Anyone else have fitment issues with the AFE Power exhaust

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Put my AFE power exhaust on finally.

Fitment was dodgy to say the least.

Everything fit fine on the front pipe, but when I put the rear pipe on it was sticking out way too far. I'd seen others' photos so I knew what it should look like and the hanger wouldn't mate up.

Figured out that the front pipe was 3 or so inches too long. It was perfect in all other regards, but it was like they formed it on the bender and then didn't cut off the excess length on the rear portion. Chop saw and fixed in 5 mins, but was scratching my head for a few there.

The other problem I had was the supplied clamp did not clamp the slip joint tight enough and it the tailpipe had rotated downward during the test drive. New clamp and fixed, but instead of a bottomed out 2.5 inch, I ended up with a stretched out 2.25 inch.

Just curious if others had experienced anything similar.

Other than that, the exhaust is great. TIG welding was spot on, the bends were well formed with very little, if any wrinkling.

Sounds like stock. Anyone who says they "feel" any power without a chip is smoking crack. Until then this is purely a cosmetic enhancement.

Kyle

Last edited:

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Maybe it was the exhaust for the long wheelbase version of the Passat. ;)
It certainly seemed that way.

It was the correct part, at least according to the box, all the pictures and the instructions.

It also fit perfectly in all other regards, so the fact that the NMS is pretty unique architecture-wise in the VW world, I can't see it being the "wrong part."

Just seemed to be a simple quality issue, where that last chop on that pipe wasn't in the right place.

K.