Evaluating 2005 Jetta GLS TDI for Purchase

IchmochteTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS & 2006 New Beetle
Hi,
Thanks to everyone who has provided guidance on purchasing a used TDI. I'm looking at an 05 Jetta TDI this week with 40k on the clock. Seems like a nice car as it is a 1-owner, but is there anything specific to think about with one of these? From what I know, this is a PD engine. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Thanks in advance.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
PD engine is not as coveted as the older mechanical fuel pump engines but they do well if the proper oil has been used. Make sure the previous owners used a VW approved 505.01 engine oil.

I'd say an 05 TDI with only 40,000 miles is a pretty desireable vehicle.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
spoilsport said:
...but they do well if the proper oil has been used. Make sure the previous owners used a VW approved 505.01 engine oil.
I wouldn't say its quite as straightforward as that, there have been cam failures in cars that have a full history of 505.01. From what I have seen its been more luck of the draw than anything else. Would that mean I wouldnt buy a car with a BEW? No, I would just be aware that at 150k to 200k miles I may need to replace a camshaft, so I put back money for that. However, I would certainly look for an ALH first. (99.5-2003)

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
I have an '05 Golf GLS TDI (BEW) w/PD engine - 150,000 miles (almost exactly) and it runs like the day I bought it new.

I've done all the maintenance anyone would do (thanks to the DIY posts, here on TDIclub) and used 506.01 Elf CRV oil every 18k miles and it runs absolutely perfectly with no flaws, spits, sputters, or vibrations whatsoever - runs like a top, so to speak.

So, I do hope my cam shaft won't give up the ghost suddenly - maybe it will, but the way it runs I don't think it will.

From the previous two posts, you'd think all the PD engines were bound to throw a bad cam shaft, like the failure rate is 90%+ or something.

I wonder how true the rumor is that the new 2010 diesel engines all have one or two cylinders melt and completely freeze after 119k miles.....?? It's a terrible affliction for these new 2010s, but sure enough, they won't last past 119k miles, so you should instead buy my PD '05 car for WAY too much money, because mine doesn't have the cylinder melting problems these newer 2010 models have......

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
All kidding aside, I don't have any issues with my '05 PD (BEW) and after 150k miles, it really does run like the day I bought it new.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I don't know how you get from this:

spoilsport said:
I'd say an 05 TDI with only 40,000 miles is a pretty desireable vehicle.
to this:

steadyhand said:
From the previous two posts, you'd think all the PD engines were bound to throw a bad cam shaft, like the failure rate is 90%+ or something.
But hey, I've been wrong before. Recently. :D