One year and 14,000 miles later

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
It has been a year of learning the zen of SEL TDI. I must admit that when I first bought the car and became a member of this forum, and read comments by posters regarding the break in period and the car would settle in mpg wise and perform better as it acquired some miles on the clock, I discounted those comments to a degree.
Well, just having returned from a trip to the Napa Valley from Seattle, I have to say that this car has continued to meld together providing a better ride, better mpgs and better handling. I have also learned how to make the most out of the torque band and rarely(if ever) see rpms over 2700 rpms. By way of an analogy, I am simplistically reminded of lapping valves by hand when doing a good old fashion valve job--- Things just get more mated and harmonized.
The car is better today than it was 14000 miles ago and I expect it to continue to harmonize for quite a while before I start seeing out of spec looseness from parts being worn.
It is really a great car, and I thoroughly look forward to getting behind the wheel every time I need to head out.
Just a side comment, I rode--for the first time--in a new Prius recently. There were four adults in the car and I was flabbergasted when we took to climbing a hill that I had driven with the same adults in the TDI. The poor Prius strained and petered out on the way up the incline., it was shocking how one dimensional its performance was. I thought, "Wow, a fully loaded Prius comparison to a fully loaded TDI mpg comparison and owner satisfaction survey that would shock the Prius fanboy crowds !!"
If I were working on a marketing program for VW, I'd be doing it with a family load and NOT just a driver or driver and passenger.

Great car which really shines on good secondary roads in hill country.

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Just a side comment, I rode--for the first time--in a new Prius recently. There were four adults in the car and I was flabbergasted when we took to climbing a hill that I had driven with the same adults in the TDI. The poor Prius strained and petered out on the way up the incline., it was shocking how one dimensional its performance was. I thought, "Wow, a fully loaded Prius comparison to a fully loaded TDI mpg comparison and owner satisfaction survey that would shock the Prius fanboy crowds !!"
If I were working on a marketing program for VW, I'd be doing it with a family load and NOT just a driver or driver and passenger.
Great car which really shines on good secondary roads in hill country.
Could not agree more. I just returned from a trip to Eastern TN, including a side trip over the mountain down to Asheville, NC. The TDI just eats those inclines for breakfast. Countless times I would pass people up the hill because of how effortlessly the diesel climbs and their gassers would start choking. Really a pleasure to drive the TDI in that kind if terrain. I've driven the same trip in a Nissan Xterra and Subaru Outback, both with V6s, and the TDI was by far more enjoyable to drive. Also drove it in a 4 cylinder Rav4, but that's really not fair to compare. :)

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Just did a run with the utility trailer to pick up 1200lbs of crushed rock, so about 1800 lb pull,,, walked away no problem.