Brochure said no TDI

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Picked up a 2016 Passat brochure and it only listed 2 engines, 1.8L and V6, I didn't know they were giving up on the TDI on the Passat?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Surely you knew about Dieselgate???

If not, then no, there are no new diesels being sold at any Volkswagen, Porsche, or Audi dealer in the USA.

Also, didn't you already have a bad experience with a new NMS Passat?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Surely you knew about Dieselgate???

If not, then no, there are no new diesels being sold at any Volkswagen, Porsche, or Audi dealer in the USA.

Also, didn't you already have a bad experience with a new NMS Passat?
well aware of Diesel Flub, the 16 Golf and Sportwagen list a TDI engine as an option, is 15 the last year VW will offer a Passat with the TDI option?...the 13 Passat I owned I believe was built on a Friday afternoon this 15 is really nice to drive and everything works. I'm set, a 15 with an 05 backup.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The '15s and the '16s that had been made have all been sequestered by VW somewhere. It was discussed, probably in Threadzilla, that VW went around and collected all the unsold new '15s that were on dealer lots, the '16s were never distributed. There will be no more TDIs until there is some kind of agreement among VW / EPA / CARB on what to do about Dieselgate.....and maybe not then, depending on what VW decides to do.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
VW might have updated some but not all brochures and removed the diesel option.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are no 2016 TDIs in any model, as Oilhammer said. If you saw a brochure that advertises a 2016, it is wrong.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
as has been said, no '16 TDIs. There are some early production '16 TDIs at some dealers. There is at least one dealer in NOVA with new 15 and 16 TDIs on the lot, but they are not being sold- for now.

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
as has been said, no '16 TDIs. There are some early production '16 TDIs at some dealers. There is at least one dealer in NOVA with new 15 and 16 TDIs on the lot, but they are not being sold- for now.
Same thing at my dealer here in AZ. 15 or 20 TDIs sequestered in the back of the lot. I did pick up a 2016 Jetta brochure that shows a TDI engine option. Must have been an old brochure.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I wonder what prices will be asked of the 15's once they are cleared for sale

oilhammer

TDI
I wonder what prices will be asked of the 15's once they are cleared for sale
Knowing Volkswagen (and if that even happens), they probably will not discount them much.

I tried to buy, in 1995, a new-but-never-sold 1993 Fox. Those were not awful cars really, but were seriously poor sellers here and were often looked over due to the Brazilian exchange rate going wonky right after '87 when they started selling those here and it forced the price of the Fox to jump up to within spitting distance of the US-built (and later Mexican-built) Golf.

Our dealer had actually five '93 Foxes, sitting on the back of the lot, gathering dust, batteries long since flat lined. I offered them $7500 cash for one that was MSRP'd at $10,100. They refused to take it. They would not even try to negotiate. I said I'd buy TWO of them for $7500 each, cash. I'd take the white one and the blue one. Still would not bother to talk. :eek:

So I went and bought another '95 Golf for $14k (at another dealership... which incidentally only had one leftover '93 Fox, and also refused to try and make me a deal for it).

However, I suspect that IF the 2015 TDIs will be actually able to be sold, something I sort of doubt, they will be in much higher demand than the lowly Fox was, and they'll have no trouble selling them for close to their original MSRP. I know I have several people I know waiting for the outcome of this mess so they can buy a new one. One guy is getting a little antsy as his 2006 Jetta, a car he bought in 2005 and planned on driving for 10 years, has not only already gone past his decade mark, it has smoked right on past 300,000 miles... further than any car he has ever owned. I keep telling him not to worry, I'll make it last, but that can be tough to convince someone who has never driven a car that far. And his 2006 is in excellent shape. :cool:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It will be interesting to see. I'm thinking they have more TDIs sitting on lots than Foxes. It is true they're a more desireable car though.

I sure wouldn't mind a discount SEL Premium 16 Passat TDI though :D

-J

oilhammer

TDI
I don't think the Fox was ever caught cheating though. :p

Labcorp was able to get a handful of 2015 Golf Sportwagens before the Failboat set sail. But I have yet to see one in here for service. We service a lot of their 2013-14 cars, though. They even have a few NMS Passats, some 2015 diesels, too. Hate to see VoA lose a customer like that. They seem very happy with their Volkswagen fleet. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was at the dealer we buy parts from today and walked the lot. They only had a handful of TDIs there, fewer than 10. Only two with manuals, one an awful color gold Passat, one a white on black GSW that we had borrowed back around the time of the Fest. The owner was in a meeting, but I want to quiz him on what he can and cannot do with the cars. I wonder if they're prohibited from selling any TDI that has not yet been titled, or if they could sell it, but it would have no warranty. If it was the latter I would make him an offer for the GSW. I have no use for a VW warranty, anyway.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
Indigo blue, that gold Passat manual is best color imho, we we about to give deposit on it back in the fall before diesel gate shut down . Very annoying lol last update from them was hopefully vw would work out deal by Jan ..... Oh well.