TDI Tractor?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If I remember correctly, 4th gear is direct drive. So wheel speed would be the same as engine speed. That's if the diff is 1:1, and I haven't ever looked to see what that ratio is.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If by "direct drive" you mean the wheels and the engine are turning at the same speed, that's not addressing what I said about the differential - it's just a final drive ratio of 1:1.

You still have an open differential in there (which is why when you go around turns in 4th gear, the inside tire doesn't scrub/chirp).

The only ways I can see the stock transmission working to drive a generator:

1. Two independent, equal-sized generators, one attached to each output. Downside: if the load isn't perfectly balanced at all times, the moment one gets more load it will immediately stop spinning and all drive goes to the other (and your diff probably explodes), like sitting with ice under only one tire.

2. Replace differential unit with a "spool", eliminating the differential function completely.

3. Same as #2, but via "Lincoln Locker" (stock differential with all its internal parts welded together). "Lincoln" as in "Lincoln Electric Welding"...

Still using the trans in the car to do this doesn't seem like the best idea. Someone here (think it was N1DAS) once found an ALH or ALH-like engine powering a generator at a cell phone tower years ago - there's a thread around here somewhere about it. If you really want to repurpose your engine for generating, maybe try to track down one of those for the the conversion parts.

geezer88

TDI
2002 jetta
To really know how well the motor would work in a tractor, you need to examine the torq vs rpm curve of the proposed engine. Older small tractor engines max out at 2000 to maybe 2600 rpm. My 70 year old Ford 8n has roughly 120 cubic inches and develops 25 hp at 2200rpm. Displacement is about 2 liters. The flathead four doesn't breathe very well, so torque rises with reduced rpm. This makes a nice lugging machine that is nice to use.

As far as overspeeding a tractor transmission, the longevity would be more sensitive to torque than rpm. Even old machines have ball or roller bearings, so tooth loading is the big factor, and that relates directly to torque.

On the other hand a turbo diesel antique tractor that could go twice as fast in each gear would turn heads in a parade or tractor pull.

All in all, it sounds like a fun project. I'd love to see a video of it in action.

tom

ClaudettSwentzel1

TDI
SCR 231 PS 4MOTION
Don't forget about Craigslist or eBay if you're looking for a serious bargain on a new tractor. You may be able to find some real steals out there, but it's important to read up on what you're getting and make sure it's a good deal before buying. A "good deal" will depend on your needs and where you're buying it from. I've found that https://www.machinerydealer.co.uk/compact-tractors-for-sale/ is actually my best option for tractors because sellers there tend to have more flexibility in terms of price.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Don't forget about Craigslist or eBay if you're looking for a serious bargain on a new tractor.
thanks... that was so usefull for an old thread.... i don't think we would have considered that. here i have been going to walmart and have not been happy with the selection. maybe ill try what you recommended!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
thanks... that was so usefull for an old thread.... i don't think we would have considered that. here i have been going to walmart and have not been happy with the selection. maybe ill try what you recommended!
:rolleyes:

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Don't forget about Craigslist or eBay if you're looking for a serious bargain on a new tractor.
I'm a farmer and I can say that at least in my area, you're not getting a tractor for any good price these days. If you do it's probably in need of a new engine or something. The original poster, while long gone from tdiclub, already has a tractor that needs an engine.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I got a tdi planned to be a boat engine. Whitbred tuned everything for it immo delete etc fueling for set rpm to reduce egt's.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
How hard is it going to be to put a governor on the TDI? Operating a tractor with a manual throttle would be horrible.
And there is ONE of the issues. I bet Malone could rig the throttle code to instead deliver an RPM request vs a torque command. Not wanting to run w/o governor. Picking the right beast to transplant it into is quite another story; 90 hp and 175 ft-lb is a lot for a tractor. Lawn-mowing compacts are 25-50 hp for the most part... :) That said, an 8N with a Zephyr engine would be a bit entertaining.
cheers,
Douglas