio itself. Nothing like hearing "traffic congestion ahead" AFTER you have passed through it. This is not a one time thing. Happens every single time, or not at all. So, it's no wonder it's free. :rolleyes:

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
90 day (3 month) complimentary subscription on all of it I thought. The was the case with my car anyway. I renued for another year of music and was given the option to add the TravelLink. I opted out for a couple reasons; 1) Didn't care to spend the extra money and 2) it's an option that would tell me what I'm already looking at through my windshield and whatever other features TravelLink offered. If I wanna know where a fuel station or any other point of interest is, I'll use my smart(er) phone.
Felt the same way. I was going to drive the VW more then my other 2 cars which both have Sirius but I have now gone to blue-toothing my phone and pandora and loaded up the hard drive, have a 16gb SD card and the iPod hooked up. Finding no need to renew after my current sub runs out. Will leave it on the jeep as it doesn't have nothing more then a MP3 CD player and aux in plug.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
My 13 only had 90 days of travel Link. The traffic part still works but as far as I'm concerned, it's about as useless as the radio itself. Nothing like hearing "traffic congestion ahead" AFTER you have passed through it. This is not a one time thing. Happens every single time, or not at all. So, it's no wonder it's free. :rolleyes:
If anything, mine reroutes farther from the problem than I would like - on a longish trip at rush hour, it will route around problems that are gone when I get there. I can't recall mine ever declaring congestion ahead when either in it or very close.

Extremely useful to me, and always use it if running a route.

- Tim

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Believe me, I love the technology in theory - the little screen in my dash can tell me traffic conditions, weather, fuel prices, movies, and get music beamed in from space.

However, I already pay a pretty hefty chunk every month for a data plan from Verizon and the information I get on my phone isn't 30 minutes old. It's real time. Between The Weather Channel app, Waze, and Pandora / iTunes radio I find it hard to justify the monthly spend on the Sirius features.

If you add up the probably $20 or so a month for Sirius with all the fixin's and the $18 for CarNet, you could literally be paying $38/month for technology services for your VW. That's a lot of money!

If I can get Sirius to give me the 50% off per year deal again, I'll probably bite as I have grown to love the music and comedy programming, but at any more than that I'll have to pass. It will be hard, I've been an XM subscriber since about 4 months after it went live. Since I know they regularly offer a full year for about $88, in my mind that's basically the value of the service. Anything after that is just extra pocket-lining.