Passat auto vs. Jetta 5 spd in the snow?

goosegunner

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex silver, 2006, DSG, white
Just curious if anyone has owned or driven both a Passat auto and a Jetta 5spd in the snow. I know the Passat has traction control. Don't think the Jetta Manuals do?

Opinions on which is better in snow?

I have a fairly steep driveway and live in rural Wisconsin, I need something that can make it up the driveway. I know people say the snow tires mean everything.

I have had people come to our house with minivans with all season tires and make it about half way. Then when they back down they slide sideways off the drive. Something about the engine always wants to go first. Though I don't think they had anti-lock brakes.(old Van)

I can almost always make it with my rear wheel drive f150 with snow tires. As long as The snow isn't too deep. If it is I Park at the bottom and make a pass with the John deer. Problem solved.

gg

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
We have a 2000 passat 1.8T sedan with the tip transmission and a 97 passat TDI wagon 5 speed. Never had any problems with either here in the White Mts of NH during snow storms but we run studded Hakkas on all four wheels on each car during the winter months

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
I had a 1999 Jetta TDI that I replaced with a 2003 1.8T Passat last September.

I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT the Passat is much better in the snow.

1. The ground clearance is much higher. You won't get highsided in the snow during lane changes etc.

2. The ESP / ASR works quite well. Although skilled driving can make the Jetta equally well.

3. 4 Channel ABS. I always found on my Jetta that sometimes the rear would want to come around on slow speed turns when braking. I attributed that to the 3 channel ABS system (both rear wheels tied together) on the Jetta. Whatever the reason the rear stays more planted in the Passat.

4. Longer Wheelbase. Just a matter of physics, the Passat is longer therefore a little more stable in the slippery stuff.

5. The OEM Tires on the Passat are the Continental Eco-Plus radial instead of the Michelin Energy Tires. While Michelin is a favorite brand of mine, the Conti's work better in the snow. Not sure why.

Hope this all helps in the decision process. While I still think the Jetta does quite well in the snow, the Passat does better for the reasons above. I get to test my winter skills every year with driving in Detroit, Northern Michigan including the UP, Cleveland, and the New England area.

KenH

Veteran Member
I can't make the comparison you asked for since the only VW's we've owned are two present generation Passats. Our older Passat has been as competent in the snow as any other FWD car we have owned, which is to say very good. Our new Passat hasn't seen a snow flake yet, not even the one on the MFA. The Passat is certainly much better in snow than the RWD cars I've owned: a 1974 Plymouth (remember them?) Satellite and two Mazda pickups. I would have to think that if your F150 has any advantage over the Passat it would be ground clearance. It's too bad the TDI's don't come with 4 Motion. They almost need it on dry roads, the torque in first gear is about the limit for FWD

Ken

blancoh2o

TDI
04 Passat Wagon TDI
We have 1998 Jetta GLX with a VR6 and just purchased a 2004 Passat TDI wagon. If the new wagon performs anywhere close to the Jetta I will be extremely happy. Last winter we had about 16 inches of snow sitting around (they don't know how to plow around here) and the Jetta drove great. It has worn in low pro tires and it still went everywhere I wanted to go.
I swear by FWD VWs in the snow. I used to own a 84 GTI rabbit when I lived in the mountains in Colorado. I ran studs on all 4s and that thing was unstoppable.
Either way, I don't think you can go wrong the Passat and Jetta should be great snow cars. Also the auto may make it a little easier to start from a stop without initial wheel spin. I will have to wait about 4 months to know for sure though.