Going from stage 4 to stage 5. Decrease in MPG?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
06 Jetta BRM DSG. Installed a Malone 1.5 tune and I was very pleased with the power increase and the extra 2-3 mile per gallon fuel economy compared to stock. Recently I have installed a GTB1749V turbo from Darkside developments, EGR delete and straight pipe, along with a Stage IV tune from Malone. Again I am very pleased with the way the car handles and I am getting a nice increase in MPGs. I always drive conservatively, but it's nice to know that I have extra power if needed. The car gets now easily 50 MPG in cold MI winter, while before it was barely getting 40 MPG in the same weather conditions.
The turbo is good for 200 HP with a stage 5 tune and PD 150 injectors upgrade. My question is: will the car maintain its current MPGs if driven conservatively, or a stage 5 with PD 150 injectors is a totally different animal under similar operating circumstances?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Mine has Stage 5 with PD150 injectors, DSG and GTB1749VC. 33-38 mpg city commute(bumper to bumper traffic), 47-50 mpg highway during the winter. Driving over the Appalachian mountains during the summer results in a consistent 50-54 mpg.

I have around 45,000 miles on this setup and love it. I drive it hard and have had zero issues. I do have PD150 head bolts, it's cheap insurance to put in while you're changing the injectors.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Mine has Stage 5 with PD150 injectors, DSG and GTB1749VC. 33-38 mpg city commute(bumper to bumper traffic), 47-50 mpg highway during the winter. Driving over the Appalachian mountains during the summer results in a consistent 50-54 mpg.

I have around 45,000 miles on this setup and love it. I drive it hard and have had zero issues. I do have PD150 head bolts, it's cheap insurance to put in while you're changing the injectors.
Yep, forgot to mention that I have also installed last week the stronger PD150 ARL headbolts from Darkside.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...d-bolt-set-for-1-9-2-0-8v-tdi-pd-engines.html

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i was making 230HP and still getting 53-55MPG on average between track events. even with a full day of autocross i would still get in the mid 40's. Drove it from Northern Utah to Washington D.C. in 29 hours at an average of 82MPH and i still got a total average of 64mpg because it was all highway. and most of that was flat AF for about 400 miles at a time in Nebraska and so forth. On my drive out there from DC, i got 23mpg becuase i did most of my driving at night doing 135MPH lol
Now when im at the track, i fill up just enough fuel to drive + half a tank and i reliably get about 8MPG, yes 8 becuase race car and WOT 99.9% of the time on the track doing hot laps.
no reason you CANT have the best of both worlds with a TDI, you have to build it right though.